AirPods Max
Jan 6, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #2,221 of 5,629
I guess there is another Apple Max thread (maybe mods can combine them?)

Anyways, my video review of these. I cover whether or not I think they’re worth it and also from an audiophile perspective:

mm...per Apple support, APM will go to low power mode after 5 minutes sans the case. Eventually, it will go to ultra low power mode. The reason for the time that it remains in low power mode and ultra low power mode is to give owners as much time allowance to optionally use Find My function in case you lose your APM ( left it in a coffee shop etc.).

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #2,222 of 5,629
Yea I saw that comment too. Jobs seemed to, along with those leading Apple, focus on their own goals while disregarding others. For better or for worse with their relations with developers, that's kind of how they seem to maintain focus on what they envision user experience to be.
Yes, agreed, and it payed off big time.

And nice to see a recording like this. I always advise people to watch ‘Pirates of Silicon Valley’ first, and then the keynote of Steve Jobs around 1997, where Jobs also introduces the cooperation with Microsoft (including Bill Gates on a huge screen). The combination of these two is really telling imo.
It’s a very interesting business history, with a lot of recordings, and enough drama to make it all very juicy.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #2,223 of 5,629
Switching between Apple devices has actually come in great use for conference calls. These were always part of my work life (collaborators from east coast to west coast), but even more now since COVID has happened. I could go from listening on my iPhone to connecting to my personal laptop to make the call, or my work laptop if I'm in the office. Then switch over to the iPad to watch a video afterwards. If you have Apple TV, the feature could be useful as well. With the automatic switching built in (which I admit is imperfect), you sometimes don't even need to tell the device to connect to the headphones as it just does it automatically. Or if you're on an airplane switching between your iPhone and iPad (music/video) while still remembering the laptop that you'll use for conference calls later (APP use when COVID wasn't a thing and I was on work travel).

To be honest, it's more of a convenience thing than anything else. Could I go about using another BT headphone that has 1 or 2 simultaneous connections? Sure, it'll be annoying, but I can make it work. I kind of use the analogy of unlocking your phone with facial recognition or fingerprint. Sure, you can unlock your phone with your passcode/swipecode, but it's really annoying to have to do that when the quicker facial recognition or fingerprint sensor fail. Or if you have a watch/smartwatch, checking the time when you forget your watch/smartwatch; you won't die by pulling your phone out, but it's a lot more inconvenient and annoying.

This only works well if you're in the Apple ecosystem; if you've got Android or Windows devices, this won't work at all and will probably be more of a hassle.

This has mostly been my experience. I love the convenience of switching from one device to another. It works as intended most of the time. In fact, it works “too well.” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been listening from the phone and browsing on the pad and the APM automatically switches to the pad when the pad begins playing an auto play video that I didn’t intend to watch. I can turn off the pad’s seamless switching to stop that issue, but then I lose what is mostly a convenience I enjoy.

Also, my Apple TV (non 4K) has no capability for seamless switching. Bummer!

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #2,224 of 5,629
For you the convenience is 'underestimated", for me is exaggeration (for majority of normal users). For me the normal AirPods (AP) is almost necessity, many more than APP or APM, and this is why I saying before that the AP is a genius product by Apple (and I think the sales numbers of this product is proving this. Is a reason for this).

The APP has more use than the AP for me. Music at least sounds good with the APP vs the AP which I use as a backup for conference calls. That said, the APM offers that same convenience that the AP originally gave me. The one thing I will say is that the added benefit of the APM is that I can use them while they are charging (same can't be said about the APP or AP). Note that I don't have excessive ear heat issues with the APM (they get warm, that's the best I could do to explain it, but a lot of closed backs do that in general), so for the most part the APP and APM kind of have the same use cases for me. I generally don't exercise with headphones on, but I will state that I could run comfortably using the APM if I wanted to, but not much else (no sprinting, jumping, violent movements, etc.). During winter I'd much prefer the APM on my ears over the APP.

I will repeat it though, without the connection to all of my devices, I would have returned the APM by now.

This has mostly been my experience. I love the convenience of switching from one device to another. It works as intended most of the time. In fact, it works “too well.” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been listening from the phone and browsing on the pad and the APM automatically switches to the pad when the pad begins playing an auto play video that I didn’t intend to watch. I can turn off the pad’s seamless switching to stop that issue, but then I lose what is mostly a convenience I enjoy.

Also, my Apple TV (non 4K) has no capability for seamless switching. Bummer!

I actually don't own an Apple TV, my dad does as it's one of the easier ways for him to use YouTube. It would be nice to get automatic switching and spacial audio for it though, granted I probably don't use spacial audio much.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #2,225 of 5,629
Got mine this week finally, blue.

Didn't do too many listening tests yet but at first I listened to some pop. They sounded "ok". There was some sibilance with lots of pop tracks. I sold my PX7's couple months ago because they were not comfortable. I remember listening to pop with PX7's and having more fun. But then I started listening to some orchestral stuff, and they shined much more than PX7's. Good soundstage, lots of detail, good bass (this is the limit for me, if they were more bass heavy I'd equalize them), and quite fun to listen to.

