FiiO M23, AK4191EQ+AK4499EX, THX AAA-78+, Dual Type-C Ports, Dual-Core Fast Charging, 1000mW+1000mW @32Ω
May 5, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #271 of 363
I do have USB Audio Player Pro and it has the best UI from what I have seen with android music players but Neutron Player has 64 bit processing, oversampling and other settings that will just give you a better sound quality in the end compared to USB Audio Player. Far better soundstage, layering, dynamics and analog presentation with a properly configuired Neutron player.
where can i get the Neutron Player with rooted settings ?

May 5, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #272 of 363
These are the Neutron settings I use on the DX320 as recommended by whitigir from a DX320 optimizing thread
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx320-optimizing-discussions.963737/

The steps were listed out when an slightly older version of Neutron was around but it should still be similar for the current version of Neutron.

"AndroidOS: The best way to listen to your AndroidOS is actually by Neutron optimized settings.

1/ download Google Play store from APK pure . Log in, download Neutron. You may have to keep connecting to WiFi for about 15 minutes and playing music, so neutron can upload it registered key to unlock itself

*Notice*. For now, Neutron will not work until you tick up 64 bit processor. This will be your primary steps

2/ Scanning your music, wait for it to be done

3/ primary steps

Setting > playback > 64-bit Processing . Then tap out and swipe up to close the app completely

4/ Serting > playback > Resampling > Audiophile

5/ setting > connection and controls > stop it output detached > click on play if output attached setting > turn all of them off

6/ Audio Hardware > pull all latency down to 8/2, the lowest you can, whatever !

Upmix On
Dither Off
Ultrasonic filter Off
Hardware gain Off
Audio Focus On
Direct USB access On
DSD over PCM On
OverSampling On —-> 16X !
Follow Source frequency On"

May 5, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #273 of 363
Rooting process (using QFIL program) should also be very similar to the DX320 since both the DX320 and M23 use the Snapdraggon 660 processor but you will need the fire-hose and image file from FiiO specific for the M23.

May 5, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #274 of 363
These are the Neutron settings I use on the DX320 as recommended by whitigir from a DX320 optimizing thread

The steps were listed out when an slightly older version of Neutron was around but it should still be similar for the current version of Neutron.

"AndroidOS: The best way to listen to your AndroidOS is actually by Neutron optimized settings.

1/ download Google Play store from APK pure . Log in, download Neutron. You may have to keep connecting to WiFi for about 15 minutes and playing music, so neutron can upload it registered key to unlock itself

*Notice*. For now, Neutron will not work until you tick up 64 bit processor. This will be your primary steps

3/ primary steps

Setting > playback > 64-bit Processing . Then tap out and swipe up to close the app completely

5/ setting > connection and controls > stop it output detached > click on play if output attached setting > turn all of them off

6/ Audio Hardware > pull all latency down to 8/2, the lowest you can, whatever !

Upmix On
Dither Off
Ultrasonic filter Off
Hardware gain Off
Audio Focus On
Direct USB access On
DSD over PCM On
I found a Neutron Player on my Android phone and applied this settings. Do you think it sounds better than the UAPP now ?

May 5, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #275 of 363
Rooting process (using QFIL program) should also be very similar to the DX320 since both the DX320 and M23 use the Snapdraggon 660 processor but you will need the fire-hose and image file from FiiO specific for the M23.
I don't received my m23 yet, but why must root it if the Neutron works on my phone with this settings ?

May 5, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #276 of 363
I don't received my m23 yet, but why must root it if the Neutron works on my phone with this settings ?
Well with root you can control the CPU cores and assign other cores like GPU ect. This technically means you can boost performance for audio on android mode while having more battery life while on android mode.

May 7, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #279 of 363

3/ primary steps

Upmix On
Dither Off
Ultrasonic filter Off
Hardware gain Off
Audio Focus On
Direct USB access On
DSD over PCM On
Always open to try new players, but in this case I didn't like the "analog-ness" of the sound with this particular setting.

Oversampling is a controversial subject in terms of benefit/harm but turning it to 16x and off I much prefer having off, the sound blooms and has a blurriness to it.

The feature is available in UAPP if you want to use it, but it'll always be upsampled to the highest supported sample rate of the dac instead of allowing you to choose the multiplier.

Screenshot_20240507_153135_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #280 of 363
Always open to try new players, but in this case I didn't like the "analog-ness" of the sound with this particular setting.

Oversampling is a controversial subject in terms of benefit/harm but turning it to 16x and off I much prefer having off, the sound blooms and has a blurriness to it.

The feature is available in UAPP if you want to use it, but it'll always be upsampled to the highest supported sample rate of the dac instead of allowing you to choose the multiplier.

Screenshot_20240507_153135_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
the biggest flaw of the neutron is that it distorts above a certain volume, and this is ridiculous at this level, the uapp sounds clearer

May 7, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #281 of 363
the biggest flaw of the neutron is that it distorts above a certain volume, and this is ridiculous at this level, the uapp sounds clearer
Haven't had any issue because I usually keep a 15% margin from the max volume but I have noticed it's louder at the same volume setting.

But yeah, makes sense. Maybe you could try applying a preamp value of -5.

May 7, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #282 of 363
I personally never noticed any distortion or bloom to the sound, I just compare it to UAP with my Annihilator 2023 and I can clearly hear a larger soundstage, more layered sound, better separation and clarity. UAP might have better bass slam but Neutron has better bass quality the settings on that thread are probably specific to the DX320 though, and knowing whitigir, he is probably basing his configuration off of a modded AMP12 amp module too.

If only Neutron could have the UI of USB Audio Player Pro. I would pay good money for that.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #284 of 363
Picked up the FiiO M23 the minute it arrived on my shores. Am very impressed with it so far. I count myself lucky that it is playing well with most of my IEMs, which range from reasonably bright to exceedingly dark. They are making the latter much more balanced (and tolerable).

May 7, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #285 of 363
Looks like an interesting player. Maybe I’ll head down to a local retailer to try this weekend haha. Always on the look out for something smaller, lighter but still as competent for IEMs.

But hmm won’t a single AKM 4499ex be not a true balance (at least not at dac stage) since it’s a 2 channel chip. Not that it matters as long as it sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back