Amp for SRH840's
Dec 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

JR4599638

Head-Fier
My dad surprised me with the SRH840's on Christmas without my  without my knowing. So far, after a little burning-in, I personally think they are comfortable and sound great, with very clear mids and highs, but a little lacking in the sub bass. To bring the bass to light with more emphasis, I was looking into external amps and DAC's under $100. Any suggestions? Do I need an external amp at all, and should I burn them in further? Thanks!

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 23
  My dad surprised me with the SRH840's on Christmas without my  without my knowing. So far, after a little burning-in, I personally think they are comfortable and sound great, with very clear mids and highs, but a little lacking in the sub bass. To bring the bass to light with more emphasis, I was looking into external amps and DAC's under $100. Any suggestions? Do I need an external amp at all, and should I burn them in further? Thanks!

What sources are you plugging the headphones into?

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 23
My Acer laptop and iPod 4G

The 44-Ohm Shure SRH840 really do not need to (have to?) be used with an amplifier.
But laptops usually come with very low costing audio hardware.
Technically, the iPod already comes with a basic headphone amplifier.
A FiiO E11 ($63) portable headphone amplifier, might improve the audio quality of the SRH840 and can work with the laptop and iPod (best to get an LOD cable for use with the iPod).
A FiiO E07K is both an DAC and Amp, so it can be plugged into the laptop's USB port, the E07K's DAC should be a fair bit better then the laptop's DAC chip, the E07K can only use it's amplifier (not DAC) with the iPod.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #8 of 23
The 44-Ohm Shure SRH840 really do not need to (have to?) be used with an amplifier.
But laptops usually come with very low costing audio hardware.
Technically, the iPod already comes with a basic headphone amplifier.
A FiiO E11 ($63) portable headphone amplifier, might improve the audio quality of the SRH840 and can work with the laptop and iPod (best to get an LOD cable for use with the iPod).
A FiiO E07K is both an DAC and Amp, so it can be plugged into the laptop's USB port, the E07K's DAC should be a fair bit better then the laptop's DAC chip, the E07K can only use it's amplifier (not DAC) with the iPod.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #9 of 23
My friend has a fiio E12, and I'll consider the fiio e07k if I like the results of the SRH840's paired with the E12.

Is the fiio e07k a better amp or dac? How is the equilizer?

"Is the FiiO E07K a better amp or DAC?" compared to ?
I know zero about the E07K's EQ feature.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #12 of 23
Does anyone know the difference between the fiio E07k and the fiio E11 for SRH840's from my laptop or iPod? How's the equalizer? Should I consider a cheap amp at all for more bass presence?

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #14 of 23
Does anyone know the difference between the fiio E07k and the fiio E11 for SRH840's from my laptop or iPod? How's the equalizer? Should I consider a cheap amp at all for more bass presence?

The E07K is a DAC & Amp, the E11 is an amp only.
Both sound drive the SRH840 about quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back