Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 15, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #14,671 of 18,459

Quote:
Anyone finding the Rev2 fatiguing? Mine have been playing (burning?) for about four hours, but the upper-mid/treble reminds me immediately of the Grado 325... harsh. Leading edges of notes have a stabbing hardness about them. Difficult to listen to some music (well recorded, I thought) for more than a few minutes.

Instead of always the volume up as with the Rev1, I'm reaching to turn it down.

I'm hoping this might tone down over time - as it seemed to with the HE6.

Early days though. Sorry, I'm a glass half empty kind of guy :)... will bring a more balanced report later perhaps.

Other than that, the Rev 2 is certainly clearer and tighter. But if it remains fatiguing for me, it will have to go.

What are you using for source?  amp?

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #14,673 of 18,459

Quote:

Edit: Disappointed there are some imperfections on the wood. There are some rough areas and slight dents (possibly caused by the cable tie) and a very noticeable chip in the wood under the R in PLANAR on the left cup. These were brand new direct from Audeze.
frown.gif

Can any one comment on this? Were my expectations of the finish too high, and am I merely knitpicking imperfections commonly found on these cans (other than the chip)?

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #14,674 of 18,459

Quote:

Can any one comment on this? Were my expectations of the finish too high, and am I merely knitpicking imperfections commonly found on these cans (other than the chip)?

Are you asking if anyone has similar imperfections in the wood cups?  My pair are from one of the first batches, and there's definitely at least one rough spot that I can think of that has to do with the grain of the wood, but I don't notice it most of the time unless I'm cleaning the cups or staring right at it.

I don't do that by the way...stare right at the rough spot on the wood, I mean. 
tongue_smile.gif

EDIT - I think I misread your question a little.  I do agree with kwkarth if the imperfections do exceed what you would find tolerable, contact them.  I'm OK with the rough spot on my wood cups, but I had my grill replaced because of scratches on it.

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #14,675 of 18,459

Quote:

No, I do not think your expectations are too high.  You have a right to expect a product without cosmetic or audible flaws or defects.  I would contact Audeze and ask to have them replaced.

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #14,677 of 18,459

Quote:
Mine arrived perfect.  No dents, rough spots, chips or scratches.  For that kind of money they should be perfect.  I'd ship'em back!

From Australia?
frown.gif
Cosmetic flaws don't usually bother me but I expected better. Another flaw is the right metal protrusion for the cable socket looks like it's about to slide out of the wood housing, although it is firmly in place. I'll take pics and email Audeze. Thanks for the responses.

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #14,678 of 18,459
Anyone finding the Rev2 fatiguing? Mine have been playing (burning?) for about four hours, but the upper-mid/treble reminds me immediately of the Grado 325... harsh. Leading edges of notes have a stabbing hardness about them. Difficult to listen to some music (well recorded, I thought) for more than a few minutes.

Early days though. Sorry, I'm a glass half empty kind of guy :)... will bring a more balanced report later perhaps.

Other than that, the Rev 2 is certainly clearer and tighter. But if it remains fatiguing for me, it will have to go.

I found the LCD-2s barely changed with burn-in...if any at all really. The last thing I'd want is treble that's SR325ish....I've said it before, I wouldn't add/change/remove anything from my v1 LCD-2s....very happy with them just as they are...well except for getting my Silver Dragon cable re-terminated from SE to balanced.

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #14,679 of 18,459
I found it that way on certain songs too. Try to use a tube amp. I prefer rev.2 for acoustic. and also male singing vocals.. So female vocal and aggressive hip hop/rock vocals I prefer warmer, more creamy sound of rev.1. At the same volume rev.1 sounds a bit louder than rev.2.

Quote:

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #14,680 of 18,459
Hi Kevin,

I'm using a Metric Halo transport into a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1, into a Violectric V200.

Nothing bright about this setup. I own the DAC-2 (very similar to the DAC-1) and it is a bang on neutral amp with great dynamics with zero addition to the treble. The V200 is what I would classify as a slightly on the dark/warm side of neutral (though still very neutral) amp.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #14,681 of 18,459

Quote:

At least you received a cable and oil kit with yours.

I dont find the rev2 bright in any way. They still have the least amount of high treble of all the cans I have tested. I also dont find them fatiguing at all. They dont have any sibilance that I hear unless it is in the music. If they are fatiguing, I would think it is something in your chain more than the can. The rev2 will show the flaws in your setup. If you can, go to a meet or meet up with someone that has some different equipment you can try in your chain. Of course, some people might not be use to or tolerant of the higher clarity, detail, and extension. Some people dont like detail as they think it takes away from the musicality. If you are use to more warm or mushy sound, detail can be fatiguing.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #14,682 of 18,459
Yes, not a harsh element in the chain. I have the Rev2 burning in today while I'm out; hopefully the rough edges will be knocked off.

Quote:
Nothing bright about this setup. I own the DAC-2 (very similar to the DAC-1) and it is a bang on neutral amp with great dynamics with zero addition to the treble. The V200 is what I would classify as a slightly on the dark/warm side of neutral (though still very neutral) amp.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #14,683 of 18,459

Quote:
Yes, not a harsh element in the chain. I have the Rev2 burning in today while I'm out; hopefully the rough edges will be knocked off.

Seems like it almost has to be in the material you're listening to, or the cans are defective.  There's not a harsh bone in their body.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #14,684 of 18,459

Good luck...although as I mentioned the v.1s didn't change in any recognizable way with burn-in. As well, don't you have the v.1 to contrast them with on your setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back