Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
May 11, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #1,051 of 1,181
It looks like they have an analog, wired input and a digital, wireless input. So I’d assume the same thing you do, the question is, do you do anything that requires their internal DSP? Room correction is critical for me, so I’d certainly go the wireless route if the analog path would bypass that.

I guess DSP can only be applied to the digital signal. It would suck to lose the room correction. Maybe the digital signal is our best bet.
If you run wired XLR from a DAC/preamp to Buchardt A500 / A10s it will bypass the room correction as that is processed by the Platin hub prior to the WISA wireless transmission to the speakers. (With XLR to the upcoming Buchardt Sub 10 subwoofer I believe you'll be able to use the sub to do the room correction rather than the Platin hub, then XLR out from the sub to the speakers.)

It's not possible to bypass the internal DAC in the A500 / A10s using the XLR inputs as it's the speakers' DSP that applies the master tunings. To me there is an audible difference when using a preamp vs wireless with the Platin hub. FWIW several reviewers have noticed this too. One hypothesis would be that the ADC>DAC conversion applied to the XLR input is transparent enough to retain some of the differences imparted by the upstream components. I hope to give this a real test with the Wandla GSE spatial enhancement mode for speakers – assuming this makes a reasonably substantial difference to the sound in general, I'm hoping that it's still pretty obvious (and still sounds good!) having gone through the ADC step in the A500s.

May 12, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #1,055 of 1,181
I cannot decide. First, it’s the price. I can buy a second hand unit for the office at this amount. And also, I invested in MQA and do not wanna lose it. Not sure what to do
If I have understood correctly, you can basically roll back to the other version if you really want to, but I don’t know if there is any chance of getting your money back - they could tie the software to your serial number or some other identifier and give you a trial period, but I really don’t know yet how they’re going to handle this.

May 12, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #1,057 of 1,181
I think you a
If I have understood correctly, you can basically roll back to the other version if you really want to, but I don’t know if there is any chance of getting your money back - they could tie the software to your serial number or some other identifier and give you a trial period, but I really don’t know yet how they’re going to handle this.
I think you are right, and they are going to lock the code to your unit.

May 12, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #1,059 of 1,181
Did anyone compare the Wandla with the dCs Lina? I am very curious

❗️This is a completly different experience the WANDLA GSE as with all ohers❗

Why a strong buy from my side?
What does the DCS cost?
How much does the Dave cost?
What does the ...... etc etc etc cost?
I'm just laughing about it 🤣
Where differences are only marginally perceptible.... tens of thousands of euros are wasted (my personal opinion)
The whole thing is then perhaps preceded by headphones that are technically or tonally not good and not even close to being able to show the strengths of these devices
We also spend a lot of money on cables 🙈
As I said, only for minimal changes to the performance
Shouldn't the goal be to achieve a performance in a different way that you have never achieved before❓
If you think that you will still be listening to your music via headphones in the next few years at home, this GSE Edition is a real MUST HAVE👍
(It would be contradictory to deny it)
I can promise you one thing: the others who spend a lot more money on their electronics won't even come close to the performance what you get
from the Ferrum GSE with your headphones
Therefore, the proclaimed price is downright a bargain in contrast to among the many others

NOMAX

PS.Yes, that's how it is.....when I like something and I'm convinced, I let everyone know 😎
(And you can believe me... it's getting harder and harder to convince me from the manufacturer's side because i am the strictest off all 😈)

I think I'll crap in my pants when I dock the GSE to my HE1 🤣
Because it was incredible and very fascinating with other models👍👍

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #1,060 of 1,181
Sounds exciting, @Nomax! Is the major factor for you the spatial enhancement mode? If so that's awesome as it's the feature I'm most interested in, for both HP and speakers, that really sets GSE apart from other DACs IMO.

Hopefully there will be some more impressions of GSE coming shortly – I'd love to hear from a few other folks before pulling the trigger.

May 13, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #1,061 of 1,181
I've also given the GSE a try in Munich and I was very impressed. Especially the spatial enhancement and impact+ both are very impressive and convince you to stay enabled all the time in an instant. Very much looking forward for the conversion pack to get available for purchase for my Wandla (target is some time in June apparently). If you already have Wandla, the GSE conversion is a no brainer in my opinion.

Also had a nice chat with the Oor Designer, who was very happy to be able to try the whole stack with my Mod House Tungsten. That combo definitely sounded very impressive.

1715572714531.png

May 13, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #1,062 of 1,181
@CompetentAccident

There is the Zähl HM1 amplifier that I was the first to report on here on Head Fi.....that also has a kind of spatial enhancement....but with the GSE this is much better realized and implemented, in addition there are other features that this GSE version provides for listening through headphones...and only 3200 Euros for that and not 8500 Euros
I see this GSE Wandla more as a headphone processor and not as a DAC
Personally, I would never buy a DAC for 3.000 euros🙈😂, but I would buy something that makes the headphone performance seem completly different from the very first second😉

NOMAX

PS.My conclusion
Wandla without these features👎👎👎 and with 👍👍👍

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #1,063 of 1,181
Had two phone calls today with two acousticians who said the same and also laughed positive about it😂
They also mean if you have the GSE,there is no need for any further discussion about the spatial hearing/room representation via headphones
Because technically a transducer in its basket with an ear pad will never be able to do that...not even in many years
❗️The only thing you need are models that are technically very good as well as tonally very balanced sounding❗
The rest will be done by the GSE Wandla 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #1,065 of 1,181
Had two phone calls today with two acousticians who said the same and also laughed positive about it😂
They also mean if you have the GSE,there is no need for any further discussion about the spatial hearing/room representation via headphones
Because technically a transducer in its basket with an ear pad will never be able to do that...not even in many years
❗️The only thing you need are models that are technically very good as well as tonally very balanced sounding❗
The rest will be done by the GSE Wandla 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol
Now you have me thinking. Between the Dan Clark Audio E3 and the Meze Liric II, I was trying to figure out which headphone to buy. From what I understand the E3s are a great headphone. They're more detailed than the Liric II but offer less bass. I like bass so I was leaning toward the Liric which is also rated well. Well if the impact + could offset the less bass of the E3, it makes that headphone a really good option. 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back