AKG K361/K371
Sep 13, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #1,126 of 1,294
Perhaps something has changed since then? Or perhaps replacement ear pads are available in regions other than the US?
Go back a page or so to my info on the AliExpress pads. They sell two, the "original" are a bit more expensive and better. The best pads I've ever put on the AKG 371 with both comfort and sound. Closer to the original sound than any other. Slightly softer & similar or very slightly thicker, for slightly more ears space. They are also darker color, looking better on the headphones. Biggest improvements, won't get permanently dented like stock pads if pressed too long, and don't have that strong plastic smell of the stock pads.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #1,127 of 1,294
I just got a set of the 371s, and my initial impressions are that they're a really nice, inoffensive, easy to take with you set of headphones. Not the biggest soundstage, could use more thump in the bass for me, but probably a keeper, especially for when i do need something closed back.

I will note I did almost immediately replace the pads with some shure ones, because the stock pads kept making an annoying crinkly noise, and compressed enough that the driver or housing was sitting on my ears uncomfortably.

Edit/Added

It may have been less the headphones and more the dac/amp I was using (a little dongle really meant for IEMs plugged into my phone). Hooking these up to a "proper" amp (in this case an ifi nano idsd black label) has brought in the bass thump I was looking for.

And re:the soundstage, something I did notice is that not only does it seem compressed, in some songs where on open backs something just sounds further away, it instead just sounds ... quieter (but not further away, the way open backs do).

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #1,128 of 1,294
Back in January 2022, I emailed Harmon customer support in the USA and asked if replacement ear pads were available for the AKG K371. Harmon told me replacement ear pads were NOT available. They would replace the entire headphone if necessary for a warranty claim, but do not sell parts:

"First off, I'd like to apologize for the delay of our response as we're trying to check our warehouse inventory if we have available parts (ear pads) for your AKG K371. Regrettably, the AKG K371 is shown as replacement only for support purposes; no parts."

Perhaps something has changed since then? Or perhaps replacement ear pads are available in regions other than the US?
I'm getting price quotes in Australia, and I get a search result for Japan. Mileage may vary based on region, stock (out of stock in AU right now), and perhaps even the competency of the CS agent you get.

I'd imagine some of the higher ups at AKG would be surprised to hear Level 1 support telling you that you can't get an earpad replacement after your warranty expires.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #1,129 of 1,294
I'm getting price quotes in Australia, and I get a search result for Japan. Mileage may vary based on region, stock (out of stock in AU right now), and perhaps even the competency of the CS agent you get.

I'd imagine some of the higher ups at AKG would be surprised to hear Level 1 support telling you that you can't get an earpad replacement after your warranty expires.
If you were talking about the k371 and not the pads i bought from here earlier this year
https://www.turramusic.com.au/akg-k371

and by the way this is the case that it comes with through turramusic - very basic but free

https://djcity.com.au/product/akg-premium-hard-shell-headphone-case/

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #1,130 of 1,294
If you were talking about the k371 and not the pads i bought from here earlier this year
https://www.turramusic.com.au/akg-k371

and by the way this is the case that it comes with through turramusic - very basic but free

https://djcity.com.au/product/akg-premium-hard-shell-headphone-case/
No, I'm referring to replacement pads.

Best value for the K371 in Australia is via Amazon during their major sales. These days you'd wind up paying an effective $130 or so if you stack everything up.

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #1,132 of 1,294
how is the sound isolation on this hp? i play a edrum kit that make too sound when i hit the drumstick on the pad.. so i need a good sound isolation
compared to 770 or 700 pro x how is this akg?
You seem like a good candidate for in-ear monitors instead of over-ear headphones. Something like the Etymotic ER2SE might be a great fit for you.

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #1,133 of 1,294
how is the sound isolation on this hp? i play a edrum kit that make too sound when i hit the drumstick on the pad.. so i need a good sound isolation
compared to 770 or 700 pro x how is this akg?
Let's see (proceeds to put on my K371, claps hands; then DT770...and for good measure, my HD280).

They all suck for that purpose. But the ranking would be:
#1 HD280 by a long shot, but still not sufficient.
#2 DT770 by a little.
#3 K371 on the bottom, but not significant (almost the same at DT770.)

Just for fun, I then proceeded with the N700NC M2 with ANC turned on. Still no dice, but all constant noises (i.e. Air Con) disappeared; hand claps still very obvious. So a no go there too.

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #1,137 of 1,294
Just a general question re amping the akg k371.
I bought these for my 11 year old son. Was looking for a well priced closed back headphone and these sonically were around the mark of what i thought he would enjoy and would be a decent detailed listen, for the price.

he enjoys them and listens to music straight from his ipad mini - one with a headphone jack. He listens to a range of music from harsh sounding modern stuff to well produced music from the 70’s onwards. Michael Jackson is his most played artist on tidal at the moment. So listens to a variety of stuff.

i’m wondering what a well matched desktop dac and amp combo or all in one would be. Primarily looking to use a usb input straight out of my imac. And a setup that is noticeably better (ie more “hifi”) that straight out of the ipad

I’m guessing something not too warm would suit best with these k371’s based on a bit if listening that i have done with them

Budget of up to $600 usd (for new).

(daps could be okay but i’m thinking he won’t bother as a setup desktop system would be less finicky and when he sits on the couch it’s straight back out of the ipad directly)

anything that is a stand out as a match from your own experience?

thanks in advance

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #1,138 of 1,294
Just a general question re amping the akg k371.
I bought these for my 11 year old son. Was looking for a well priced closed back headphone and these sonically were around the mark of what i thought he would enjoy and would be a decent detailed listen, for the price.

he enjoys them and listens to music straight from his ipad mini - one with a headphone jack. He listens to a range of music from harsh sounding modern stuff to well produced music from the 70’s onwards. Michael Jackson is his most played artist on tidal at the moment. So listens to a variety of stuff.

i’m wondering what a well matched desktop dac and amp combo or all in one would be. Primarily looking to use a usb input straight out of my imac. And a setup that is noticeably better (ie more “hifi”) that straight out of the ipad

I’m guessing something not too warm would suit best with these k371’s based on a bit if listening that i have done with them

Budget of up to $600 usd (for new).

(daps could be okay but i’m thinking he won’t bother as a setup desktop system would be less finicky and when he sits on the couch it’s straight back out of the ipad directly)

anything that is a stand out as a match from your own experience?

thanks in advance

With my desktop Mac I use an affordable Schiit Modi/Loki/Magni stack and Rogue Amoebae's SoundSource parametric equalizer software to good effect. I've also used my iFi iDSD Black Label in place of the Schiit stack on occasion.

Sep 24, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #1,139 of 1,294
With my desktop Mac I use an affordable Schiit Modi/Loki/Magni stack and Rogue Amoebae's SoundSource parametric equalizer software to good effect. I've also used my iFi iDSD Black Label in place of the Schiit stack on occasion.
Ah yes. I forgot about the ifi products. I can see how that would pair well.

i never owned the modi/magni duo as i initially went down the path of the o2 and odac when choosing between those two options so never heard them.

is the ifi better than the midi/magni For the k371?
os there an issue with too much power from the ifi with respect to turning the pot to say 10-2 oclock? i assume not as from memory there are various settings including iems (?) iirc

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back