Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 8, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #13,756 of 18,459

Quote:
I just purchased a LCD-2 on the FS to just check out what the fuss was all about only to find out that there is Rev.2.  Now I'm already thinking of Rev. 2.

My questions are:
1. I know the LCD-2 Rev.2 has better treble extension compared to Rev. 1 but when you compare the LCD-2 Rev. 2 to other headphones like AKG K70X or HD800, are they still considered on the dark side?   I mean it's all relative so could someone who has the Rev.2 comment.
2. Secondly, could you take the LCD-2 Rev.1 and add some treble by way of EQ and have similar treble extension to Rev.2?

thanks

At this point no long standing, well established head-fiers have heard the Rev. 2 yet (no offense to first responders) so impressions are scarce.  There is apparently faster response and greater detail across the spectrum with Rev. 2, something EQ cannot accomplish.

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #13,757 of 18,459
Well I had some unbelievable bad luck. Night of happy LCD-2 listening, went for a break, came back, I put them on and the Right Channel was dead. OK, let's troubleshoot, I put on my PS1000's and the Left Channel was dead! Put in a 3rd pair of phones and both channels OK. This was so weird it was hard to believe it wasn't the amp or some other component in the signal chain.

Thank heavens I have at least 3 other phones I love (though nowhere near as much as these two. You can tell your significant others this is the reason you really need to keep at least 4 or 5 high-end headphones on hand at all times, it's just prudent.

Next day after plugging them both into several sources, and trying other phones in the Lyr Amp, and sure enough it's the phones. The Grado Left Channel would actually come back for a few seconds from time to time. They probably have a similar amount of hours on them, and being well under a year old I suppose within that window where you just have to accept a certain fault rate. 

Still waiting to hear back from Grado, but must give credit to Sankar at Audeze due credit - literally within minutes he replied with my RMA. He said "just send the phones, not the accessories, and we'll replace them." Not sure if he means they'll just replace the driver or send a whole new set, but I'd be happy either way. Since I also had just ordered the new leather headband that same night, I suppose I'll have one for sale if they indeed replace the whole set. Audeze is indeed a great company.

I've learned to take this stuff in stride, after the night my laptop fell off a shelf and hit my other laptop on the way down, cracking both screens. Deja vu! 

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #13,758 of 18,459
Well I had some unbelievable bad luck. Night of happy LCD-2 listening, went for a break, came back, I put them on and the Right Channel was dead. OK, let's troubleshoot, I put on my PS1000's and the Left Channel was dead! Put in a 3rd pair of phones and both channels OK. This was so weird it was hard to believe it wasn't the amp or some other component in the signal chain.

Thank heavens I have at least 3 other phones I love (though nowhere near as much as these two. You can tell your significant others this is the reason you really need to keep at least 4 or 5 high-end headphones on hand at all times, it's just prudent.

Next day after plugging them both into several sources, and trying other phones in the Lyr Amp, and sure enough it's the phones. The Grado Left Channel would actually come back for a few seconds from time to time. They probably have a similar amount of hours on them, and being well under a year old I suppose within that window where you just have to accept a certain fault rate. 

Still waiting to hear back from Grado, but must give credit to Sankar at Audeze due credit - literally within minutes he replied with my RMA. He said "just send the phones, not the accessories, and we'll replace them." Not sure if he means they'll just replace the driver or send a whole new set, but I'd be happy either way. Since I also had just ordered the new leather headband that same night, I suppose I'll have one for sale if they indeed replace the whole set. Audeze is indeed a great company.

I've learned to take this stuff in stride, after the night my laptop fell off a shelf and hit my other laptop on the way down, cracking both screens. Deja vu! 

I think someone else had an issue with the LCD and the ps1000. Audeze seemed to take care of the issue without hassle.

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #13,759 of 18,459

They will probably send you the v2 with foam band seeing as you have ordered the leather. You may want to get back in touch and explain and they will then send you a leather band version and you could send the leather band you ordered back. I know they are great to deal with.
When I sent mine back they replaced the whole headphone not just the drivers.

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #13,760 of 18,459

Quote:

What the? Didn't this just happen to someone else a few weeks ago?

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #13,762 of 18,459
Yep, Rimiclaw on the "customer service" thread. I was actually very skeptical of him/her until it happened to me. Karma's a b*tch! :) There has been talk of Audeze driver failures on here, it's a new company, home grown tech, and so it's reasonable to expect some teething pains. I'm not so concerned about shipping costs & such as s/he is. But basically, I agree, that Audeze service goes above & beyond. And the phones are absolutely a ridiculous bargain considering what you get for your $1000 bucks. And they have been responsive beyond belief, in every instance I've dealt with them.

