Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #13,831 of 18,459
Quote:
I'm not criticising classical music, it's just not my cup of tea. However, I don't look down at people who do enjoy it or make comments like "it's a mystery how anyone someone can have that musical taste".

pp312 was just reinforcing the stereotype of classical enthusiasts being pretentious fart sniffers.
popcorn.gif

Even if you were, it's fine.  Not everyone has to like classical.  I understand your feelings though...I was raised in an area of the U.S. where they liked both types of music: Country AND Western. 
tongue.gif

But I can't say bad things about classical music:

...somebody might be upset...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #13,835 of 18,459
Jul 9, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #13,836 of 18,459
I come back to this thread, see another thirty four posts and think great, they guys with the newer driver are piling on the reviews but what do I see instead?? Pages and pages of Animal planet!! This confirms it, we LCD owners are a rare breed, a rare and crazy breed :D

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #13,839 of 18,459
Yes. I think it's going to be a dark sibling (don't anyone even mention sibilance again or you're gonna hear us rolling up our sleeves. There is NO sibilance in LCD-2, any rev. 
cool.gif
).
My guess is a new model, not a replacement rev. It's going to be essentially their version of the hd650, with intentionally recessed highs, more so than rev1 or earlier. Why? Because they've now addressed the customer base that wants treble extension. They now have a headphone that will probably widen their customer base. Now the next logical step (my logic, not actual logic) is to address the customers that are in fear for their sanity over extended treble. A similar approach as with Sennheiser HD650/800, BUT not a different class like with Senn.  It would be an equal to LCD-2 in price and quality. Also, they already know how to make that kind of driver and can spend some R&D time making it noticeably darker instead of worrying about losing extension. That's already covered. After that, I'll let you treble junkies speculate on that 
atsmile.gif

Quote:
So, since we are waiting on more impressions, any speculation on the LCD-3s?

-HK sends

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #13,840 of 18,459

Quote:
If it moves me I listen to it.  I don't care what genre its from.  Personally I've never understood people who listen to a more narrow selection of music.  

People who listen to a narrow selection of music are just the same as people with really strong "principles", It's just laziness because having an open mind is more difficult than dismissing something upon sight.

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #13,841 of 18,459
Welcome newbies - Feel free to use me as an example of what not to do.
biggrin.gif
 This forum, and more especially this thread, operates with a slightly higher level of integrity than the usual forum fare. I'm still finding and drowning those teenage headfi hamster assassins that they sent to my house 
eek.gif

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #13,843 of 18,459

Quote:
HI All,

I have been lurking around this forum for a while. I got the new rev 2s today and after a brief A/B with the old rev 1s.....Im sending the rev 1s back for an upgrade.

For those who expected HD 800 type treble and simblance from the rev 2. No its not like that at all. Its still got the nice LCD sound.

The way I would describe it is like a thin veil was lifted from the mids and highs with an with added crispness. Listening to Eva Cassidy and her guitar, it seemed like her vocals moved forward slightly and the guitar work seemed tighter. The bass too got a tad tighter. 

As others have mentioned....the word better focus best describes the new sound. 

I used a centrance dacmini out to a Lyr. 

So did the Rev 1 that you sent back for an upgrade arrive in June, or did you work out a paid upgrade with Audeze or...?

Quote:
Welcome, and thanks for the information. Similar to HKs findings. WA mentioned in the LCD-2 music thread that the rev 2's have brought the magic back (as you can achieve with a quality hifi/speaker set-up),  would imagine he'll be keeping them also. Looking forward to his write up!

On these findings so far, as much as I love rev 1s, I'll be getting them exchanged for the Rev 2s.

Same question...

Quote:
Please, can someone explain to me the hamster!  Its going over my head and I cannot compute What hamsters have in relation to this particular headphone.

confused.gif

When this thread reaches 1,000 pages Audeze's master plan to take over the world with their hamster army will reach fruition, so hold onto your hat
eek.gif

Quote:
Not yet...Patience.  I wanna let it burn in before doing any critical assessments.  Suffice it to say that I've been listening 'non-critically' for HOURS since it arrived on Thursday afternoon.  The smile is permanently glued onto my face.

popcorn.gif

Quote:
If it wasn't for classical music you wouldn't have your flavor of music. Everything is derived from the masters. So inhale some F's

Non-western music has nothing to do with the dead white European guys.

Quote:
beerchug.gif
   Good music is good music.

Agreed, "anything that doesn't suck" is fine with me
o2smile.gif

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #13,844 of 18,459
I just fell off my chair laughing. Thanks for that!

Quote:
Even if you were, it's fine.  Not everyone has to like classical.  I understand your feelings though...I was raised in an area of the U.S. where they liked both types of music: Country AND Western. 
tongue.gif

But I can't say bad things about classical music:

...somebody might be upset...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #13,845 of 18,459

Quote:
People who listen to a narrow selection of music are just the same as people with really strong "principles", It's just laziness because having an open mind is more difficult than dismissing something upon sight.

I read that it has a lot to do with the neural pathways in the brain and how and when they are formed.  These pathways can determine or predetermine ones experience good or bad ones preference in music selection.  Some of these pathways are discovered and used and some never are.   The first time I heard John Coltrane I had a maniacal epiphany, I felt as if my brain lit up with neural activity and it was the best sound I'd ever heard, but for some people his music is just a jumble of confusing sounds that make them run in another direction.

So I'm not down on anyone who restricts their musical genre intake but I do find it disconcerting to imply one genre is unworthy over another.  New musical discovery is probably my most sought after pleasure.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back