Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Sep 24, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #256 of 603
Vexing issue: The low volume balance.

I notice a slight imbalance but it is at a volume so low even with somewhat sensitive IEM that nobody would be listening that quietly.

I would be inclined to get a replacement unit if they consider that the one you have is not acceptable, if the one you have is really that bad the chances of getting another one that is equally bad seems low.

Alternatively, do you have a source that offers an adjustable line out ? You could simply lower the input volume so you are needing to wind the volume pot on the amplifier higher and out of the imbalance range. With an adjustable true line out it is not like lowering a digital volume, you are not losing anything by doing so.

Sep 24, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #257 of 603
Recently purchased a PA-10 and have an issue.

Here's the deal:

The unit has fine sound, I mean this is truly fine sound and powers everything I've got. I doubt that I would get a Class-A amp with this power and BAL LO [a main selling point for me] for this price, anywhere.

Vexing issue: The low volume balance. My hearing isn't perfect, some high frequency loss for sure but its sensitivity is pretty good, maybe very good. With LO set on either balanced or SE, using a pair of reasonably sensitive over-ear cans, I have to turn the volume knob, I would estimate, nearly 1/6 to 1/5 of MAX, to get the channels balanced. This is basically the same on low or high gain. It starts off with the right channel's volume coming in and gradually evens out (I think) with the left. I am well aware that analogue volume pots have this issue and I have a few with this but this seems to be maybe the worst I've experienced. I have read a few reports from folks on this thread that they have this too so it seems that the PA-10 may have this issue, at least with some units.

My DAP has a balance feature in audio controls that permits balance adjustment even with the LO (I just tested it) so with a little tweaking, I can listen to low volume music out of the amp and even out the balance. At the point of doing all of that however, I might as well listen right off the DAP.

This was bought from a reputable seller I've previously dealt with and was factory sealed. I have about another week or so that I can return. The seller does not permit refunds only exchanges and I knew this going in. If this were an easy refund return (like some sites offer) I would strongly just consider returning for a refund. I don't say any of this lightly. I really like the sound and am very impressed with the overall quality and solidity of the amp, but I wonder if the balance of these potentiometers may really vary from unit to unit and I got one at the farther end of the bell curve.

I estimate it would cost, with insurance and tracking, probably $50.00 to $100.00 bucks to return and then, of course the rub is, would I get another new unit with the exact same issue? At that point I'd have to stop the insanity but I'm out the postage and added stress of monitoring a return along with the possibility of a mailing issue, theft, damage, etc.

Should I live with this and just deal with it, enjoy the great sound and accept it or take the risk as stated above of an attempt at an exchange?

Thanks for any advice!
What resistance and efficiency do your headphones have?

Sep 24, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #260 of 603
Much higher resistance than my 16Ω,
it's strange that there is such a large imbalance,
think it may be the fault of your PA10 unit.
Yep and I have planars that are way less sensitive and it's there too. Both outputs, same thing. And when the balance does seem to even out I could swear that there's still a slight right side bias. And this is testing with Mono mixes.

I can, thankfully, deal with this at the source with probably a mild Left +1 or +2 channel bias and forget about it or return for exchange and hope that the place didn't get a lot that had this issue and another one would be ditto. I'm leaning towards the former since everything else about the amp is great. We'll see.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and personal experience with your PA-10's , lots of common sense advice, I'll just have to make a decision.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #261 of 603
Mine has this imbalance, but not to the extend of 1/5 or 1/6 of MAX. It's more like less than 1/8. When the dot on the knob is at the straight down position I can not detect any inbalance with the more sensitive IEMs already. I just bought mine new with a really good deal this month and the seller already discontinued the product, so I decided to live with it for the absolutely beautiful sound, especially when I use it with a SP1K and the Utopia, and there is no imbalance issue with the pairing.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #262 of 603
Recently purchased a PA-10 and have an issue.

Here's the deal:

The unit has fine sound, I mean this is truly fine sound and powers everything I've got. I doubt that I would get a Class-A amp with this power and BAL LO [a main selling point for me] for this price, anywhere.

Vexing issue: The low volume balance. My hearing isn't perfect, some high frequency loss for sure but its sensitivity is pretty good, maybe very good. With LO set on either balanced or SE, using a pair of reasonably sensitive over-ear cans, I have to turn the volume knob, I would estimate, nearly 1/6 to 1/5 of MAX, to get the channels balanced. This is basically the same on low or high gain. It starts off with the right channel's volume coming in and gradually evens out (I think) with the left. I am well aware that analogue volume pots have this issue and I have a few with this but this seems to be maybe the worst I've experienced. I have read a few reports from folks on this thread that they have this too so it seems that the PA-10 may have this issue, at least with some units.