But, honestly, for a $1700 price tag and DECADES in business, I would not expect to get a bad phone from Grado. Everyone with a PS1000 knows we pay a premium in the higher end of the line, but if you love that sound, you go with it. The fact that the Grado fault is somewhat intermittent makes me think of cold-solder, or some other elementary problem in manufacturing. They should really have all that figured out before they charge a premium for their products. I do think Grado is an American treasure as a company, and I'm sure it'll get sorted out. But I reluctantly admit there is some truth to memes that their QC is haphazard, and their attitude toward customers may be a bit haughty, resting on laurels so to speak. Every other Grado product I've bought from Grado, years of phono cartridges, many, many, phones, have been great and reliable. When you pay, oh what, $300 to $700 more than it's worth for a product like the PS1000, you should get perfection in QC, and you should expect those extra bucks back in service.

There's another company, beginning with the letter "A" that is currently dissing its most professional, evangelical, and influential customers in favor of the consumer market. Time will tell how that works out.

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #13,763 of 18,459
Jul 9, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #13,766 of 18,459
I just purchased a LCD-2 on the FS to just check out what the fuss was all about only to find out that there is Rev.2.  Now I'm already thinking of Rev. 2.

My questions are:
1. I know the LCD-2 Rev.2 has better treble extension compared to Rev. 1 but when you compare the LCD-2 Rev. 2 to other headphones like AKG K70X or HD800, are they still considered on the dark side?   I mean it's all relative so could someone who has the Rev.2 comment.
2. Secondly, could you take the LCD-2 Rev.1 and add some treble by way of EQ and have similar treble extension to Rev.2?

thanks

If the treble response of the LCD2 reaches the K70X/HD800 level, it'll lose a lot of fans.
The treble response in LCD2 is as natural as it is. Why get a LCD2 and EQ the treble upwards, then you might as well get a Hifiman or K70X/HD800.

LCD2 has the most natural treble response ever. It is only dark when you compare to the other headphones that are, IMHO, a little excess of treble to provide listener a greater/ artificial sense of space and details.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #13,767 of 18,459

Quote:
If the treble response of the LCD2 reaches the K70X/HD800 level, it'll lose a lot of fans.
The treble response in LCD2 is as natural as it is. Why get a LCD2 and EQ the treble upwards, then you might as well get a Hifiman or K70X/HD800.

LCD2 has the most natural treble response ever. It is only dark when you compare to the other headphones that are, IMHO, a little excess of treble to provide listener a greater/ artificial sense of space and details.

Do you mean the original LCD2? Because the original's treble is definitely not natural/realistic imo. Cymbals are not supposed to sound like that. I do agree that boosting the treble TOO much would be stupid though, there are other cans around for that.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #13,768 of 18,459

Quote:
Do you mean the original LCD2? Because the original's treble is definitely not natural/realistic imo. Cymbals are not supposed to sound like that.

X2

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #13,769 of 18,459

Quote:

Quote:
Do you mean the original LCD2? Because the original's treble is definitely not natural/realistic imo. Cymbals are not supposed to sound like that. I do agree that boosting the treble TOO much would be stupid though, there are other cans around for that.

Lets put an end to all the "extra treble" speculation.

It's not extra treble. it's faster treble response, and its natural not artificial.  It's not boosted treble amplification in the r.2.  Although I hate to refer to the graph, the graph of the r.2 clearly shows there is NO boosted treble difference from the r.1 version. The graphs are virtually the same. It is still the same so called "shelved" reponse.   It is extension in frequency boundaries and improved speed.  That is not translating to any unnatural or artificial treble artifacts or boosting. The extension and speed is not glare or harshness.  The extra speed translates to more "air" not boosted treble.   The improved speed does not translate into an analytical sound either.  It's still a smooth LCD presentation.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #13,770 of 18,459
Quote:

Lets put an end to all the "extra treble" speculation.

It's not extra treble. it's faster treble response, and its natural not artificial.  It's not boosted treble amplification in the r.2.  Although I hate to refer to the graph, the graph of the r.2 clearly shows there is NO boosted treble difference from the r.1 version. The graphs are virtually the same. It is still the same so called "shelved" reponse.   It is extension in frequency boundaries and improved speed.  That is not translating to any unnatural or artificial treble artifacts or boosting. The extension and speed is not glare or harshness.  The extra speed translates to more "air" not boosted treble.   The improved speed does not translate into an analytical sound either.  It's still a smooth LCD presentation.

Does that mean my impression wasn't that far off the mark?  I just didn't have a real good way to describe it.
And do you detect the faster bass response as well?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back