Amphora Headphone Amp Impressions
Mar 19, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #272 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valens7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my Amphora with a padauk finish, and I absolutely love it. This will, in all likelihood, be my last headphone amp. Unless of course I happen to stumble across an Isabellina HPA!
wink.gif

So, when do you send my Amphora back that you demo'd? Can you overnight it Saturday delivery?
popcorn.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #273 of 307
Heh, if you'd really like me to!
biggrin.gif
It would be the least I could do.

I'll see what I can do about pics. I don't have a camera handy, but I should be able to get some in the next couple of days. Having the opportunity to directly compare both, I can say with some certainty that I prefer the padauk finish to the black walnut. The pics on Ken's site just don't quite capture just how good it looks I think.

Ken was both helpful and responsive in my dealings with him. I always appreciate good customer service, and he delivered it amply.

My serial # is 16 BTW!
smily_headphones1.gif
FWIW, I'm pleased that I got such a low number. Also, stepped attenuators rule! This is the first time I've ever used one, and I'm really enjoying it.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #274 of 307
Quote:

Heh, if you'd really like me to!
biggrin.gif
It would be the least I could do.

I'll see what I can do about pics. I don't have a camera handy, but I should be able to get some in the next couple of days. Having the opportunity to directly compare both, I can say with some certainty that I prefer the padauk finish to the black walnut. The pics on Ken's site just don't quite capture just how good it looks I think.

Ken was both helpful and responsive in my dealings with him. I always appreciate good customer service, and he delivered it amply.

My serial # is 16 BTW!
smily_headphones1.gif
FWIW, I'm pleased that I got such a low number. Also, stepped attenuators rule! This is the first time I've ever used one, and I'm really enjoying it.

Well, if you send it the slow way you have to include a box of chocolates.
very_evil_smiley.gif
(really)

You didn't tell anyone that mine is serial number 000/100 did you?
ph34r.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #275 of 307
I'll see what I can do about chocolates!
tongue.gif
And no, I didn't divulge that information to anyone.
wink.gif
I can be trusted with intelligence of a sensitive nature!

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #276 of 307
Quote:

tongue.gif
wink.gif

Good. I like marzipan too - they don't have any in Colorado.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #277 of 307
Quote:

I just received my Amphora with a padauk finish, and I absolutely love it. This will, in all likelihood, be my last headphone amp. Unless of course I happen to stumble across an Isabellina HPA!
wink.gif

Hi Valens7,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Amphora! I agree - the Padauk finish looks a lot better in person than on the ALO website (come on Ken, how 'bout a new picture to really show of the beauty!
icon10.gif
).

Thanks to HeadphoneAddict for letting you borrow his!
cool.gif

Happy Listening!

Vinnie

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #278 of 307
Quote:

tongue.gif
wink.gif

My birthday was the 15th and I still don't have any chocolates, but I did get the Amphora back today without scratches and it still works! Whew! Thanks for keeping her safe.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #279 of 307
Yeah, Larry is back in Amphora Town.
There's only 100 people allowed in town and yes, everyone went to the same high school of listening.
I'll have Brownie Lady FedEx you some of her next batch!

NYC Spring Meet Tradition:
dsc0148uv.jpg

8 1/2 mintes later:
4430658741_519fbff9f0_b.jpg

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #280 of 307
I like brownies. Mmmmm....

I was caught in a dilemma because I could have sold my Amphora to Valens7, but I wasn't sure I wanted to part with the low SN. I initially didn't want to send it on loan because I use it often with my iMod (a big reason the Amphora hasn't been traded in for an Isabellina HPA).

I entertained the prospect of having Ken and Vinnie build me an SE instead, but it would consume a large part of my Nighthawk funds to do the upgrade after taking a loss selling mine used. I was also worried that the Amphora SE might be harder to resell and recoup the price difference over the base Amphora, because not everyone believes in the differences wires can make.

So, when Valens7 decided to buy a new paduak Amphora from Ken after hearing mine for a few days it helped me in a way, because I don't have to make those hard decisions now. I needed money to build my Sand eXStatA, but it was easier to part with my Digital Link III than the Amphora (replaced it with Perfectwave DAC).

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #281 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
I like brownies. Mmmmm....

Don't rule out the possibility that you may yet receive something!
biggrin.gif

I'm so glad that you received your Amphora safe and sound. I went ahead and left you feedback.
beerchug.gif

This amplifier impresses me more every time I listen to it. It is just dead-nuts neutral, and it has strength to spare. I find myself looking for the power cord from time to time! How can a nine volt battery produce sound of this caliber? Count me in as a believer in battery POWAH.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, I suspect, to the stepped attenuator, the Amphora particularly excels at low-volume listening. It doesn't give anything up in the bargain, which has not really been my experience with any other amplifier that I've had the chance to use.

As it stands right now, my system can handle any genre I throw at it. The Amphora may excel with acoustic music, but it is by no means limited to that area. If it was, I would not have purchased it. I'm listening to an IDM – ugh, hate that tag – album right now, and, let me tell you, I'm really feeling the beat! Clean from top to bottom; that's the sound I get from my Amphora.

I really should put up some photos of #016. The padauk finish is just so sexy. Bear with me. I'm still waiting on a camera.
redface.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #282 of 307
Heres mine next to my MP-301, bought after Skylabs Review. I'll have to agree with Vinnie that no photo does one of these things justice. Mine has an amazing ghost pattern that almost looks like a hologram. Spooky beautiful!

Photoon2010-03-23at13452.jpg

Mar 27, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #283 of 307
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heres mine next to my MP-301, bought after Skylabs Review. I'll have to agree with Vinnie that no photo does one of these things justice. Mine has an amazing ghost pattern that almost looks like a hologram. Spooky beautiful!

I have my Amphora next to a Mapletree Ear+ HD amp. Having available, with the same source, tubes and an Amphora, does a great job presenting just about everything that I want to hear from my music. I've got to agree with you, Kevin, that no photo shows the depth of the beauty in the hand-selected "chunks" of wood from which Ken has his Amphora cases carved. Your description of its beauty, though, is the best I've read to date. When I gaze at (and listen using) my Amphora, I feel as though it's a treasure of an earlier age that I salvaged from a great wooden chest in my grandfather's attic. (Edit: Hopefully, at least one of my grandchildren will be sufficiently interested in audio that they can literally DO that. Now, I just need to GET a great wooden chest to store my heirlooms in for when that time comes.)

Thanks again, Kevin, for your reminder of just how special these amps are.

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #284 of 307
Quote:

As it stands right now, my system can handle any genre I throw at it. The Amphora may excel with acoustic music, but it is by no means limited to that area. If it was, I would not have purchased it. I'm listening to an IDM – ugh, hate that tag – album right now, and, let me tell you, I'm really feeling the beat! Clean from top to bottom; that's the sound I get from my Amphora.

I really should put up some photos of #016. The padauk finish is just so sexy. Bear with me. I'm still waiting on a camera.
redface.gif

I could not agree with you more. My MA cds dang near bring me to tears every time. The Amphora is just so honest, natural, seemingly un-amped or "not there", and I mean that is a good way. Its like someone simply removed the amp from my system. The only sonic attribute that I can give it is the slightest touch of romanticism. God I love this amp!!!

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #285 of 307
There's no doubt that Vinnie and Ken, or I should say "Ken and Vinnie" (it's Ken's forum), truly hit on one of the true winning combinations in our modest little inexpensive hobby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back