Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
May 7, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #661 of 779
Hi, in your comparasion section of the review with Hiby R6 Gen III you have mentioned "Switching to Class A in R6iii does make a difference, especially in taking the edge of the treble, but it is still no match for N3U even in Solid State mode."

Can you please further elobrate why you think the R6 Gen III is no match for the Cayin N3 Ultra, like which elements of the sound are you finding better specifically? TIA.
Great review 👏 👌

May 7, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #663 of 779
This DAP is very close to ideal for my needs except for a couple features that I'd like some info on. Is there a way to configure this DAP to support separate eq for left and right channel? Is there an option to use or configure this device to use fir filters for eq? Since this is an offline only device, does it support things like using Qobuz files in offline mode?

May 7, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #664 of 779
This DAP is very close to ideal for my needs except for a couple features that I'd like some info on. Is there a way to configure this DAP to support separate eq for left and right channel? Is there an option to use or configure this device to use fir filters for eq? Since this is an offline only device, does it support things like using Qobuz files in offline mode?
No separate EQ for left and right, as far as I know. I think it was already discussed.
What do you mean by support for Qobuz offline files? Since N3U is strictly an offline device, you cannot install Qobuz and download music to play offline, if this is what you meant. You can, however, buy music from Qobuz, download it, copy it to the card and play it on the N3U.
Or you can use N3U as an external DAC to play music from your phone.

May 7, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #665 of 779
No separate EQ for left and right, as far as I know. I think it was already discussed.
What do you mean by support for Qobuz offline files? Since N3U is strictly an offline device, you cannot install Qobuz and download music to play offline, if this is what you meant. You can, however, buy music from Qobuz, download it, copy it to the card and play it on the N3U.
Or you can use N3U as an external DAC to play music from your phone.
Aw dang. yeah, not really what I'm looking for. A streaming DAP that uses tubes and supports FIR is what I'm looking for. Guess the industry isn't at the point where economies of scale allow all those features to be implemented in a DAP at this price point.

May 7, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #666 of 779
Aw dang. yeah, not really what I'm looking for. A streaming DAP that uses tubes and supports FIR is what I'm looking for. Guess the industry isn't at the point where economies of scale allow all those features to be implemented in a DAP at this price point.
Ummm Astell&Kern SP3000T?

May 7, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #668 of 779
So I'm looking into a DAP and having owned the N3 Pro in the past I've been looking at the Ultra. I had three big problems with the pro and wonder if they have been rectified with this new version.

1. Poor battery life
2. Unit gets hot.
3. Buzzing when unit gets bumped.

May 7, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #669 of 779
So I'm looking into a DAP and having owned the N3 Pro in the past I've been looking at the Ultra. I had three big problems with the pro and wonder if they have been rectified with this new version.

1. Poor battery life
2. Unit gets hot.

I'm not sure what the N3Pro got for battery life, but I'm getting at least 10 hours. It's a lot better than my RS6 and seems comparable to my RS2. It gets warm (I always have one of the tube modes on), but not hot. Definitely cooler than the RS6 and N7. I haven't heard any noise when jostling the N3Ultra around. I'm loving it!

May 7, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #670 of 779

1. Poor battery life
2. Unit gets hot.
Not bad on tube mode 4.4 low gain 5-7 hours real world

No even with leather case

No I did a 1000+ Stair trail climb No issues.

It has other issues:
Software experience sucks big time
Picks up's interference just looking at it.

Working on Video now.
I have a love hate relationship with this dap.

May 8, 2024 at 2:10 AM Post #671 of 779
I got my N3Ultra yesterday. I've been a happy N3Pro user since first month of release but a new version was of course tempting (I might have done my order before I even realized that there's actually a 4,4mm tube output and tube lineout now). I just switched my SD card with my highly curated FLAC library from my N3Pro so I can't run them side-by-side but no reason right now, better to just concentrate in the music. Updated to 1.1 firmware.

First of all, hurray for new volume button :D The one on my N3Pro got issues after couple months of use (and I could have handled it under warranty) but it was "passable" as it got the job done each time, just not very responsive/pleasant.

