Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 5, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #4,382 of 6,486
Hey guys, I'm brand new to head-fi (threads and products). I have about a $10K home audio setup but little experience with headphones. Recently I purchased a pair of Bowers and Wilkins P7s and a Fiio E12 amp as my first venture past Beats. Massive difference in sq which makes me thirsty for even better headphones. (Ugh..another wallet shrinking hobby..) The EL-8 seems like a perfect next step up to mid-fi. Here in San Diego where I live, I'm lucky enough to have an Audeze dealer very close by. They said they'll have the open backs this week and the closed backs next week as per a call to Audeze HQ which is only about an hour drive away. I have some questions before I pull the trigger on the closed backs. Keep in mind I listen to about 80% EDM, 15% Hip-Hop, and about 5% modern rock music. First, is it really going to be a huge step up in sq to my P7s? I do love the rich "fun" eq curve of those phones for my music, but the treble gets harsh and loses detail sometimes at higher volumes and they're hit or miss with different songs. Second, I absolutely adore the sound of EDM through lightning fast speakers like Martin Logan electrostats. Do planar magnetic headphones sound that fast and give the "textured sound" that electrostats do? I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the EL-8s throughout this thread. Seems like the people who have heard or own summit-fi phones aren't moved by the EL-8s. Understandable. My local Audeze dealer asked if I wanted to hear any of the LCDs before the EL-8s arrived and I promptly said NO THANKS! Reason being is I'm such an impulse buyer when it comes to delicious sounding audio gear. So if I bumped some lossless Deadmau5 through an LCD3 they'd be coming home with me, and I'm not down to blow that much on headphones..this year. So I guess what I'm asking is coming from the P7s, are the EL-8s gonna blow my mind? I plan on keeping the Fiio E12 to amp them for now since it has a 50hz bass boost that sounds tastefully done. Will I get a bigger soundstage with the closed EL-8 vs P7? Similar or more bass? Texture? 

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #4,383 of 6,486
Depends who you ask...

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #4,384 of 6,486
If EDM makes up that much of your listening time, I worry you may be underwhelmed with the bass response of the el-8. Definitely have a listen and judge for yourself, but as much as I'm loving the El-8 p, I'd have a hard time recommending it to heavy edm and hip-hop bass heads. I find the el-8 produces a wonderfully, natural and convincing sound, but it just doesn't have as much energy when it comes to artificially enhanced bass notes.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #4,385 of 6,486
So I am about 70% of the way there to affording the EL-8 Open-Back. Just need a bit more resources.

@chowmein83
told me in a private conversation how the HE-400i and EL-8 are fairly similar, but he basically prefers the HE-400i slightly. However, he only heard the pre-production EL-8. If anyone can tell me more about how they think the EL-8 and HE-400i differ, their strengths and weaknesses, and so on, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm asking this because I would probably only be able to get one or the other in the near future. (And I could possibly get the HE-400i almost immediately, but would have to wait longer to get the EL-8.)

I have some experience with both of these. I'll start by saying that both of them are awesome headphones and you can't go wrong either way. Sound wise, I think the hifiman he-400i has a more fun (but colored) sound. Definitely more bass response and energy at the lowest octave. The el-8 is more neutral and true to form, so it really comes down to the type of music you enjoy as to which of these signatures is preferable.

Now, where the el8 shines in comparison to the he-400i is fit and finish. No one will argue here that the el-8 is in another league when it comes to design and build quality. This is particularly important to me, so that's why I'd give it the overall edge (although you pay more for that luxury too).

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #4,386 of 6,486
If EDM makes up that much of your listening time, I worry you may be underwhelmed with the bass response of the el-8. Definitely have a listen and judge for yourself, but as much as I'm loving the El-8 p, I'd have a hard time recommending it to heavy edm and hip-hop bass heads. I find the el-8 produces a wonderfully, natural and convincing sound, but it just doesn't have as much energy when it comes to artificially enhanced bass notes.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. So what's this Audeze planar "slam bass" I keep reading about? Mike Mercer's review says the EL-8s definitely have that when he listened to hip-hop through them..and that was the open back version. I'm also reading about people eq-ing to get the sound they want out of them. Which is why I'm wondering if the bass boost on my E12 will compensate for any lack of bass energy for EDM. If that works I'll soon upgrade to a Centrance HiFi-M8 which also has bass and treble boost as well as an impedence selector switch for further tailoring. But if the EL-8s are REALLY light in the bass I won't even bother. Really what I want them for is the semi-portability, hopefully fast and textured sq, and that killer design all in a closed back package. I can't do open backs, and the only other Audeze closed back is LCD-XC which is out of budget and humongous.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #4,387 of 6,486
I think you can definitely achieve the sound you want with a little eq or the right amp pairing, but I definitely would recommend a listen before buying. Pairings can be tricky things to nail, but a good ad should let you try things out. You may want to give the hifiman he-560s a listen too...I think these are better for EDM, but build quality isn't nearly as good. At the least, the 560s will give a good point of comparison.

