Unveiled: Meet the HD 620S
May 8, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #46 of 300
@Jermo K / @ericpalonen - can you reveal any reasoning or thought behind making the HD620S impedance 150Ω as opposed to 300Ω?
The only not-very-popular 600 series was the original HD660S which happened to be 150Ω... I am not saying that was its downfall, but HD660S2 changed (among other things) the impedance to 300Ω and is so much better!
For the record, HD600 was my very first audiophile headphones, and I still own and love it. HD660S2 is great, and is in my collection too... :wink:

May 8, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #47 of 300
We had zero meetings on the cable entry :smile:
Since closed headphones are more likely to be used in a mobile setting, I believe one-sided entry is much more convenient. On the signal side, the receptor has balanced wiring, so you can attach balanced cables as well. In theory the HD 630VB also had a different cable entry, but that was probably the worst solution of all, and I believe the HD 620S will make a lot more people happy as well.
Nice. The balanced option is good. Please take this the correct way (humor) — calling me a conspiracy theorist on cable entry is awesome. I love it. So officially Sen doesn’t consider cable entry as a debatable thing so that leads to the designer has full decision making-nice.

May 8, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #48 of 300
@Jermo K / @ericpalonen
The only not-very-popular 600 series was the original HD660S which happened to be 150Ω...
It’s not an answer to your question, but Jermo and a few others have mentioned before that the 660S was actually the most popular in the series, outselling the 600 and 650 for many years. What happens out there in the marketplace with everyday customers does not always reflect sentiment on online hobbyist discussion boards…

May 8, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #49 of 300
It’s not an answer to your question, but Jermo and a few others have mentioned before that the 660S was actually the most popular in the series, outselling the 600 and 650 for many years. What happens out there in the marketplace with everyday customers does not always reflect sentiment on online hobbyist discussion boards…
For me personally Sennheiser is the best manufacturer. Always will be. My favorite is the 660s2 because I like low and with a good class a we get good low. To me it seems as-if they are blending normal headphone users in with hobbyist and when you see their marketing pictures for the new one -like the guy chilling on the coach- that is not being mobile.

I already know these are going to sound great-because again it is Sennheiser. Down the road hopefully they make a closed back headphone that accepts their normal connections we all have learned to love and hate :)-yet bought many cables already.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #50 of 300
I’m just glad the headphone is wired for balanced. Single entry connectors that use TRRS 2.5 or 3.5mm jacks are not overly niche. I do wonder about the move to 150 ohm. It’s not like it’s that much more efficient than the 300 ohm cans and is there a benefit? I’m sure there is sometimes depending on implementation but that means putting a production model through a variety of use-cases.

May 8, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #51 of 300
Yep, I really like my 660s and it was a steal direct from Sennheiser at $249. I don’t get the bashing. I have 3 STAX, both Denon/Audio Technica woodies, Sony hires, many Sennheiser’s and so many others. The 660s is one of the best bargains I’ve had in hifi. 👍
I think it’s hard to correlate SQ to impedance, as much more goes into it.
The good thing is I can drive the 660s and get great SQ from my 4 different Sony portable DAPS…

May 8, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #52 of 300
I really like my 660s and it was a steal direct from Sennheiser at $249
Awesome deal for sure.

I think it’s hard to correlate SQ to impedance, as much more goes into it.
100% agree. I only brought it up because in the audiophile community, for whatever reasons (I honestly do not remember) - the 660S, which happens to be the only 150Ω model, was not loved. Not saying there is a 1:1 correlation, but it sure is a potential root cause there (especially since S2 "fixed" the impedance to 300Ω)...

Either way, I would love to hear from the fine Sennheiser representatives here what were THEIR reasons for choosing 150Ω drivers for the new HD620S?

May 8, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #53 of 300
One should ask themselves: is that because the 660S is better, or is it because they took 600/650 off of store shelves and put 660S there, making it harder for ordinary consumers to buy HD 600 and 650?

Or is it because they’re not counting HD 6XX sales?

They can claim what they’d like but the fact remains that HD 600 and 650 haven’t been replaced after more than 20 years in production, but they replaced HD 660S within just over 5 years (after massive price reductions that still didn’t make 660S an appealing purchase to audiophiles who want solid midrange performance.)

