Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Mar 9, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #76 of 782
Following with great interest, I almost bought the N3pro many times - the Ultra might push me over the edge finally...

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #77 of 782
Oh, heck, I'd have been happy if it had been stripped down even more. I could have lived without balanced altogether and been fine with a dedicated 3.5mm, analog-only line out to an external amp in order to drive my full-sized headphones and power-hungry earbuds. Especially so too if it knocked off a substantial amount of the purchase price.
I think N3Pro would be your targeted DAP.
Maybe one with a spoiled WiFi and BT will get a bigger discount from the resale market?

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #78 of 782
I think N3Pro would be your targeted DAP.
Maybe one with a spoiled WiFi and BT will get a bigger discount from the resale market?
Yeah, I love my N3pro. But I'd have to move it to get the Ultra, been waiting for something similar...Nice...

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #79 of 782
Yeah, I love my N3pro. But I'd have to move it to get the Ultra, been waiting for something similar...Nice...
Yap, I still love my N3Pro too. Think will get N3U too as I would like to connect the tube LO to XD05PRO.

My C9 tray is gone, and don't know how long it would take to get a new tray (@Andykong can give some advice please?)

If I have the C9, can try the pre-out for N3U to see if it works fine.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #80 of 782
I really am happy with my N3 pro but given the use of 'real' tubes, able to use the tubes with 4.4 balanced output, and KEEPING THE SAME PRICE I will be buying this new.

Future smaller tubes to consider: Mullard cv3986 or Mullard CV4503. Probably a far larger size and 4-5x the price though.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #81 of 782
Definitely one of the highlights of the CJ NYC'24 show for me, in Tube-Classic mode from 4.4mm BAL output :wink:

1710040110625.png

Mar 9, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #82 of 782
Mar 10, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #84 of 782
What is its power output?

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #85 of 782
The big question for me is it going to be a big improvement over the N3pro which I still live dearly.

Since @MusicTeck is a Cayin dealer, I’m sure Andrew will be stocking the Ultra. Ask Andrew if you can have one sent to demo; he puts a security hold on your credit card in case there’s an issue. Good guy to work with. ✌️

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #86 of 782
Since @MusicTeck is a Cayin dealer, I’m sure Andrew will be stocking the Ultra. Ask Andrew if you can have one sent to demo; he puts a security hold on your credit card in case there’s an issue. Good guy to work with. ✌️
Unfortunately I'm in UK so not really feasible will have to wait for reviews/USER impressions

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #87 of 782
Unfortunately I'm in UK so not really feasible will have to wait for reviews/USER impressions
Understand. I’m sure you’ll have lots of user feedback to read: this dap looks to be a potential big seller.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #88 of 782
I wish you guys would've made a bigger screen on this for the price increase...I dont want DAPs that look like a Sony NX300 like its 7 years ago when there are others in this price range with full screens.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #89 of 782
Tube glow has winning superiority over a larger screen, maybe they were thinking of battery life?
I wish you guys would've made a bigger screen on this for the price increase...I dont want DAPs that look like a Sony NX300 like its 7 years ago when there are others in this price range with full screens.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #90 of 782
Tube glow has winning superiority over a larger screen, maybe they were thinking of battery life?

Yep, it's not exactly the Android dap to mimic smartphone touch interface for streaming; so for local audio playback or to use as usb-dac I think it will be sufficient. And I do agree, big screen was probably not their priority, especially since it will drain more battery and will create more interference with tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back