My DAP has a balance feature in audio controls that permits balance adjustment even with the LO (I just tested it) so with a little tweaking, I can listen to low volume music out of the amp and even out the balance. At the point of doing all of that however, I might as well listen right off the DAP.

This was bought from a reputable seller I've previously dealt with and was factory sealed. I have about another week or so that I can return. The seller does not permit refunds only exchanges and I knew this going in. If this were an easy refund return (like some sites offer) I would strongly just consider returning for a refund. I don't say any of this lightly. I really like the sound and am very impressed with the overall quality and solidity of the amp, but I wonder if the balance of these potentiometers may really vary from unit to unit and I got one at the farther end of the bell curve.

I estimate it would cost, with insurance and tracking, probably $50.00 to $100.00 bucks to return and then, of course the rub is, would I get another new unit with the exact same issue? At that point I'd have to stop the insanity but I'm out the postage and added stress of monitoring a return along with the possibility of a mailing issue, theft, damage, etc.

Should I live with this and just deal with it, enjoy the great sound and accept it or take the risk as stated above of an attempt at an exchange?

Thanks for any advice!
Mine also have imbalance on small volume. Even o try a demo unit is the same.Coz this kind of volume pot use is like that. If u have an iem high sensitive easy drive it definitely will occur.i also use music app to lower gain to balance it.

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #263 of 603
has anybody else ever felt like, a slight 'bump' in the volume knob when turning it at about 75% or so? Might happen moreso when turning the knob fast. That was also when I was running the PA10 to my ZMFs off a low gain source, so it was getting cranked pretty high - my M11 plus with the actual LO setting I don't have to turn it nearly as high (i'm not an abusive volume listener). It was slightly disconcerting feeling but has never seemed to have a negative effect on anything.

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #264 of 603
has anybody else ever felt like, a slight 'bump' in the volume knob when turning it at about 75% or so? Might happen moreso when turning the knob fast. That was also when I was running the PA10 to my ZMFs off a low gain source, so it was getting cranked pretty high - my M11 plus with the actual LO setting I don't have to turn it nearly as high (i'm not an abusive volume listener). It was slightly disconcerting feeling but has never seemed to have a negative effect on anything.
I don't have that bump

Sep 25, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #265 of 603
https://ifi-audio.com/products/iematch4-4/
You can try this adapter (there are 3 versions, 2 of which are balanced) - 2 settings increase the impedance. You have to listen to the result in louder volume regions. The effect on very sensitive IEMs is interesting - sometimes you can buy them second-hand for a fraction of the price.
Of course, check before purchasing.

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #266 of 603
The knob on mine has slightly more resistance after about 65% or so, but not a "bump", just tighter all the way to max. If I intentionally exercise it a couple times it goes away but after idling for a while it just returns. I guess over time with use it might become smoother.

Sep 26, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #267 of 603
The knob on mine has slightly more resistance after about 65% or so, but not a "bump", just tighter all the way to max. If I intentionally exercise it a couple times it goes away but after idling for a while it just returns. I guess over time with use it might become smoother.
Yeah that's probably what it is - i'm sure i'm being paranoid, I was just curious if anyone else had a similar experience.

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #268 of 603
Hi All. As I have listed my PA10 in classifieds I’m willing to sell my black leather Dignis case bought from Accessory Jack. Mint condition, EU only. Save on long wait & customs and drop me a pm if interested :wink:.

Oct 10, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #269 of 603
Has anyone used or even seen in person the Miter case for pa10? It has been back in stock on amazon (US anyway) - but from the pictures it doesn't really look like it follows the step down curve thing on the one side and I wouldn't want it to 'wobble' around in there. The dignis case is obviously nice but I don't really wanna drop that much dough - i'm just looking for basic protection.

https://www.amazon.com/MITER-CASE-Handmade-Pull-Up-AK-PA10-Brown/dp/B0C4Z4DRRZ

This one is also on amazon now, same as the one on aliexpress - I will probably just go with this one, but the miter case looked nice too, for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Leather-Protective-iRiver-Astell/dp/B0CG8G62QX?th=1

Oct 10, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #270 of 603
The Miter case works fine. Nice and snug and a reasonable price. IMG_0237.jpgIMG_0236.jpgIMG_0235.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back