Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 3, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #13,007 of 18,459
Why are you angry? Do you mean that Audeze should have taken the Apple approach (i.e. "no new items on stock" = a new model is on it´s way)? That would have informed new buyers in primo / medio June to put their buy on hold for a couple of weeks.

Jul 3, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #13,009 of 18,459
Perhaps they should offer an upgrade/trade-in for people who have recently bought the older revision, like say in the last month or so.

If it's any older then you'll just have to deal with it. It'd be the same if it was a newer model car/tv/mountain bike etc. But for people who bought the old driver version literally a week before the new one there should be some sort of upgrade option, similar to what Earsonics did with the SM3 v2.

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #13,010 of 18,459

Quote:
This thread has turned into a whine-fest.

So a manufacturer is to be condemned for continually improving their product?

It may not be an improvement for some. IMHO it's more of a change. It may detract away from what we all find so endearing of the ORIGINAL LCD2. 

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #13,011 of 18,459
I absolutely applaud Audeze for continuing to improve their product. I also have absolutely no intention of "upgrading" mine.  I absolutely love the way they sound, and I have been down the path before of doing an "upgrade" which led to something I liked less.  I do not want a "less dark" LCD-2, personally.  But for some this will be just the ticket.

I do think that new model number would have been really helpful, however.  Now we will be stuck with the same "bass heavy" and "bass light" monikers that we had to deal with with the Sony R-10.  A new model number would have been much better.

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #13,012 of 18,459

Quote:
I absolutely applaud Audeze for continuing to improve their product. I also have absolutely no intention of "upgrading" mine.  I absolutely love the way they sound, and I have been down the path before of doing an "upgrade" which led to something I liked less.  I do not want a "less dark" LCD-2, personally. 

Ditto. No "less dark" for me. I find the LCD-2 borderline bright as it is.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #13,013 of 18,459

Quote:
Weird. There was a big difference to me between the two LCD-2s I have.  Maybe it was something else like damping that had changed, but there was a clear difference. My first pair was fairly early.

I have one of the first five units off the production line and a recent pair and there is no substantial sonic difference between them.  Big difference in comfort.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #13,014 of 18,459

Quote:
I have one of the first five units off the production line and a recent pair and there is no substantial sonic difference between them.  Big difference in comfort.

Maybe your recent pair is not recent enough. The measurements show a clear difference.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #13,015 of 18,459
Being somewhat new (Fall 2010) to the world of quality headphones I hadn't realized the LCD-2 had been out since Oct. 2009 until just now when I looked at the Audeze update page.  I bought mine the end of May and received June 2nd.  At the time I was possibly thinking of going to the HE-500 but this thread got me interested in the LCD-2.  Had I known that if I waited 2 weeks I could get the new driver I would have waited.  However, I like the "older" version and maybe in a couple years I'll go for the LCD-3 or try another sound signature.  Now I can justify buying the headphone band because I'm not buying the new version 
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #13,016 of 18,459
Quote:
Now we will be stuck with the same "bass heavy" and "bass light" monikers that we had to deal with with the Sony R-10.

...and K1000 and HD800 and K340... Mid-production adjustments to the tonal balance happen occasionally.

I can understand Audeze not wanting to redesignate the LCD-2 - it's got a lot of positive name recognition and the current driver change probably seems like just another incremental alteration to a product that's been getting nearly-continuous tweaks since it was introduced.

It sounds like this time, though, they should at least give it a Mk II designation or something similar, if nothing else to maybe indicate that the product's settling down and it's out of its public beta phase, maybe.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #13,017 of 18,459
I am still delighted with mine so wont be upgrading, I would like a leather headband though. I will wait till they are available in England, the shipping, when calculated came in at $44, add another $20 for income tax and the original $100 for them seems a bit far away.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #13,018 of 18,459
Well, whatever model of driver I end up having, new or old all that matters is what happens every time I listen to my pair. Absolute enjoyment and absorption in the music. My set are going nowhere!

I do think though some other designation would have been helpful as they do say the changes are significant. Remember as well we are talking bespoke audio here. Not mass produced like Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer or smaller but none the less higher volumes like Westone or JH. In my experience of the bespoke world, clothng etc constant development is one of the benefits of smaller production, not a negative.

Also, with the upgrade fever, luckily me and my wallet are old enough now to know it ain't all it's cracked up to be! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back