.....and, I'm up for air!
Nov 23, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #31 of 273
Sweet setup!
If it's the same game, my friends and I call it 10,000 or just dice:) three 1's=1000, three pairs=1500, last two dice rolled in a turn are a 'push' to continue if they're the same number. If there are dice remaining from the previous 'live' turn, the current player can choose to continue with the remaining dice and previous score, but never on a qualifying roll. Must get 10,000 points exactly or turn is over etc..

Pretty much the plumbus of dice games.

I'm a bit of a weirdo in the sense of when we play I like a cloth top to hear tunes better. Sometimes in a frisbee! My fave surface so far has been a wide wooden stump on castors. Nice low thud! 3's is a good one too for a less lengthy session.

Living the dream Tyll!!

Speaking of partying: When I pulled in, I stopped by Jamie's bus at center camp. I told him I had a couple of batteries that were about half good that I could donate. He said sure and we went into my rig to get them. He was wowed by Putt. When I told him I had trouble shooting skills and would love to help if someone came up to him and said they had a weird electrical problem I'd love to help by going to take a look for diagnosis. He said that happens all the time and maybe I should park right next to him. When I told him I had a Farkle Hut and he said what's a Farkle Hut, I showed him a picture. then he said, "Yeah, you have to park right next to me."

Here's Putt and the Farkle Hut next to Jamie's bus at center camp.

DSC00566-L.jpg

DSC00538-L.jpg

The Farkle Hut got a work-out at the van build.

Here's a video Tina did of me and the Farkle Hut.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #32 of 273
Sweet setup!
If it's the same game, my friends and I call it 10,000 or just dice:)

Pretty much the same game as 10000, but three 1s is 300; any four of a kind 1000; 3 pairs and a straight are 1500; 2 trips and five of a kind is 2500;
six of a kind is 3000.

If I play my rules with a group of 10000 players I never win because they take a bit more risk and someone will get a big roll. but if I play Farkle 1 on 1 with a 10000 player I'll usually win. There are other Farkle rule sets that are more popular than what I play----I play the most basic and pure rules.

My fave surface so far has been a wide wooden stump on castors. Nice low thud! 3's is a good one too for a less lengthy session.

Living the dream Tyll!!

Oh yeah, I've noticed big differences in playing surfaces. the 13 layers of urethane on the Farkle Hut table grip the rounded edges of the die and make them dance in a lovely way.

Thanks for the color commentary, Wink!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #33 of 273
Anyhow, a couple of days go by, and Jamie walks up to me and says, "Man, I got so much stuff going on, and I got this headphone review I really want to do for this guy."

I looked him in the eye for a few seconds. "I haven't told you what I did for a living, have I?"

"No."

"I was a professional headphone reviewer."

"Holy smoke, your kidding me. Will you review these for me, pretty please?"

There's pretty much no one else I would do it for, but Jamie is the man.

"Of course, but it's the last headphone review I'll ever do for you."

So here it is folks, buy very last headphone review...for sure!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #36 of 273
Dec 7, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #37 of 273
Phew. Van build is over, time to start on my own van build. You see, phase one of my build was just getting out the door in a workable situation. Now that I’m out and about, and have the money from my house, I can start on phase two—-which is throwing a bunch of money at various things. First up, finishing the electrical system.

After the van build I made my way to a camp where a number of friends from a van dwelller forum will be showing up throughout the winter. I was last man out of the van build, and someone had abandon Skully. He doesn’t bother you with senseless chit-chat, and hardly eats a thing. I guess I’ve adopted him.

IMG_2898-L.jpg

Spent the next couple of days wiring in my inverter/charger and battery monitor.

IMG_2906-L.jpg

Also put 4 new 100W solar panels on the roof for a total of 600W. The four Trojan golf cart batteries give me about 240AH of useful 12V juice. Not enough for air conditioning or a microwave (neither of which I plan to have) but a goodly amount for the recharge it of gadgets and to build some water for coffee in the AM on an induction cooktop.

Currently I’m in Lake Havasu doing a little shopping. Got some slippers and a new mattress. Ooooo...comfy. Also going to be picking up a bunch of parts for my water filtration system, which I’ll be working on out in the desert for the next week. I’ll do a better job of taking pix this time.

Dec 8, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #39 of 273
So glad to get all these updates!! Keep it up Tyll and enjoy the open road!

Dec 8, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #41 of 273
I'll try. 'Course stuff happens....

Like I was pulling up to the stop sign at the I10 exit 1 in Ehrenberg when I came to a full stop and the engine died....and just wouldn't start again.

GPTempDownload-L.jpg

Ruh rho!

Got a $600 tow five miles into Blythe CA and Shafer Diesel Repair.

IMG_2883-L.jpg

Larry runs the shop, which is half the big open barn. His dad David has the other half for his hay transportation business. Larry's been repairing big semis and hay squeezes since he was a kid. A hay squeeze is like a fork lift for hay bales, and weighs 27,000 pounds and can pick up 8000 of hay at a pop!

Hay%20Squeeze%20Sm.jpg

Larry had Putt diagnosed the next day, but it took a week for the part to come in. So, I spent a week camped out in a hay shed with Bob (who lives in the derelict RV you can see in the picture above) and the yard dog, Wilber. Dart loved hanging with Wilber.

IMG_2889-L.jpg

I don't like the engine in Putt. It's a Navistar VT365, which was sold to Ford as the Powerstroke 6 liter. They're an engine that's known to fail. My problem was with the high pressure oil pump the provides injection pressure, but the engines are known for headbolt stretch, which leads to leaky head gaskets...and worse.

My plan all along has been to do an engine swap with a Cummins 5.9 liter 12 valve---an all analog engine (no computer) and considered one of the most reliable Diesel engines ever made. Unfortunately, I've been having a hard time finding someone I would trust to do the swap. After a couple days in the barn, I asked Larry if he'd be interested. He said it wasn't what he does, he fixes broke down semis. The he commenced to tell me I should swap in an old school Allison 545 for the computerized Allison 1000 currently in it, and a half dozen other things as he slowly talked himself into doing the job. I dropped $10000 on him to buy the engine and tranny, and I'll spend another 15K maybe on a second fuel tank, air ride driver seat, on-board compressor; and labor.

But here's the really cool thing, he'll let me help him. All the gauges and most of the wiring harness will go away, a new analog gauge cluster will be installed and al new wires run. I'll do most of the electrical work. If I had to take it to a custom truck shop I'd never have been able to help. Now I'll know the truck inside and out. My $4000 repair bill was worth every penny.

You drop that new engine in yet? Very curious to see and hear about that. Enjoy the no-strings attached semi-digital nomad lifestyle!

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #43 of 273
It’s good to see you can manage and financialy all seems well. You lucky boy! :wink:
Nature is somethin I love too, we all do, don’t we? I only imagine how fresh the air must be on road on certain places, and you can get very close to it.
Keep making friends and cheering yourself up! Your body will love you for few minutes of peaceful sittimg, walking etc. each day every hour or two. So feel free to find your own rhythm of doing things. Hey and 5 dishes a day at least, no big ones, only small ones, and your belly will tighten itself up! And drink a lot clean water. Big breakfast, orange, medium lunch, apple, apple, small supper, beer, great way to stay healthy.

Good wind

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #44 of 273
Wow! Great to have you back in the fold!! Looking forward to living vicariously though your adventures!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back