Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 3, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #13,021 of 18,459
Just to check, is the LCD-2 serial number found on the frequency response chart that comes with the LCD-2?

Yes, or on, in my case, the left hand plastic block as well.

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #13,022 of 18,459
     Quote:
Yes, or on, in my case, the left hand plastic block as well.

Thanks.

The serial number of the pair I have is 5698630 - any thoughts whether that's the old or new version?

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #13,023 of 18,459
I purchased mine a month-and-a-half ago and I find the sound signature & presentation perfect for me.  I read tons of impressions of the LCD-2 for over a year before making my purchase and after 6 weeks or so I'm confident that I won't be putting mine up on the FS forums anytime soon, if ever.

However, I'm a little disappointed that there won't be a name change.  Even the Audez'e blog post states that there is a "substantial improvement in sound quality" and at the same time makes sure we understand that that statement is not an exaggeration.  This will definitely create some uncertainty in the used market, with people preferring one or the other having to contact Audez'e to confirm that a specific serial number has a specific revision of the driver.

Which brings up another interesting point.  When the LCD-2 experienced driver failures this past month or two, Audez'e said they couldn't really tell people whether their headphone was part of the bad batch based on serial number.  There was a good explanation for this on their blog, I believe, but I'm curious as to how they can be so sure now which ones have the new driver based on serial number alone, especially since my serial number is still higher than some of the newer ones (S/N: 569....), which could mean that the number assignment is random within a specific range.  A simple explanation could be that they just started to keep track of things better once they found out about the driver failures and implemented the revised drivers.

Regardless, I really like what Audez'e is doing overall when it comes to continuously improving their product, and if a revision like this doesn't warrant a new name (not even a "MK II"), I can't wait to see/hear what they do with the LCD-3!

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #13,024 of 18,459
You should contact Audez'e regarding that, since I don't think the S/N increases with date of manufacture.

When did you purchase yours?  I got mine in mid-May and my S/N is 5698632.

Quote:
     Quote:

Thanks.

The serial number of the pair I have is 5698630 - any thoughts whether that's the old or new version?

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #13,025 of 18,459
Quote:
You should contact Audez'e regarding that, since I don't think the S/N increases with date of manufacture.

I have a loaner pair that I received on Thursday. 

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #13,026 of 18,459

I was looking at the owners roll call last night and it seems the 569's are the older ones (my first pair started with that.) and the recent ones seem to be 531

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #13,027 of 18,459
I agree that a new driver is a significant change and deserves its own model designation.  I disagree, however, that Audeze owes anything to prior LCD2 owners except the one-month return policy and excellent customer service.  

Another example:  I bought a B&W Zeppelin just three months before the Zeppelin Air was released. B&W provided no information or hints that they were working on this improved model. The Zeppelin Air sports more advanced DSP, DAC, amps, and wireless streaming connectivity...for the same $600 price I paid for the "older" model.  This newer model I have not yet heard does not make me enjoy my Zeppelin any less.  

As consumers, we research the products we're interested in buying and make our decision to buy at that price:feature set and at that point in time (or not).  I bought the LCD2 three months ago and love it.  I have bilateral tinnitus and must EQ the higher freqs to suit my ears.  A driver with improved upper range could be a "game changer" for me.  Would I have waited 3 months for the newer driver had I known it was coming?   Of course!   I don't enjoy my LCD2's any less, though. 

I don't understand anyone who thinks Audeze owes them free cable, pads, headband, and/or driver upgrades whenever they are released.  I am impressed that Audeze has continually invested in R&D to improve their products but the price of their headphone has not increased.  

If reviews describe significant SQ improvements in the upper range, I may decide to buy the new and improved model; or something else; or wait for the LCD3. Until then, I will continue to thoroughly enjoy my LCD2 "Classic".

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #13,028 of 18,459
     Quote:
I was looking at the owners roll call last night and it seems the 569's are the older ones (my first pair started with that.) and the recent ones seem to be 531

Thanks for that. :)

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #13,029 of 18,459

Quote:
I agree that a new driver is a significant change and deserves its own model designation.  I disagree, however, that Audeze owes anything to prior LCD2 owners except the one-month return policy and excellent customer service.  

Another example:  I bought a B&W Zeppelin just three months before the Zeppelin Air was released. B&W provided no information or hints that they were working on this improved model. The Zeppelin Air sports more advanced DSP, DAC, amps, and wireless streaming connectivity...for the same $600 price I paid for the "older" model.  This newer model I have not yet heard does not make me enjoy my Zeppelin any less.  

As consumers, we research the products we're interested in buying and make our decision to buy at that price:feature set and at that point in time (or not).  I bought the LCD2 three months ago and love it.  I have bilateral tinnitus and must EQ the higher freqs to suit my ears.  A driver with improved upper range could be a "game changer" for me.  Would I have waited 3 months for the newer driver had I known it was coming?   Of course!   I don't enjoy my LCD2's any less, though. 

I don't understand anyone who thinks Audeze owes them free cable, pads, headband, and/or driver upgrades whenever they are released.  I am impressed that Audeze has continually invested in R&D to improve their products but the price of their headphone has not increased.  

If reviews describe significant SQ improvements in the upper range, I may decide to buy the new and improved model; or something else; or wait for the LCD3. Until then, I will continue to thoroughly enjoy my LCD2 "Classic".

Great post.

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #13,031 of 18,459

Quote:
Maybe your recent pair is not recent enough. The measurements show a clear difference.

I'm sure you're right.  My recent pair was, I think, May production.

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #13,032 of 18,459
Hello,
I have had my LCD2's for a week now and the serial number is 5312638. I sent a email to Audeze and Sankar replied very quickly and told me that I have the new drivers.
The leather pads are the new ones as well.
They fit over my ears, average size head, and seal very nicely.
They are heavy, but I can listen for long periods and never feel like I want to take them off.
I find I dont want to stop listening and re-discovering the nuances in my music collection.

I had a set of AKG702's and after  two days sold them.

They are indeed just a wonderful, musical, sounding set of headphones.

Amping with a DIY Cavalli SOHAii tube amp, and with a Schitt ASGARD. and a AVA Insight+ Pre-Amp.

Alex

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #13,035 of 18,459
Odd that they don't want to call this a new headphone. Since the originals they have changed the pads, grills, cable, headband blocks, wood, and now drivers. Almost nothing from the original cans remain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back