AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 29, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #5,131 of 5,483
No offense intended. Just pointing out some alternatives since I figure you still are going to want a portable rig.

Re being at half volume: Volume controls gain, which is the same as voltage. Some headphones require a lot of voltage to perform well, and they benefit from an amp that can deliver clean high voltage. They don’t require much in the way of current though, because they’re pretty efficient.

AFCs don’t take much voltage because they’re low impedance. They need an amp that can deliver current. Because they’re not very efficient, they need a lot of current. Your THX can deliver it so I predict you’ll love the sound. Your K3 can deliver decent voltage, just not much current which means it distorts like crazy on sonic peaks. that’s probably why you’re dissatisfied

I use a FIIO Q5, which is more powerful than the K3, but it’s still a little underpowered. It works, but there is a very obvious difference between the Q5 and the LYR3

Well to be honest I don't dislike the sound of the AFC. But yes perhaps the THX 789 will improve the sound even more. My bigger dislike is the comfort. They are decent in their comfort but I definitely feel their weight compared to the Sennheiser HD6XX. I also don't like the pads on the AFC compared to the 6XX. If at least the flat part of the AFC pads which touch my head would be of the same or similar material of the Sennheiser 6 series then it would be much better for comfort. Also seeing as these are closed back I certainly feel more closed in compared to the Sennheisers. I'm definitely not used to that but perhaps in time that will change. Also the stock cable is too long so I'd have to get another one and perhaps get a balanced cable.

Sep 29, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #5,132 of 5,483
Well to be honest I don't dislike the sound of the AFC. But yes perhaps the THX 789 will improve the sound even more. My bigger dislike is the comfort. They are decent in their comfort but I definitely feel their weight compared to the Sennheiser HD6XX. I also don't like the pads on the AFC compared to the 6XX. If at least the flat part of the AFC pads which touch my head would be of the same or similar material of the Sennheiser 6 series then it would be much better for comfort. Also seeing as these are closed back I certainly feel more closed in compared to the Sennheisers. I'm definitely not used to that but perhaps in time that will change. Also the stock cable is too long so I'd have to get another one and perhaps get a balanced cable.

hard to beat the HD6 series for lightweight. Always appreciated that about Sennheiser. I’m usually relaxing on an ekornes recliner so heavier headphones don’t bother me but can definitely see how it could be a problem. The AFC is definitely on the lighter end of planars though. The sound quality can be worth it, but not for everyone. Comfort Plays a huge part in the enjoyment

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #5,133 of 5,483
Comfort of AFC is interesting... It can be very comfortable if you find the right fit but finding it is difficult and requres a lot of tries. After finding a good fit I don't want to take it off because it is hard to refind a good seal when I rewear it. And I have long, messy hairs which makes things harder. I guess I need a haircut :L3000:

Oct 2, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #5,137 of 5,483
I have really hated this headphone, IMO it is shockingly bad. You can read my review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/mrspeakers-aeon-flow-closed.22195/reviews#review-22720

There's nothing bad about disagreeing with a general consensus, but if you're going to do it, you can't just imply that everyone else is stupid, you need to figure out why your opinion is so far off-axis and tell that story. "Everything is bad about this headphone, there's nothing redeeming to it, everyone who likes it is wrong" isn't an interesting contrarian perspective, it's just silly on its face.

Oct 2, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #5,138 of 5,483
Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #5,139 of 5,483
I have really hated this headphone, IMO it is shockingly bad. You can read my review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/mrspeakers-aeon-flow-closed.22195/reviews#review-22720

some recommendations:

state what equipment you’re using.
State what headphones you are comparing it to
State what kind of music you listen to.

Doing so gives the audience an idea where you’re coming from.

I remember the first time I heard a pair of LCD-2s. I thought they sucked. Who knew they needed a better source than my iPhone? The AFCs are even more sensitive to amp. God knows how bad the sound would be out of an OTL tube amp.

As for comfort- That’s always a matter of personal preference and head geometry. Most people find the AFC reasonably comfortable and many find it exceptionally comfortable. It would be helpful to know why it’s uncomfortable for you and which headphones you find comfortable

Without these elements, you give no context to the reader. It adds no value other than showing even award winning headphones don’t please everyone and if at all possible test drive or read a bunch of good reviews by people with similar tastes and upstream equipment before buying.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #5,140 of 5,483
I should add, one of the reasons I come to this website is I look for reviewers I respect with similar tastes in headphones and similar equipment so I know what headphones might interest me. I also participate in tours if I can since it’s a great way to be introduced to headphones you can’t find locally

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #5,141 of 5,483

Hmm...So far I agree to the most of the parts but on a lesser degree. You went too far with "sounds bad with every single music" , IMO solo instrumental tracks sound good on Aeon but songs with multiple elements sounds quite bad and congested. I agree to the comfort part.

I am waiting for my gear to arrive to then I gonna write my review. But your claim of "sounds bad even with TOTL dacs like Hugo 2) scared me a little bit.

Oct 3, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #5,142 of 5,483
There's nothing bad about disagreeing with a general consensus, but if you're going to do it, you can't just imply that everyone else is stupid, you need to figure out why your opinion is so far off-axis and tell that story. "Everything is bad about this headphone, there's nothing redeeming to it, everyone who likes it is wrong" isn't an interesting contrarian perspective, it's just silly on its face.

What? I never called anyone stupid or wrong by any means. How did you come up to this conclusion?

I never wrote like "Aeon is horrible because it is just horrible" , I explained the positive and negative points of this headphone in detail. I think my review is well written though of course you can disagree to its content.

Oct 3, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #5,143 of 5,483
I also don’t like my AFC so far as much as my T5p. Mainly for the comfort and that my ears get hotter feeling with the AFC on for extended periods. They do sound good though especially like them with Jotunheim and THX 789

Oct 3, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #5,144 of 5,483
I recently picked up a ZDT Jr. which pairs amazing with all my high impedance headphones. But wanted to try the AEON closed on it...

I was concerned the output impedance would be too high on the ZDT but honestly it sounds great! A little bloom to the bass gives the Aeon some life, I feel it is just a bit on the sterile side. It also reduces any sense of fatigue I get from some not so great recordings with these headphones.

My work set up Sonarwork reference 4 Aeon closed correction ~60% -> Bifrost 2 -> ZDT jr. -> Aeon closed

I mailed MrSpeakers about the matter and I will tell you their response when they reply.

Dude... you just have to remove the cord.... there is no way around it. You need Mr Speakers to tell you that??

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #5,145 of 5,483

Users who are viewing this thread

Back