I tried out the headphone settings in iOS, even tested it with my audiogram, I prefer the default sound so far.

One thing to notice about these is that the earpads material is extremely comfortable, and they create a vacuum so when you put them on, without the ANC on, you start hearing your own heartbeat. I think PX7 had this as well, but not this much. So putting them on in a quiet room, without listening to music, is really distracting. I keep focusing on my heartbeat. But with ANC, they become totally quiet.

I'm almost 100% in my home, so cannot really test ANC other than sitting next to the washing machine.

But so far, I'm happy with my purchase. They sound better than PX7 in orchestral recordings (which is 95% of my library anyway), they are not so "fun" at pop. I'll test more stuff eventually.

Oh and, they are not too loud. I think they go up to 100 dB and that's it. It's ok but I love that my Westone ES60 can go crazy loud if necessary.

Jan 6, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #2,228 of 5,629
He seems to be making a big issue out of this and most probably he has some point in doing so. He asks Apple to recall all the headphones because he says they even may cause health issues! He accuses the use of aluminum for this whole condition. Who knows what is going to happen, we will see...

Yes, we will have to see, in his original video and review he loved them.

Jan 6, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #2,229 of 5,629
It wouldn't be a true new Apple product launch without a "xxx-gate". Sweatgate?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #2,231 of 5,629
Got mine this week finally, blue.

Didn't do too many listening tests yet but at first I listened to some pop. They sounded "ok". There was some sibilance with lots of pop tracks. I sold my PX7's couple months ago because they were not comfortable. I remember listening to pop with PX7's and having more fun. But then I started listening to some orchestral stuff, and they shined much more than PX7's. Good soundstage, lots of detail, good bass (this is the limit for me, if they were more bass heavy I'd equalize them), and quite fun to listen to.

I tried out the headphone settings in iOS, even tested it with my audiogram, I prefer the default sound so far.

One thing to notice about these is that the earpads material is extremely comfortable, and they create a vacuum so when you put them on, without the ANC on, you start hearing your own heartbeat. I think PX7 had this as well, but not this much. So putting them on in a quiet room, without listening to music, is really distracting. I keep focusing on my heartbeat. But with ANC, they become totally quiet.

I'm almost 100% in my home, so cannot really test ANC other than sitting next to the washing machine.

But so far, I'm happy with my purchase. They sound better than PX7 in orchestral recordings (which is 95% of my library anyway), they are not so "fun" at pop. I'll test more stuff eventually.

Oh and, they are not too loud. I think they go up to 100 dB and that's it. It's ok but I love that my Westone ES60 can go crazy loud if necessary.
Great to hear your thoughts on APM versus PX7. I own px7 carbons and thinking if is changing to APM the right choice. For me px7 are extremely comfortable and enjoy the sound pretty much. I listen to all genres but rock, pop and metal are the power here.
The sound on px7 for me is just lacking detail on high frequency... but I love the viscerally attack of drums and the energy of the sound. All is well controlled... do you think changing to apm is a valid option thinking just in the sound?
Btw the px7 go loud if you would measure them considering the 100db on apm what would you think about px7 loudness?

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #2,232 of 5,629
Great to hear your thoughts on APM versus PX7. I own px7 carbons and thinking if is changing to APM the right choice. For me px7 are extremely comfortable and enjoy the sound pretty much. I listen to all genres but rock, pop and metal are the power here.
The sound on px7 for me is just lacking detail on high frequency... but I love the viscerally attack of drums and the energy of the sound. All is well controlled... do you think changing to apm is a valid option thinking just in the sound?
Btw the px7 go loud if you would measure them considering the 100db on apm what would you think about px7 loudness?
message me if you're selling your PX7s, please.

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #2,233 of 5,629
IMG_5330.jpeg

Digging these headphones. Definitely need a better case though...

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #2,234 of 5,629
IMG_5330.jpeg

Digging these headphones. Definitely need a better case though...

If you search Amazon and Ebay you can find some cheap cases, those ship from China, so it'll take a while for them to get to you. Waterfield designs (US-based) also released theirs Christmas day, though ship dates got pushed back pretty quickly.

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #2,235 of 5,629
After switching from Android to iPhone, curiosity got the best of me so I sold off my Panda and picked a pair of APM from a scalper (i paid 615 so only about 35 extra after tax). My initial reaction is kind of what I expected - for Apple users these are solid if unspectacular. The integration with my iPhone is superb and they feel premium. The sound is good enough - definitely better the XM4 and Bose and other "consumer" ANC cans I've heard. Close call with the Panda. I think it comes down to preference. I do prefer that these are a little less warm than the Panda. I hear some bass bloom and bleed, not terrible but definitely not as controlled as the Panda. They are certainly more comfortable despite the weight. For pure sound quality, I don't think the APM is worth the extra money over the Panda - it's at best a draw. For iPhone users, if you have the money, these make more sense. For everyone else, there are better options. I still think they are too expensive for what they offer but I've paid more for less. I'll give them a B-largely based on price to value. If they came in at $399, I would give them an A-.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back