Didn't have much time for listening to full albums yet, but I spent time to familiarize myself with the UI and to test all my different use cases. The UI seems fine, it's not super responsive but it's more responsive than in N3Pro and a big thing is that it's actually recognizing almost all of my album covers now. I was a bit worried when reading this thread because the same 1000*1000 size limit got mentioned...it wasn't like an actual "hard cap" in N3Pro either (but a large number of my album cover files were too big regardless) but with N3Ultra the number of unrecognized covers is so small that I can just spend an hour in google and finetune it. But I understand why that is considered a limit because having a bunch of larger image files probably puts a burden on the album scrolling. Anyway, my main use case is scrolling my album library and selecting from there, so this works great.

In general, there's a bunch of things in the UI that you don't immediately realize, I recommend to spend time to check each small button in the main screens. It seems to cover my use pretty well, and there was some improvements in the firmware as well. One big improvement is that you don't need quite the same finger dexterity (as in N3Pro) when skipping to a specific alphabetic letter in album/artist view. However, I get the feeling that my small fingers are nice to have with this device as well :)

The leather case is excellent! Happy with how that navy blue looks (and if I keep my N3Pro in some use then that's my green one). Feels very good in hand.

The artificial tube light is probably not my favorite... it's maybe growing on me after I switched from transparent to leather case, but I recall I preferred the one in N3Pro (was that "artificially enhanced" as well?) as it had some nice character. It's possible that I keep the N3Pro in occasional use as some kind of old-school device (but need a new SD card for it then...).

In terms of sound impressions, I'm pleased but need a lot more time with it. In any case the "basic" use case of classic tube has great dynamics and character (and available in 4.4mm!). I felt there's maybe a bit more grounds for switching between classic/modern depending on record, with N3Pro I just after some point kept it at classic (triode) all the time. I did wonder at some point if it's possible that the N3Pro is a tad warmer in sound (classic/triode), but that might be placebo and I can't A/B them easily as I switched the SD card. Not sure about burn-in relevance, but I'll burn in by using the thing :D

Anyone with impressions with Cayin C9? I believe one of the promo pictures (page 10) has it used with 3.5mm interconnect and then 4.4 mm headphone out, with (classic) tubes from the N3Pro and mid gain. I'm just wondering what's considered "recommended" for this from audio science point-of-view since there's a lot of variables. I had a bit of time with it and I seemed to settle with doing "modern" tube out of N3Ultra (and tube/class A from C9 as usual). But it's like "double tubes" I suppose, even though the tube characteristics are not extensive. Of course, you can do the line-out in solid state too. Need to spend more time with it in any case.

Couple of questions: is there any kind of wallpaper functionality if I add some image file somewhere? The settings list "wallpaper" but there's nothing further. I feel like it might benefit from some color other than shades of gray.
Can I adjust somewhere the idle time when the screen goes to sleep mode (also when playing)? It seems a bit too fast, I think I'd rather just charge it a bit more often. edit: found this under system settings / "display"

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #672 of 779
Here is my thoughts and experiences with this DAP. Like I said I have a love hate relationship with this player.

Love the sound even though its not what I was expecting, but the user interface really does fall way behind in comparison to every other player I own or have tested.

Overall experience leaves you wondering what Cayin was thinking on pushing out this release half baked.

May 8, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #673 of 779
Love the sound even though its not what I was expecting, (...)
After 15 days with the N3U I have to say that my listening experience is extremely satisfactory. Focusing solely on audio playback, this was my purpose and it has been fulfilled. It seems to me to be a very minimalist DAP by eliminating everything superfluous to keep the essentials. I choose the album, press play and immerse myself in what really matters to me. By the way, the channel separation is fantastic.

Subjectively speaking, it is a success.

May 8, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #674 of 779
As a fan of the old pre android Sony daps with their simplicity I rather enjoy the no frills ui of the N3U everything I need for playback at finger tip plus good playlist function with no song limit. Well I have 2000 songs on mine filtered from my 30,000 songs on my SD. I said before my only gripe is grey scale interface I want some colour. It even picks up all of my album art.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back