AKG K361/K371
Oct 10, 2019 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,293

bcaulf17

1000+ Head-Fier
New AKG/Harman headphones that are currently getting a lot of hype in audiophile corners. Surprised I haven’t seen a dedicated thread on these yet. Don’t know if this post would be considered that; I’m just wondering if anyone here has had the chance to give these a try and what they think?

Apparently, they are blowing away the completion at their $150 price point, and these are the headphones in that bracket to own. They are a wired, transportable closed back that apparently measures along with the Harman response quite nicely. There’s also a slightly cheaper model available, the K361.

I have yet to hear them but I’m curious to hear what others have to say; are they all they’re cracked up to be? A new giant killer?

Oct 13, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 1,293
Had mine for a few days. It's a rather neutral pair of headphones with some upper mid shout kind if like the HD650. Despite the sub bass having a weird boost in some graphs I've seen it doesn't come across that boosted in listening it a totally sounds fairly cohesive and natural.

This is the first headphone AKG have made that doesnt sound thin and off in the timbre. In my opinion this is the first headphome that has managed to get closer to a closed HD650. It's not as resolving as the 650 and obviously has the closed cup colouration. I prefer it over the more resolving ZMF Atticus when it comes to FR, bass quality(Atticus sucks here and is fairly dirty) the mid range timbre is better on the 371, Atticus has a rather bumpy mid to treble. Prefer it over my 2C as well and the 2F I've got on loan.

Darn good headphone and a steal at this price. I don't mind the lack of detail compared to the Atticus for example as it makes up for it with it's timbre and FR.

Oct 13, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 1,293
^I bought a pair together with the K245 and I very much agree with your sentiments...although it was the fourth AKG(!) I’d listened to that didn’t sound thin. The first and second was the K260 and K240, cans I still adore btw, and the third was the K245. The K245 and K371 actually sound fairly similar frequency response-wise, although I’d give the former the nod regarding overall linearity. K245 also sounds like an open can (surprise!) whilst retaining bass capabilities I normally associate with very very good closedbacks..something I am a little confused by actually, but I am certainly not complaining!
At a 145€ the K371 quite simply destroys it’s competition - it’s that good..but at 99 the K245 literally boggles the mind. It’s a truly wonderful headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 1,293
Had mine for a few days. It's a rather neutral pair of headphones with some upper mid shout kind if like the HD650. Despite the sub bass having a weird boost in some graphs I've seen it doesn't come across that boosted in listening it a totally sounds fairly cohesive and natural.

This is the first headphone AKG have made that doesnt sound thin and off in the timbre. In my opinion this is the first headphome that has managed to get closer to a closed HD650. It's not as resolving as the 650 and obviously has the closed cup colouration. I prefer it over the more resolving ZMF Atticus when it comes to FR, bass quality(Atticus sucks here and is fairly dirty) the mid range timbre is better on the 371, Atticus has a rather bumpy mid to treble. Prefer it over my 2C as well and the 2F I've got on loan.

Darn good headphone and a steal at this price. I don't mind the lack of detail compared to the Atticus for example as it makes up for it with it's timbre and FR.
Really glad to hear all these good things. Looks like they really do follow the Harman response almost perfectly. I just missed out on these as I just received Beyerdynamic DT 177X Go (K371 was released while I was waiting for my 177X to arrive) and strangely that headphone is kind of HD650 sounding too, actually even a little warmer/darker, and not piercing like other Beyers. I’m really enjoying them for their weighty, 3D sound but now I’m super curious to try the K371. I think Guitar Center has these for demo so I might go try some day.

Oct 13, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #10 of 1,293

Did you get a cherry Atticus? I love my Atticus and the camphor wood on mine seems to do wonders for the bass quality. The original one I reviewed was cherry and the bass was so limp and lacking impact.

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 1,293
Did you get a cherry Atticus? I love my Atticus and the camphor wood on mine seems to do wonders for the bass quality. The original one I reviewed was cherry and the bass was so limp and lacking impact.
Funny enough yes I did. I did find it overly soft lush, soft think HD650 paired with a cheap tube amp like the dark voice type of sound. I have heard the Atticus with camp wood and that had more impact and solidity in the bass, it wasn't quite Verum 1 or LCD-4 type solidity but much better than the Cherry I had. One thing I did love about the Cherry Atticus was it's lush colouration through the mid range, it gave me Sony R10 vibes.

The more I'm listening to the 371 the more I'm really enjoying it, I think if they can bump the resolution up with this tuning they'd have an extremely competitive phone; even at it's current price I'm loving it.

Thing is as someone who has spend 1000's on gear I've found such enjoyment from budget gear. The Verum 1 for example I feel beats all Audeze phones outside of the 4 and offers an amazing tone, FR that many planars pack. And with the 371 I feel it does everything right outside of resolution.

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 1,293
Funny enough yes I did. I did find it overly soft lush, soft think HD650 paired with a cheap tube amp like the dark voice type of sound. I have heard the Atticus with camp wood and that had more impact and solidity in the bass, it wasn't quite Verum 1 or LCD-4 type solidity but much better than the Cherry I had. One thing I did love about the Cherry Atticus was it's lush colouration through the mid range, it gave me Sony R10 vibes.

The more I'm listening to the 371 the more I'm really enjoying it, I think if they can bump the resolution up with this tuning they'd have an extremely competitive phone; even at it's current price I'm loving it.

Thing is as someone who has spend 1000's on gear I've found such enjoyment from budget gear. The Verum 1 for example I feel beats all Audeze phones outside of the 4 and offers an amazing tone, FR that many planars pack. And with the 371 I feel it does everything right outside of resolution.
Ah, now you need to hear the superb LCD-1 next if you like more budget planar stuff. It shocked me and just released today.

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 1,293
Ah, now you need to hear the superb LCD-1 next if you like more budget planar stuff. It shocked me and just released today.
I saw your review on them earlier, honestly without thinking I thought what route have Audeze taken now. I've been a big fan of their original 2010-2011 LCD-2 then had mixed feeling since. I thought the classic was great in some areas but bad at others. I'm deffo adding the LCD-1 to the list. What are your thoughts on the verum? I found it to be a better headphone than the 2C for example.

Oct 22, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #14 of 1,293
Hey guys, do you know where i could purchase these headphones in Canada? preferably in my city of Montreal?

Thanks! :)

PS: i checked the AKG site, they only sell these specific model for u.s. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back