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #4,388 of 6,486
I think you can definitely achieve the sound you want with a little eq or the right amp pairing, but I definitely would recommend a listen before buying. Pairings can be tricky things to nail, but a good ad should let you try things out. You may want to give the hifiman he-560s a listen too...I think these are better for EDM, but build quality isn't nearly as good. At the least, the 560s will give a good point of comparison.

I hear ya. Thanks for the replies btw. I told the dudes at the store I'm bringing in my E12 and doing at least a 30min listening session with the EL-8s before I swipe the card. They're very much audiophiles in there so I know they won't mind. As far as those he-560s, they're open-backs right? I'm definitely in the closed-back market for now. Also, I'm going to T.H.E. Newport Audio Show in May that has a whole section for headphones, dacs, and amps. Super excited to check all those closed models out. But from what I'm reading, there isn't many closed-back options under $1k that can trump the EL-8s right?

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #4,389 of 6,486
I hear ya. Thanks for the replies btw. I told the dudes at the store I'm bringing in my E12 and doing at least a 30min listening session with the EL-8s before I swipe the card. They're very much audiophiles in there so I know they won't mind. As far as those he-560s, they're open-backs right? I'm definitely in the closed-back market for now. Also, I'm going to T.H.E. Newport Audio Show in May that has a whole section for headphones, dacs, and amps. Super excited to check all those closed models out. But from what I'm reading, there isn't many closed-back options under $1k that can trump the EL-8s right?

I preferred the Final Audio Pandora Hope VI for the same money.

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #4,390 of 6,486
Ah. Yes. For closed backs the market for high end is a tad more limited. This is precisely why I went with the el-8. I know many in the community love mr speakers closed back, offerings, although I've never heard them personally. Those seem to hit right around a similar price point. At the same time, the el-8 design and build is just so much better. I can't imagine switching to a modded fostex after owning these.

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #4,391 of 6,486
I have been running P7's through a fiios x5 for the last year.  I took the x5 to CanJam last week and hooked it up to a closed set of Audeze el-8's.  I was knocked out by how clear the imaging was on the Audeze.  Also, the whole sound seemed relaxing like you could listen to them all day long.  They were very light and comfortable.

I borrowed my neighbors  lcd-2's yesterday and ran them on the x5 and a dedicated lehman headphone amp.  The lcd-2's seemed massive, heavy, but had an incredible sound.  That SQ only scaled up when I went from x5 (high gain) to the lehman.

This coming week I plan to do a careful comparison to the closed vs open-back elates.  I know that with open back I will miss the isolation I am used to with the P7's (which are one of the best at their price point).  I can see myself trying to relax to music with all the external noises on a plane or for that matter irritating the couple next to me when Robert Plant is wailing!  Keep us up to date on your search!

cheers 
beerchug.gif

jhv

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #4,394 of 6,486
  Hey guys, I'm brand new to head-fi (threads and products). I have about a $10K home audio setup but little experience with headphones. Recently I purchased a pair of Bowers and Wilkins P7s and a Fiio E12 amp as my first venture past Beats. Massive difference in sq which makes me thirsty for even better headphones. (Ugh..another wallet shrinking hobby..) The EL-8 seems like a perfect next step up to mid-fi. Here in San Diego where I live, I'm lucky enough to have an Audeze dealer very close by. They said they'll have the open backs this week and the closed backs next week as per a call to Audeze HQ which is only about an hour drive away. I have some questions before I pull the trigger on the closed backs. Keep in mind I listen to about 80% EDM, 15% Hip-Hop, and about 5% modern rock music. First, is it really going to be a huge step up in sq to my P7s? I do love the rich "fun" eq curve of those phones for my music, but the treble gets harsh and loses detail sometimes at higher volumes and they're hit or miss with different songs. Second, I absolutely adore the sound of EDM through lightning fast speakers like Martin Logan electrostats. Do planar magnetic headphones sound that fast and give the "textured sound" that electrostats do? I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the EL-8s throughout this thread. Seems like the people who have heard or own summit-fi phones aren't moved by the EL-8s. Understandable. My local Audeze dealer asked if I wanted to hear any of the LCDs before the EL-8s arrived and I promptly said NO THANKS! Reason being is I'm such an impulse buyer when it comes to delicious sounding audio gear. So if I bumped some lossless Deadmau5 through an LCD3 they'd be coming home with me, and I'm not down to blow that much on headphones..this year. So I guess what I'm asking is coming from the P7s, are the EL-8s gonna blow my mind? I plan on keeping the Fiio E12 to amp them for now since it has a 50hz bass boost that sounds tastefully done. Will I get a bigger soundstage with the closed EL-8 vs P7? Similar or more bass? Texture? 

I prefer the p7 over the EL-8 closed back, I hate the closed back El-8

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #4,395 of 6,486

Yeah I think the dealer is by the pet store, right? Love their hifi gear and vinyl selection.

I had the P7's and returned them. Comfort alone should be much better with Audeze, expect for maybe weight. I felt too enclosed and the P7's didn't really rock my world. I have X's but if I am reading the reviews right, the EL8's are baby X's then that should be a huge leap in SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back