Introducing Shanling M5 Ultra - High-End MTouch Portable Player at $589
May 7, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #121 of 154
I bought both the Cayin N3U and Shanling M5U.

I thought with the tubes the N3U would have been the warmer unit. NOPE the Cayin plays neutral and extremely resolving.

The M5U is lovely in design and sound loving both players so different.

Hey I see you got the ME600 could you shade some light how it sounds? I am very curious about that iem and how it stands to the mighty ie600. ME600 has very interesting specs and a special approach to hardware setup, it reminds me my favourite 64 audio with tubless design and tia drivers 🙃😛 and those bio diaphragms is something very tasteful by my experience, any headphones that had bio cellulose drivers sounded very amazing.

Wonder how deep can it reach into sub bass🧐 and hows the overall tuning. Could it out beet the ie 600?

May 8, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #122 of 154
Sounds like the M5U would be a good fit for rock and metal. I'm just a little concerned the overall presentation is going to be a little too close to that of the M6U and M6 Pro original. Or it's going to sit right between those and the M8. I kinda want a different flavor - a little more neutrality with a touch (not overly so) of top end extension, air, and sparkle.

May 8, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #123 of 154
What is high gain on this thing? Can't find that spec.

May 8, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #124 of 154
What is high gain on this thing? Can't find that spec.

IMG_8140.jpeg

https://store.shanling.com/M5-Ultra-pd500174078.html

May 8, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #125 of 154
Sounds like the M5U would be a good fit for rock and metal. I'm just a little concerned the overall presentation is going to be a little too close to that of the M6U and M6 Pro original. Or it's going to sit right between those and the M8. I kinda want a different flavor - a little more neutrality with a touch (not overly so) of top end extension, air, and sparkle.
Interested in this device and also identify with what qualities you’re looking for in the next dap. I have M6U too. Remember what the output is for M6U balanced on medium gain? I think it’s greater than M5U. The 280mW balanced medium gain on M5U doesn’t seem like enough. Whereas hi gain is overkill. For iems that is

May 9, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #126 of 154
Interested in this device and also identify with what qualities you’re looking for in the next dap. I have M6U too. Remember what the output is for M6U balanced on medium gain? I think it’s greater than M5U. The 280mW balanced medium gain on M5U doesn’t seem like enough. Whereas hi gain is overkill. For iems that is
I don't recall. I keep mine in high gain. I don't own any IEMs, just full size headphones.

May 9, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #127 of 154
Am I correct in assuming that you neither own the M5U nor have you ever heard of it? There seems to be something wrong with the performance you wrote, i.e. with the performance information. When I am in low gain with the M5U and have the IE600 connected via 4.4, I already have a very loud listening volume at 60. When I compare the Sony WM1 AM2 I am in high gain where it is supposed to produce 250mW. In order to get the volume I get with the M5U in low gain, I have to turn the Sony up to 90 in high gain. I think there was a mistake with the low, mid and high gain performance information on Shanling's website.

May 9, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #129 of 154
According to the information, the M5U should have 280mW in mid gain. With volume 40 it is as loud as the Sony in high gain 250mW at volume 95!!! :smile: :smile: There's something wrong there :thinking::thinking::thinking:

:beerchug:
This DAP to me feels under rated Its got some juice. I keep looking that I didn't bump the gain up from Low because it drives my IEM'S like nobody's business.

I haven't went past 60 yet. Be interesting to see how it does on something like the FF Scarlett Mini!

May 9, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #130 of 154
According to the information, the M5U should have 280mW in mid gain. With volume 40 it is as loud as the Sony in high gain 250mW at volume 95!!! :smile: :smile: There's something wrong there :thinking::thinking::thinking:

:beerchug:

I also find when in medium gain everything sounds more right and in line compared to low gain. Low gain seems to miss some bass poweress and some vocals to my ears seems less full or a bit quieter. In medium its just right in everything segments.
My volume is between 30 and 40 medium gain.

I think low gain is for very sensitive iems and for those who dont need power and to sensitive iems thats the only way.
Whats great about m5u is that its very powerful and yet can do both iems and headphones!

My burn in is about to be completed today and that be 200h cant wait to report my results 🤩🫠🤠

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #131 of 154
I also find when in medium gain everything sounds more right and in line compared to low gain. Low gain seems to miss some bass poweress and some vocals to my ears seems less full or a bit quieter. In medium its just right in everything segments.
My volume is between 30 and 40 medium gain.

I think low gain is for very sensitive iems and for those who dont need power and to sensitive iems thats the only way.
Whats great about m5u is that its very powerful and yet can do both iems and headphones!

My burn in is about to be completed today and that be 200h cant wait to report my results 🤩🫠🤠
You had me at missing some bass - switching to Med Gain no way I am missing out on some of that boom boom goodness!

May 9, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #132 of 154
I also hear mid gain at 35-45. I also like certain titles to be loud!! I have to say I'm right, this little beast has enough power. And high gain is only needed for large headphones that are difficult to drive. I think in high gain the little dwarf will also be ready with the Senn HD 800 series

May 9, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #133 of 154
I also hear mid gain at 35-45. I also like certain titles to be loud!! I have to say I'm right, this little beast has enough power. And high gain is only needed for large headphones that are difficult to drive. I think in high gain the little dwarf will also be ready with the Senn HD 800 series

The new hd620s paired with m5u gota be something outa this world too, I feel safe with m5u it can take anything and sounds so delightfully.

@ToneDeafMonk
Oh yeaa I can tell you in medium gain its very sweet.

May 9, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #134 of 154
The new hd620s paired with m5u gota be something outa this world too, I feel safe with m5u it can take anything and sounds so delightfully.

@ToneDeafMonk
Oh yeaa I can tell you in medium gain its very sweet.
Ok Thats Interesting observation, I switched to Medium gain and indeed the Shanling ME600 I am listening too did pek up noticeably!.

On Low gain the playback sounds softer warmer and less dynamic. That's a sound difference I have never encountered before on any other DAP.

I wonder if has to do with the 6.6 ohm impedance the player outputs on Balances mode?

The ME600 has a lower Impedance of 16 ohms

I also just tried with the NiceHCK Himalaya 22 ohms

And the Elysian Acoustical Labs Pilgrim
9ohms all with the same result this is a vert interesting find there must be a reason why such a big change can't be headroom with the extra power although that would play a small part for sure.

Thoughts ? 💡

May 9, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #135 of 154
Also found a nasty bug not sure if this has been addressed after the last update.
@Shanling

On main screen you hit the ❤️ and the unit plays a nasty POP and the player reboots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back