Amphora Headphone Amp Impressions
Sep 17, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #256 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel that the HD800/Amphora combo needs a little more gain. Even in Hi gain, I am at the last 25 % of the volume switch to properly amp the Senns.
B4 my unfortunate incident, I was going to ask Vinnie if he could increase the gain for "hi gain mode", by 2 or 3 just for the 800's. It drives everything else with the greatest of ease.

A big "Thank You" from me to KingStyles, Vinnie R. and immtbiker for your replies to my request for information about how the Amphora works with the HD800.

OK, so now I don't have the "I don't have the amp to drive them" excuse to continue to not own a pair of HD800. I'm pretty much down to the "I don't have the $$$ to pay for them" excuse - a pretty compelling excuse (until some darned load o' cash comes rolling in to take it away from me). Oh well, I guess I'll just have to resign myself to what looks like the collision course that I'm on with a pair of HD800. Who knows, maybe by then, Ken will have the ALO aftermarket cable for it perfected (with apologies if, in fact, it's already BEEN perfected).

But, enough of my Ed Grimley-fications! Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #257 of 307
If you want something cheaper that has great synergy, look into the d7000s. There a great compliment to those "open" cans.
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #258 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But, enough of my Ed Grimley-fications! Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Keep that Ed Grimley grease away from your cans!!!

Ed_Grimley.jpg

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #259 of 307
Quote:

Keep that Ed Grimley grease away from your cans!!!

Ed_Grimley.jpg

Alas, if only I had the hair to support the use of such grease! No, the only point of my resemblance to Ed Grimley is in our hopelessly irrepressible dreaming.

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #260 of 307
Quote:

I feel that the HD800/Amphora combo needs a little more gain. Even in Hi gain, I am at the last 25% of the volume switch to properly amp the Senns.
B4 my unfortunate incident, I was going to ask Vinnie if he could increase the gain for "hi gain mode", by 2 or 3 just for the 800's. It drives everything else with the greatest of ease.

Note that this depends on your source. If you using a iPod/iMod - the line out voltage is only approx. 1Vrms, while if your are using a typical CDP or dac that outputs 2Vrms, you'll probably find that high gain is more than enough!

Also, even if you need to go to 2 or 3 o'clock to drive the 800s, this alone is not a problem - as long as when you go to max volume it is as loud as you need to play, then the gain structure is actually very good because it gives you plenty of "steps" in between no volume (MIN) and MAX volume - so you have more ability to fine-tune the volume level.

It the sound became loud at, say 11 o'clock (due to increasing gain), then the rest of the volume control range (say from 12 o'clock to MAX) would not be useful because it would be too loud and maybe loud enough to reach clipping...

Just some food for thought on this subject of source voltage, gain, volume control position, etc.
wink.gif

Hope this makes sense and is not too off-topic.

All the best,

Vinnie

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #261 of 307
So I am well past the 200hr mark, more like 250, and I have a question. I am enjoying my Amphora with my 650s/Cardas, but I am interested in the W5000s. From what I have read, they sound like a good match for my style of music. Has anyone had a chance to hear the W5000s with the Amphora?

Kevin

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #262 of 307
ken and-or Vinnie,
Recently I have noticed a rather loud hiss or background hiss when using my Amphora. I am using a iPod with a 1ft iPod-Mini SXC cable, and ESW9s as my main headphone of choice. When I turn the Amphora on, the headphones produce an alarmingly loud pop (never been a problem before now with this amp), and than hiss during play. This hiss is present with music playing and not playing, and with or without the iPod plugged up or on/off. The battery is fully charged at the start of most listening. I raise this concern as I could not part with this amp, and this is a recent phenomenon.

Could this just be interference, (would the RCA caps or covers reduce this?) or is there something else that could cause this that I'm not aware of? I ask because I have never heard this level of "noise" before on the Amphora with full-size cans. I have heard it with my e4cs but they are never my first choice for the Amphora. Any help or insight would be appreciated,
Thanks.

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #263 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ken and-or Vinnie,
Recently I have noticed a rather loud hiss or background hiss when using my Amphora. I am using a iPod with a 1ft iPod-Mini SXC cable, and ESW9s as my main headphone of choice. When I turn the Amphora on, the headphones produce an alarmingly loud pop (never been a problem before now with this amp), and than hiss during play. This hiss is present with music playing and not playing, and with or without the iPod plugged up or on/off. The battery is fully charged at the start of most listening. I raise this concern as I could not part with this amp, and this is a recent phenomenon.

Could this just be interference, (would the RCA caps or covers reduce this?) or is there something else that could cause this that I'm not aware of? I ask because I have never heard this level of "noise" before on the Amphora with full-size cans. I have heard it with my e4cs but they are never my first choice for the Amphora. Any help or insight would be appreciated,
Thanks.

Is your battery low or going bad?

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #266 of 307
Quote:

When I turn the Amphora on, the headphones produce an alarmingly loud pop (never been a problem before now with this amp), and than hiss during play.

Hi kboe,

This does not sound normal. Please send it to me (Contact - Red Wine Audio) and I'll take a look and take care of it ASAP.

I apologize for the inconvenience, but I'll have this taken care of ASAP for you.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #268 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ The SE looks much more luxurious.

yes it does due to c.maple grain is lovely .
however there is a kind of disharmony as well
if you looking at the front of the amp and you
can notice cut of line of botom part of the amp.

IMHO of course

for this reason solid paduk is still a winner :-D

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #269 of 307
I just received my Amphora with a padauk finish, and I absolutely love it. This will, in all likelihood, be my last headphone amp. Unless of course I happen to stumble across an Isabellina HPA!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back