We should get back on topic re: HD 620S though.

My question for Sennheiser is: why wasn’t more of an effort made to minimize the magnitude of the cancellation in the 200 Hz region? The claims of “HD 600-like” midrange are gonna prove rather false to those with trained ears because of the lack of the 6-series trademark low-midrange bloom.

For better or worse, I expect more from Sennheiser than other brands because of their pedigree, but they continually disappoint in modern times. After years and years of development of closed back headphones, this is something they should be able to do, especially considering the AKG K361 and K371 were able to achieve a less dipped lower midrange at a much lower price.

May 8, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #55 of 300
Hello Head-Fi!

Our HD 600 audiophile headphone series is growing again today, as we proudly introduce the HD 620S: a purist headphone created for head-bobbing listening sessions when seclusion from the outside world is a must. It carries forward some of the most desired sonic characteristics of the family: superb texture reproduction, intimate vocals, and distortion-free sound at practically any listening level…with a modern twist that sounds unexpectedly…open! Are you looking to add an engaging, high-performance set of sealed cans to your collection? Let’s take a closer look.

Just you and your music
The heart of the HD 620S is all 600 series; a custom-tuned 42mm dynamic transducer with a 38mm diaphragm and 150-ohm impedance, made at our state-of-the-art Tullamore factory. Its DNA has been evolved to defy the boxy assumptions of the closed back format. Its high damping factor and speedy aluminum voice coil reproduce transients and elongated instrument tails effortlessly, letting the listener soak up the details of musical passages as they enter and exit the recording. The modernized tuning is a distinct and unique flavor to the family, "unveiling" nuance and clarity while nestled inside an isolating earcup that further deepens the black backdrop audiophiles crave. This acoustic chamber is where the fun begins…

Take a panoramic
The HD 620S harnesses an iconic Sennheiser chassis (HD 560S, HD 598, HD 555 to name just a few), lauded for its instant “sweet spot”, and long-term wearing comfort...but most importantly is its transducer geometry; the angled baffle recreates the triangular imaging of a loudspeaker setup for exciting panoramic imaging that pulls the listener right into the front-row. The imaging, which is uncharacteristically wide for a closed headphone, utilizes a remarkably open baffle and steel plate that is both an effective isolator from the outside world, and facilitator of internal reflections crucial to the open sensation.

While open headphones are an audio purist staple, closed headphones are invaluable for critical listening when isolation from the world around the listener is essential. Audiophiles like us have long been accustomed to sacrificing wide imaging and engaging dynamics in order to mitigate distractions. No more – the HD 620S lets you unpack your favorite music without disturbing your roommates, partners and even coworkers – who can remain oblivious to your hi-fi passion. A combination of selectively absorbent and reflective build materials manage soundwaves with a minimum of damping behind the surround. That aforementioned surround was adopted from the HD 660S2 and is highly compliant for deep bass with punch and clarity. Even the synthetic leather earpads play a role in disguising the closed listening experience – the perforations and material densities were spec’d to absorb unnecessary reflections in the front volume, effectively remanding the “honk” tone inherent in many closed designs.

Built to last
The HD 620S was made for the long haul with a new metal-reinforced headband and earcup housings. The band and earpads provide a snug-but-luxurious fit, tensioned to block out the outside world for extended listening sessions. The twist-lock single-sided cable terminates to a single-ended 3.5mm / ⅛-inch plug, with 1.8 meters (~6 feet) of length between terminations. A 6.3mm / ¼-inch adapter is included for connection to a huge variety of amplifiers, soundcards, interfaces, and mobile devices. Available later this summer, an optional, balanced 4.4mm cable will let you tap into the growing range of hi-fi devices now supporting the connector such as amplifiers, DAPs, and DAC-amps. This cable platform adds to the versatility of the HD 620S, letting you connect existing 1st and 3rd party cables at varying lengths and options such as those with in-line microphones.

The HD 620S begins shipping on June 6th 2024—it is available to pre-order from select retailers and at sennheiser-hearing.com. We will host a product tour (to be announced shortly), a Q&A with the HD 620S product manager, and have some additional HD 620S content coming to Head-Fi leading up to the availability date.

