500.00 and below
Mar 4, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #17 of 27
I feel I have narrowed it down between the UM3X & Vsonic GR07. I think for the genre of music I mostly listen to it appears these are good options. I have a couple of other questions. With either of these 2 am I upgrading over the r50`s that I already own? Take into account all facets...build quality,sq etc. Next,in the bang for the buck category, which iem? I am a little concerned about what most say is flat response of UM3X but was curious how it responds to eq?

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:
I feel I have narrowed it down between the UM3X & Vsonic GR07. I think for the genre of music I mostly listen to it appears these are good options. I have a couple of other questions. With either of these 2 am I upgrading over the r50`s that I already own? Take into account all facets...build quality,sq etc. Next,in the bang for the buck category, which iem? I am a little concerned about what most say is flat response of UM3X but was curious how it responds to eq?

I have not heard either of those, but with that being said, I am a proud owner of the the W4R. Rock/Classic Rock is not my all time favorite genre's, but listening to songs like "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith, "November Rain" by GNR, Metallica's S&M Album, "Hotel California" by the Eagles etc....makes for a whole new experience and I actually catch myself listening to Rock/Classic Rock a lot more; even more so then other genre's I use to prefer. Just my opinion.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
EarSonics SM64.

Story over.

Not heard as much as the Westone but better in every way.  Expensive though...

Well with such a blunt statement like, I should point out that with the UM3X on sale in many places for $350 or less during specials and with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon aftermarket cable the soundstage and response out of the UM3X (in my experience anyways) is better than the SM64, has as a lower impedance to worry about driving (56 Ohm vs 98 Ohm of the SM64) whilst maintaining excellent sensitivity, has better warranty support (2 yrs), better build quality, and is non-fatiguing without being analytical and unmusical.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

The "flat" response out of the UM3X that a lot of people seem to bring up is not necessarily a bad thing in itself. I think most of us who got into audio in the first place quickly realized that the "v-shape" sound signature is what most consumer audio products have, that is to say boosted response on the low and high end of the frequency spectrum. I've found that the neutral response of the UM3X is actually very appealing for music that you might have with high bitrates or lossless, and that in general there is plenty of separation, detail, and soundstage for the genres you're listening to. The UM3X does response well to amping, and though you may find this works well enough for you, I think you'll find that the better long term solution would be to mix and match eq, different tips, and a high quality aftermarket cable. The GR07 is another excellent choice and has a bit more laid back of a sound signature comparatively, but I don't see anything to fault with it and is a popular choice for many. Either way, both are great for Rock/Classic Rock and certainly nothing to sneeze at for Blues or Jazz (although they are not my primary listening genres). These words spoken by a UM3X owner 
smile.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Well with such a blunt statement like, I should point out that with the UM3X on sale in many places for $350 or less during specials and with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon aftermarket cable the soundstage and response out of the UM3X (in my experience anyways) is better than the SM64, has as a lower impedance to worry about driving (56 Ohm vs 98 Ohm of the SM64) whilst maintaining excellent sensitivity, has better warranty support (2 yrs), better build quality, and is non-fatiguing without being analytical and unmusical.

I have a chance to get them out the door tax and all for 320.00, If I didn't live local I could avoid the tax, for the rc which I felt was a good deal and the place is an authorized dealer so I would get the 2 year warranty. Also the return policy if I was to wish to return them I could do so for pair of equal or greater value with no restocking fee.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:
I have a chance to get them out the door tax and all for 320.00, If I didn't live local I could avoid the tax, for the rc which I felt was a good deal and the place is an authorized dealer so I would get the 2 year warranty. Also the return policy if I was to wish to return them I could do so for pair of equal or greater value with no restocking fee.

Sounds like a decent deal, I think you should seriously consider this option as if you ever have problems you can always get help through said store/dealer in the future. When I purchased the UM3X rc version, I paid somewhere around $335 new on sale around a year ago so $320 seems like a fair sale price inclusive of taxes.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Sounds like a decent deal, I think you should seriously consider this option as if you ever have problems you can always get help through said store/dealer in the future. When I purchased the UM3X rc version, I paid somewhere around $335 new on sale around a year ago so $320 seems like a fair sale price inclusive of taxes.

I want to thank you for all of your input. I am ordering the UM3X rc as we speak. Kinda curious how they will sound in comparison to my R50's

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:
Let us know how you get on with them after many hours of listening enjoyment :)

I have been experimenting with them eq'ing not eq'ing , different tips...etc...some suggestions. I obviously have the all of the stock package..and I have some Comply P series and Shure olives here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back