AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 27, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #5,161 of 5,483
I’ve been eyeing the GSX family for a while, specifically the Gilmore Lite MkII. It’s a very expensive amp so it’s nice to hear that the mini is worth a listen.
Will - very much like Dan @mrspeakers the GSX mini sounds better to my taste and preference.

Oct 27, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #5,162 of 5,483
I do own the Gilmore lite mk2, and the mini is definitely a nice step up.

Oct 27, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #5,163 of 5,483
It's not surprising that they pair well with the Gilmore Lite, GS-X Mini, or GS-X Mk2. When paired with a good source, Justin's designs should sound good with anything, granted you like the sound signature of the headphones you're using.

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #5,165 of 5,483
Just received my Focal Elegia.

I don't have a source gear at the moment so connected the Elegia to my Galaxy S9's jack. It sounds MUCH better than Aeon Flow Closed + iBasso DX220 (+VIVO balanced cable) combo. The difference between the two headphones is insane even through the Elegia is being powered by a smartphone, imagine the Elegia with a DAP too...

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #5,166 of 5,483
Just received my Focal Elegia.

I don't have a source gear at the moment so connected the Elegia to my Galaxy S9's jack. It sounds MUCH better than Aeon Flow Closed + iBasso DX220 (+VIVO balanced cable) combo. The difference between the two headphones is insane even through the Elegia is being powered by a smartphone, imagine the Elegia with a DAP too...

On the other hand I found the Elegia grating to the point I couldn't comfortably listen to anything with significant treble from both my galaxy S8 and iFi Micro BL.

Nov 2, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #5,168 of 5,483
Nov 2, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #5,171 of 5,483
A new model doesn't change any of the qualities your model has. Look at the bright side: it's a well regarded headphone and won't have the possible issues with the first batches of a product might have. Reminds me of a Youtube video I saw recently of a guy recalling stories of working tech support at AST in the 90s. He said he did get quite a few angry calls from customers saying they had bought an expensive computer, and how dare AST come out with a higher performance computer afterward. If everyone had that mindset, we'd still just be using 8-bit computers with 640KB of RAM. My mindset is that I pay enough for what I want, and will continue to enjoy it until I may find a situation to get something else (which may be several years and quite a few generations of a particular technology). Photography is another example with me. I have been upgrading digital camera bodies more regularly, but during film days, I spent many many years with just one manual film SLR.

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #5,172 of 5,483
A new model doesn't change any of the qualities your model has. Look at the bright side: it's a well regarded headphone and won't have the possible issues with the first batches of a product might have. Reminds me of a Youtube video I saw recently of a guy recalling stories of working tech support at AST in the 90s. He said he did get quite a few angry calls from customers saying they had bought an expensive computer, and how dare AST come out with a higher performance computer afterward. If everyone had that mindset, we'd still just be using 8-bit computers with 640KB of RAM. My mindset is that I pay enough for what I want, and will continue to enjoy it until I may find a situation to get something else (which may be several years and quite a few generations of a particular technology). Photography is another example with me. I have been upgrading digital camera bodies more regularly, but during film days, I spent many many years with just one manual film SLR.
Yes I was joking a little too, of course Generous Dan, could offer an upgrade program for anyone who bought an afc in the last year :)
And good point about the production batch issues.
I have that issue with the ear pad is collapsing more on one side, can anyone point me to the advice on how to fix that.
I also like the look of the new version because of the deeper pads.

Nov 3, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #5,173 of 5,483
Yes I was joking a little too, of course Generous Dan, could offer an upgrade program for anyone who bought an afc in the last year :)
And good point about the production batch issues.
I have that issue with the ear pad is collapsing more on one side, can anyone point me to the advice on how to fix that.

Here is his video on manipulating the pads.

Also very interested in the increased portability of the new model. Really love the sound of the original and looking forward to more comparisons!

Nov 3, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #5,174 of 5,483
An important thing about this video and the earpads is that they can form a bulge not only on the outer upper edge but on the lower edges as well (near the base). Because of this issue, one of my earpads deformed slightly stronger than the other one (the pressure was applied unevenly due to rotation of the memory foam material inside the shell). I've squeezed it and rotated inside the pleather shell. After a few attempts, it snapped into place. Just try to squeeze it heavily and you will notice it's possible to adjust it a bit inside the shell.

Regarding my previous long feedback post here about AFC, I continuously find them awesome and impressed with any orchestral piece as well as electronic music I have heard so far. The itchy material of single-notch earpad filter inserts is still feeling uncomfortable to me but about 2 weeks ago I've swapped it with the two-notches inserts and their material doesn't have the itchy feeling! It's much softer as well. The sound signature is a bit less bright (and have a bit more bass) but overall I enjoy it as much as with single-notch material.

I'm curious if the pads from Aeon 2 will fit Aeon. It would be the best upgrade then! :) Immediate buy for me as it's exactly what I've expressed in my feedback—deeper earpads so more space for ears and filter inserts.

Regarding the latest user review on Head-Fi complaining that AFC cannot properly reproduce viola and violin sound erasing the difference between them. Well, I cannot imagine how this could be the case if the headphones of the proper quality. I enjoy listening recordings of string orchestras and concerts a lot and everything sounds natural, with each instrument sounding exactly as it should. Probably the reviewed headphones were simply defective or were damaged during delivery. Considering there are over 300 pages praising the headphones, I believe this is the only reasonable explanation. If the headphones were sent back directly to MrSpeakers then I would like to hear their official response on the matter (I hope they're testing the refunded headphones before placing them back into stock).

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #5,175 of 5,483

Here is his video on manipulating the pads.

Also very interested in the increased portability of the new model. Really love the sound of the original and looking forward to more comparisons!

thank you, it was both very easy and satisfying to fix lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back