@ericpalonen will be here to help answer any questions, with an HD 620S at the ready.

Specifications

• Coupling - Over-ear (circumaural), synthetic leather pads
  • Acoustic principle - Closed-back (sealed)
  • Transducer - Dynamic, 42mm (38mm diaphragm)
  • Frequency response - 6 - 30,000 Hz
  • Impedance - 150 ohms
  • SPL - 110 dB (1 kHz / 1 Vrms)
  • Total Harmonic Distortion - <0.05% @ 1 kHz, 90 dB
  • Headband: metal reinforced, adjustable slider
  • Weight - 326g (without cable)
  • Cable - 1.8m (~6ft) with 3.5mm (⅛-inch) stereo plug; includes 3.5mm to 6.3mm (¼-inch) adapter; single-sided entry
Single-sided entry..
Does it mean only support single ended only? No Balance output/balanced?

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #56 of 300
Sennheiser couldn't care less about Immanis....
True, nowadays they only care for the consumer sector and are no Player in the audiophile sector at all

However once they start caring for audiophiles again, they can't ignore the competition

May 8, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #57 of 300
@Jermo K / @ericpalonen - can you reveal any reasoning or thought behind making the HD620S impedance 150Ω as opposed to 300Ω?
The only not-very-popular 600 series was the original HD660S which happened to be 150Ω... I am not saying that was its downfall, but HD660S2 changed (among other things) the impedance to 300Ω and is so much better!
For the record, HD600 was my very first audiophile headphones, and I still own and love it. HD660S2 is great, and is in my collection too... :wink:
Indeed I'll let @Jermo K comment on that as he is much closer to the transducer philosophy. Historically, many of our aluminum voice coil drivers have lower impedances (than 300 ohms) and I presume that to get to the 300 ohm load, you'd need much more aluminum, and that would negate the benefits of aluminum's lower inherent weight. I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Indeed. There is not much correlation between quantifiable thread activity and the sales. But both matter to us and the discussions (+ the members) here are amazing.

They can claim what they’d like but the fact remains that HD 600 and 650 haven’t been replaced after more than 20 years in production, but they replaced HD 660S within just over 5 years (after massive price reductions that still didn’t make 660S an appealing purchase to audiophiles who want solid midrange performance.)

My question for Sennheiser is: why wasn’t more of an effort made to minimize the magnitude of the cancellation in the 200 Hz region? The claims of “HD 600-like” midrange are gonna prove rather false to those with trained ears because of the lack of the 6-series trademark low-midrange bloom.

For better or worse, I expect more from Sennheiser than other brands because of their pedigree, but they continually disappoint in modern times. After years and years of development of closed back headphones, this is something they should be able to do, especially considering the AKG K361 and K371 were able to achieve a less dipped lower midrange at a much lower price.
Part 1: there are all sorts of reasons why products are replaced, sequel'd, discontinued, brought back, refreshed, etc. Sometimes they have to do with sound, other times its business or marketplace decisions. Don't get us started on components and suppliers haha. Not just us, but every other brand that produces at scale has to deal with these things and make the best business decision at the time.

Part 2: you're hearing the graph with your eyes instead of hearing the headphone with your ears. We just hope you get to try it with your own ears so you can decide if its for you. We think this one is special, and over the coming weeks and months the community will help us color that picture. Are you coming to any CanJams? Would love to give you a demo of it.

The driver looks physically different than a typical 600 series, what do you all think?
Unfortunately the image isn’t uploading..
You can find it on this page.

https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/en-US/p/hd-620s/
It's both new and a 600 series driver.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 8, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #58 of 300
True, nowadays they only care for the consumer sector and are no Player in the audiophile sector at all

However once they start caring for audiophiles again, they can't ignore the competition
Yes, but my point is that I'm not sure if Immanis is competition anyway.

It's boutique small company... sennheiser takes another part of the market and that's actually good. We don't have to spend 6k for headphones

May 8, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #59 of 300
Althought i’m happy to see different offering at sub $500. I don’t think HD 600 can be beaten. We need replacement for 800 S series.

May 8, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #60 of 300
Single-sided entry..
Does it mean only support single ended only? No Balance output/balanced?
It's wired for balanced and we'll have a factory balanced option this summer.
Yikes!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back