☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
May 29, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #5,897 of 5,932
What I meant was: would double the price offer double the performance?

Are you kidding 
biggrin.gif

That is not even a remote possibility in this hobby. I'd generally expect around 10% improvement from a doubling in price and consider myself well rewarded if I got 20%.

Always good to try things out like this head-to-head with your own gear to see what works for you. And given that the LC seems to be keeping its value well it's a pretty low-risk option IMO. 

The best advice IMO.

May 30, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #5,898 of 5,932
Thanks guys!

In the end that's what I'm gonna do (was planning to do since the beggining), get the LC and then compare which I like the most
biggrin.gif

At least if I decide to keep one of them I can sell the other and be done.
And the best part is that I don't even need to reterminate my RSA cable as the LC has both balanced outputs (RSA & XLR).
Both are great amps though
tongue.gif

May 31, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #5,899 of 5,932
Since I am using the LC + EGD combo to drive my Ethers I can only concur what is in the article. Awesome balanced DAC for the price. In my opinion even more awesome when used with the LC and the Ethers. Last but not least; looks great together since the EGD and the LC are roughly the same same size. Really nice transportable combo.

http://www.headfonia.com/review-stoner-acoustics-egd-ega-value/

Scanspeakman

Jun 14, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #5,900 of 5,932
Jun 27, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #5,903 of 5,932
The balanced connections are same right? I just finished a RSA/ALO balanced cable. Reterminating it to XLR would be pointless if both outputs are the same..

Correct, don't waste your time, unless there's another amp besides the Liquid Carbon you plan on using...

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #5,904 of 5,932

Correct, don't waste your time, unless there's another amp besides the Liquid Carbon you plan on using...

I'm currently using a RSA SR-71B so plan on using both and having only one balanced cable. Not worth fiddling with converters too (I could build a Balanced to SE one easily if I get in the mood though
biggrin.gif
)

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #5,905 of 5,932

I'm currently using a RSA SR-71B so plan on using both and having only one balanced cable. Not worth fiddling with converters too (I could build a Balanced to SE one easily if I get in the mood though
biggrin.gif
)

If you build the RSA balanced, I would recommend trying to build it without the normal angled bracket.  On the LC, the angled / cable goes right across the volume and it is a tight fit.  For the SR-71B, the volume is to the left but on the LC it is on the right.

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #5,906 of 5,932
If you build the RSA balanced, I would recommend trying to build it without the normal angled bracket.  On the LC, the angled / cable goes right across the volume and it is a tight fit.  For the SR-71B, the volume is to the left but on the LC it is on the right.

Thanks S,

Off to build a modular cable then :wink:
I'm thinking of something like this:

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_91&product_id=100

Kobiconn female to XLR 4-pin male.

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #5,907 of 5,932
Thanks S,

Off to build a modular cable then
wink.gif

I'm thinking of something like this:

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_91&product_id=100

Kobiconn female to XLR 4-pin male.

Depending on the size of your cable, it may not make that much of a difference, though I use the kobiconn for iems exclusively.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #5,908 of 5,932

This is my actual cable. It's a bit stiffer than yours near the kobiconn cause I used 2 different size heatshrinks. Once I get the Carbon I'll figure something out.
What do you guys use as a carrying pouch/sack when putting the amp in your backpack/bag?

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #5,909 of 5,932
Nice looking cable but the 1/8" mini TRRS is a much better jack that Kobiconn IMO.  I was a bit disappointed that the Carbon didn't adopt that standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back