AKG K361/K371
Sep 27, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #1,156 of 1,294
Thanks. I just don’t want the bass to drown out the mids and highs which some bass heavy headphones do. I have a pair of V-Moda headphones and they have way too much bass drowning out the treble. The V-Modas have 50mm drivers. I guess it depends on the design.
I don't find it's the the kind of bass that drowns the mids. Besides, the upper-mids sticks out a lot. It's not a warm kind of bass, but a Harman bass shelving which don't push the lower mids for drowning sounds. It's not so warm sounding that masks clarity.

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #1,157 of 1,294
Not too heavy that it becomes over-bearing, but heavy and if driven well, heavy and tight. I personally like heavy and tight. I like the bass on it. Upper-mids is a little bit too hot for my liking, but that's the only issue I have with it. I'm waiting on the K381 with smoother upper-mids and same bass.

I say heavy because there is good quantity of it, and it's north of neutral. So, is my heavy same as your heavy? Find out! lol

Regarding 50mm driver. You probably mean closed backs. HD800 has 50mm, but open with bass roll-off. Campfire Audio headphone is got much bass. This is too heavy. It's not like that.
Oh shizz. I hadn't even thought that far ahead.

Imagine the k381. And the the k391 semi-open back.

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #1,158 of 1,294
Oh shizz. I hadn't even thought that far ahead.

Imagine the k381. And the the k391 semi-open back.
And then the k401 ……

just shows how advanced the k701 is

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #1,159 of 1,294
And then the k401 ……

just shows how advanced the k701 is
Aha, yes.

My planned endgame is a k712. Hopefully get there this year/early next year.

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #1,160 of 1,294
Thanks. I just don’t want the bass to drown out the mids and highs which some bass heavy headphones do. I have a pair of V-Moda headphones and they have way too much bass drowning out the treble. The V-Modas have 50mm drivers. I guess it depends on the design.
I have a number of headphones that are more bass heavy than the k371. Audio Technica ath m40x, Cal Se, and Momentum 3 wireless..
I wouldn't say the bass drowns out the mids and the highs.

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #1,162 of 1,294
.The only issue I have now is finding a really compact hard case to fit them, some soft cases will work but the few that would that I tried with those ATH-M50X BT's had incredibly strong burnt rubber smells that didn't go away with time so I returned them. The ear pads and headband padding on both of these AKG's have a lesser but still noticeable rubber smell. I'm airing them out to see what happens, but overnight, I noticed it drop 10 - 20% in how much it smells. I'll give it more time.

Did you ever have any luck finding a good compact case for when the K361/K371 are folded up? I'm getting ready to go on a month-long trip, and I'd like them in as smaller case as possible in my backpack.

Oct 11, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #1,163 of 1,294
Did you ever have any luck finding a good compact case for when the K361/K371 are folded up? I'm getting ready to go on a month-long trip, and I'd like them in as smaller case as possible in my backpack.
Would they fit in the fan Clark audio aeon 2 case?

is the headband too big to fit?
are the cups too small and hence too much movement inside case?

just an idea

https://danclarkaudio.com/aeon-2-headphone-case.html

Oct 14, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #1,164 of 1,294
Would they fit in the fan Clark audio aeon 2 case?

is the headband too big to fit?
are the cups too small and hence too much movement inside case?

just an idea

https://danclarkaudio.com/aeon-2-headphone-case.html

I found a smaller case. The Geekria UltraShell on Amazon is just the right size for them when they are folded up.
71AaHvzufvL.jpg

Nov 18, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #1,165 of 1,294
Earlier this year I bought the AKG K361 out of curiosity and I quite like it. Compared to the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b, this is a much more enjoyable headphone. 2 issues that I have with the MSR7b is that the mid-bass is too overpowering and it also lacks sub-bass.
However the AKG K361 has less of an mid-bass boost that I find more acceptable and it also has a little sub-bass.
I'm considering the AKG K371 in the future, but how does the AKG K371 compare to the AKG K361 in the bass department? If it has more mid-bass then it's a hard pass for me.

Nov 18, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #1,166 of 1,294
The bass whelms up from

deep

below

Nov 18, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #1,167 of 1,294
Earlier this year I bought the AKG K361 out of curiosity and I quite like it. Compared to the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b, this is a much more enjoyable headphone. 2 issues that I have with the MSR7b is that the mid-bass is too overpowering and it also lacks sub-bass.
However the AKG K361 has less of an mid-bass boost that I find more acceptable and it also has a little sub-bass.
I'm considering the AKG K371 in the future, but how does the AKG K371 compare to the AKG K361 in the bass department? If it has more mid-bass then it's a hard pass for me.
I've never heard the akg k361 but I own the k371. I also own other closed back headphones as well.
My audio technical m40x, creative aurvana live se, momentum 3 wireless, and bose qc 35ii all have more base than the akg k371,except for the sub bass from 50hz and below.
So less mid bass than any of those 4 headphones.
As I said though, I don't know how the k371 sounds compared to the k361.

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #1,168 of 1,294
Two issues that I have with the MSR7b is that the mid-bass is too overpowering and it also lacks sub-bass.
Consider Audio Technica ATH-SR50 (wired version). $150 or less on Amazon. You must get $20 Meze Standard (not small) pads on Amazon to put on them. Returnable, if you don't like them. Those create one of the lightest most indestructible, comfortable & roomy ear cup pairs I've heard. Air on top, subs on par with the AKG 371 but with a small increase in mid bass, a gentle high mid dip making them easy to listen to for long hours, and a bit more air on top. Very lifelike and 3D sound. My favorite closed under $500.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #1,169 of 1,294
Consider Audio Technica ATH-SR50 (wired version). $150 or less on Amazon. You must get $20 Meze Standard (not small) pads on Amazon to put on them. Returnable, if you don't like them. Those create one of the lightest most indestructible, comfortable & roomy ear cup pairs I've heard. Air on top, subs on par with the AKG 371 but with a small increase in mid bass, a gentle high mid dip making them easy to listen to for long hours, and a bit more air on top. Very lifelike and 3D sound. My favorite closed under $500.
How many headphone models does Audio Technica make? I swear it's like I learn about a new one every damn day, lol

Dec 8, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #1,170 of 1,294
I put my K371 on the other day and with some EQ they still sound pretty good. I hadn’t used them since mid summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back