Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 16, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #18,106 of 18,249
Thanks, I want to double check for this specific cable because i have few other cables with recessed pins and their plastic insert part is smaller than Imr socket - so, earphone basically fixed to the cable with only metal pins. It is not reliable..
Yes, one has to be careful. With this Xinhs cable, it's the opposite. I found the plastic around the pins just a little to big, which is why, as mentioned, I carefully "shaved" off just a bit.

May 16, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #18,107 of 18,249
Try TRI CLARION eartips. They are not expensive and very good with Enigma

No more Enigma on sale. Those who did not buy one have missed an amazing IEM, the best from IMR and my personal endgame
Just had an Amazon delivery of some Tri Clarion tips and have to agree that they are a good match for the Enigma. I got a pack with small, medium and large to check sizing. I usually user medium sized tips, but the small size seems a better fit for me with the Clarions.

Question is now.... do I also order the Xinhs K01 cable?! Trying to resist, but I know it's pointless to resist!! LOL

May 16, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #18,109 of 18,249
Just had an Amazon delivery of some Tri Clarion tips and have to agree that they are a good match for the Enigma. I got a pack with small, medium and large to check sizing. I usually user medium sized tips, but the small size seems a better fit for me with the Clarions.

Question is now.... do I also order the Xinhs K01 cable?! Trying to resist, but I know it's pointless to resist!! LOL
Glad that you like the eartips

As a cable, I recommend Penon Asos. It is a great match with Enigma but it is a little on the thick side. It improves the soundstage, clarity and mid bass

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #18,110 of 18,249
Glad that you like the eartips

As a cable, I recommend Penon Asos. It is a great match with Enigma but it is a little on the thick side. It improves the soundstage, clarity and mid bass
Unfortunately, that cable is a bit more than I'd consider paying for a cable. It looks a really good one though, especially with the changeable jacks.

May 16, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #18,111 of 18,249
Unfortunately, that cable is a bit more than I'd consider paying for a cable. It looks a really good one though, especially with the changeable jacks.
If what you are looking for is an inexpensive cable, I would recommend ivipQ-512 that you can order from Ali. I paid 20GBP for it during sales period. It's a single core cable very soft and flexible and very good for the price
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.21.40c71802ROl7YS

May 16, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #18,112 of 18,249
Oh boy..oh boy
1000001598.jpg

May 16, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #18,114 of 18,249
They are fantastic on GoPod. Actually better than most of my other sources. Which tell me 2 things: That Ifi Go Pod is one hell of an audio device and that my other sources are mediocre. Hehe
Have you received a new GO Pod or have they repaired your old one?

May 19, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #18,116 of 18,249
After two weeks with Enigma, my very simplistic take is:
  • Elan and Dark Matter: DVD quality
  • Elan+: Blu-ray quality
  • Enigma: 4k UHD
So in other words, going from Elan+ to Enigma, Enigma makes things sharper, more refined and defined.

A/B testing is notoriously hard. I have a trick that may have no real practical impact or basis in reality. I use one test IEM in one ear, and a different test IEM in the other. The sound will tend to "lean" to the better side. When doing this with Elan+ and Enigma, there isn't actually much leaning. The Enigma side does seem a bit fuller though. I think.

For those who have had Enigma for awhile, has burn in or long-term use opened up or altered the sound at all? I haven't done any passive burn in so far ... just using them for most of my listening.

May 19, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #18,117 of 18,249
So in other words, going from Elan+ to Enigma, Enigma makes things sharper, more refined and defined.

A/B testing is notoriously hard. I have a trick that may have no real practical impact or basis in reality. I use one test IEM in one ear, and a different test IEM in the other. The sound will tend to "lean" to the better side. When doing this with Elan+ and Enigma, there isn't actually much leaning. The Enigma side does seem a bit fuller though. I think.

For those who have had Enigma for awhile, has burn in or long-term use opened up or altered the sound at all? I haven't done any passive burn in so far ... just using them for most of my listening.
You can see how different impressions can be, I actually found the Dark Matter better than the Elan+. The Elan+ is the IMR I listen to the least because it just doesn't manage to excite me. The Enigma develops a certain magic in the mids and highs in my ears, which in combination with the bass reaches a completely different level.

May 19, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #18,118 of 18,249
You can see how different impressions can be, I actually found the Dark Matter better than the Elan+. The Elan+ is the IMR I listen to the least because it just doesn't manage to excite me. The Enigma develops a certain magic in the mids and highs in my ears, which in combination with the bass reaches a completely different level.
Yes, very interesting. I haven't missed my DM since selling them and getting the Elan+.

May 19, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #18,119 of 18,249

As our left and right ear hear differently and the combined sounds are translated/ deciphered by our brain "Scientists have discovered that the left and right ears process sound differently. The right ear responds more to speech and logic while the left ear is more tuned in to music, emotion and intuition.The way our ears hear differently from one another has to do with the way they comprehend sound. This is due to the fact that hearing is not solely consigned to our ears. Rather, it is a process that begins with the ears and ends in the brain. The sounds captured by the right ear will primarily be transmitted to the left side of the brain for interpretation and vice versa.

Researchers have conducted studies to better understand the differences in auditory processing for each ear. UCLA and University of Arizona paired up to execute a six-year study on sound processing in newborns. They determined that the left side of the brain provides more amplification for sustained sounds like music, while the right ear amplifies speech-related sounds. Significantly, this research supports the hypothesis that our ears are mechanically structured to distinguish between different types of sounds and transmit to the brain accordingly.

This research has a significant impact on the hearing-impaired community. Their findings show that an uneven hearing loss can decrease the capacity for speech and language development. Individuals experiencing asymmetrical hearing loss may also have inferior music and speech comprehension. Because of the differences in sound processing, both ears need to be treated in order to achieve a balanced sound experience" it's a slightly flawed experiment 😉

May 19, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #18,120 of 18,249
They determined that the left side of the brain provides more amplification for sustained sounds like music, while the right ear amplifies speech-related sounds.

So maybe I'm right brained and left eared. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back