500.00 and below
Mar 2, 2013 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

subguy812

Reviewer: Audio Rabbit Hole
I am looking for an iem in the 500.00 and under range. I own rockit r50's as my primary listening iem's. Musical tastes are rock, classic rock, jazz and blues. Suggestions please.

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 27
Might I suggest the Shure SE535? I think you can just get them for around $500.
Or if you want a custom, you might want to check out the JH5.
I've demoed both of these and I find that they aren't too bad. Personally for rock and blues those are what I would use at that price range.

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 27
don't get the 535 , waste of money

many better iems out there for much less money

check joker's thread

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:
You can check out the Westone 4, UE900 or Heir audio 4ai. All 3 all very well received.

The Heir 4ai  is one of the frontrunners...good for rock music?

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 27
The Heir 4ai  is one of the frontrunners...good for rock music?

I've not heard the Heir Audio 4ai before so I can't make any comments here. But from what I read it sounds pretty similar to Westone 4. If your type of music is more towards rock I would recommend the Westone UM3X. The UM3X have enough bass punch and body for rock. Instrument separation is amazing if not the best in it's class. Everything is just so well layered and with incredible depth. Mids are lush and full bodied. Vocals are slightly forward and energized. However, treble extension may not be so well received if you're a treble head. Soundstage is pretty small as well which puts you right in the first row of the concert hall. Other than that it does rock music really well.

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Yes. But W4 are still very good for you.
Also take a look on Vsonic GR07, Sony EX600/7550/800/1000/ 

Thanks a lot...I found a local distributor where I can go pick up the Westone UM3X for 320.00 out the door.. unfortunately I have to pay tax since it is local but that is included in the 320.

Obviously everyone is aware of VSonic and they would save me money. Also I found the Sony EX1000 refurbed with a 2 year Sony warranty for 325.00.  Price, SQ between the VSonic, UM3X or the EX 1000 what is everyone's preference?

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 27
Thanks a lot...I found a local distributor where I can go pick up the Westone UM3X for 320.00 out the door.. unfortunately I have to pay tax since it is local but that is included in the 320.

Obviously everyone is aware of VSonic and they would save me money. Also I found the Sony EX1000 refurbed with a 2 year Sony warranty for 325.00.  Price, SQ between the VSonic, UM3X or the EX 1000 what is everyone's preference?

The Vsonic GR07 really is a bang for the bucks. I've had the GR07 before and all I can comment is that the GR07 does everything very well and responds more to a flat response. In my opinion, it does nothing spectacular. At its price range, it does sound slightly better than the R50 and build quality is pretty good with lots of accessories included. But I experienced a slight problem with the fit and noise isolation is just average or slightly below average. Bass wise, the UM3X win hands down. In my opinion, the UM3X is a better choice compared to GR07 for your genre of music. The EX1000 is pretty huge though. Might be tough to fit in nicely and noise isolation may be an issue too. Sound wise I can't comment as I haven't heard them. I would suggest you audition both UM3X and W4 before making a decision.

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #13 of 27
The UM3X is very nice for the genres that you have listed, especially for rock and jazz. The Westone 4 is also good but in my opinion not as great as the UM3X for rock. Depending on your sound signature preference the SM3 or the new SM64 may also be to your taste but these will be towards the upper range of your budget. Get the UM3X but make sure you get the 2 yr warranty so if anything bad happens to them you're covered.

Also the TDK BA200 is a great budget option and arguably does well against the UM3X technically although the sound is not nearly as full bodied in comparison.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #14 of 27
EarSonics SM64.

Story over.

Not heard as much as the Westone but better in every way.  Expensive though...

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #15 of 27
^^  Yeah, I can vouch for the SM64 as well.  Street price is like $500USD right now though, at the top end of your budget.  I prefer the SM64 over the Westone 4R..just slightly; it's not a "slam dunk" preference in my case.  I agree w/ those that say you can do better than the SE535 at this price point.  Shure makes good products, but coast by on name recognition in many cases as well, IMO.  I need to listen to the Heir's, but I am intrigued by them as well.  Lots of good recommendations in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back