Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #13,816 of 18,459
Another long-time lurker here :wink:

@Bluezzy: I am also using a DACmini with my LCD 2.2. How does the output from the Lyr compare with the direct output from the DACmini?

Quote:
HI All,

I have been lurking around this forum for a while. I got the new rev 2s today and after a brief A/B with the old rev 1s.....Im sending the rev 1s back for an upgrade.

For those who expected HD 800 type treble and simblance from the rev 2. No its not like that at all. Its still got the nice LCD sound.

The way I would describe it is like a thin veil was lifted from the mids and highs with an with added crispness. Listening to Eva Cassidy and her guitar, it seemed like her vocals moved forward slightly and the guitar work seemed tighter. The bass too got a tad tighter. 

As others have mentioned....the word better focus best describes the new sound. 

I used a centrance dacmini out to a Lyr. 

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #13,820 of 18,459
Although this is my first post, I have been a Head-Fi member since February 2007. As I said, long-time lurker ...

Quote:
Wow, a lot of first posters here lately.  Welcome to Head-Fi!  Sorry about your wallet!

-HK sends

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #13,821 of 18,459
Quote:
Although this is my first post, I have been a Head-Fi member since February 2007. As I said, long-time lurker ...

I did the same thing, just maybe not as long as you. 
wink_face.gif

But that doesn't matter...your name and legacy are indelibly etched into the annals of Head-Fi lore now.  Anything you post can (and often is) used against you!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Use your keyboard wisely, like me...(yeah, RIGHT!)
tongue.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #13,823 of 18,459
Jul 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #13,824 of 18,459
Quote:
That treble attenuates faster than bass is exactly why I feel most phones are way too bright. They provide the balance one would get if sitting in the middle of an orchestra, but I never do that and I daresay few others do either.

As for implying others are hearing wrong, maybe I am, but it's an impression gained from times well before my hearing became quite so "modest". Actually, to be accurate, I don't think others hear wrong; I just think their goals are different, partly because their musical tastes are different. I can well understand that someone into rap or heavy metal doesn't have accuracy as a high priority when bright is so much more exciting. I guess if I were to be really honest, the real mystery to me is why people have those musical tastes in the first place, but that isn't a mystery likely to be solved anytime soon.  
rolleyes.gif

It's taking it a little far to say "sitting in the middle of an orchestra."  Do a google image search on 'orchestra recordings' and check out stereo mike placement.  It certainly isn't in the middle of the orchestra nor 20 rows out in the theater, it's high in the air and about 5 feet in front.  

A live performance isn't the end-all reference point it's made out to be.  If anything, logic would dictate that a musician's intent is closest captured in a recording.  Granted that the LCD-2s have excellent realism and timbre, but the highs are a little recessed as has been noted by so many seasoned listeners, there's really no arguing it.  As someone else said "a cymbal isn't supposed to sound like that."  

No disrespect pp312, but a few statistical outliers finding the LCD2s bright doesn't change this, right?  I do agree with you though that the K701s are relatively bright, so we're not all too far off in opinion.  And then of course, we're nit picking over subtleties.  The R1s did come excruciatingly close to an ideal tonal balance.  

Oh, and I can relate to your mystery at times, especially with rap and pop.  No offense to Tupac in Thugs Mansion, which is in the EU apparently.  France, right?

tongue.gif

[corny hamster joke here]

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #13,827 of 18,459
Quote:
Not everybody likes classical/orchestral and inhaling their own farts.
biggrin.gif

True, but classical/orchestral music is used in a lot of evaluations because it is a known quantity with a variety of different instruments with unique signatures combined in a way, and using a genre of music, that many people are familiar with.
It allows a baseline comparison for positioning, timbre, attack, and all the other arcane sound characteristics that a reviewer can use to evaluate things like playback equipment (i.e. headphones, DACs, etc.).

I listen to mostly rock and electronic music, but when I want to critically listen to the detail in a new set of headphones, I reach for the orchestral music.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

P.S. ...would you rather inhale someone else's? 
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #13,828 of 18,459
I'm not criticising classical music, it's just not my cup of tea. However, I don't look down at people who do enjoy it or make comments like "it's a mystery how anyone someone can have that musical taste".

pp312 was just reinforcing the stereotype of classical enthusiasts being pretentious fart sniffers.
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back