Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 18, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #14,956 of 18,459
Quote:
I have to ask though, why the pic with her biting her nails? There's so many out there that seem to be more flattering:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Emma+Watson&hl=en&prmd=ivnsuol&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3tQjToTvNfTKiAL5z6SpAw&ved=0CGgQsAQ&biw=1684&bih=1090

So very true! 
biggrin.gif

-HK sends

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #14,957 of 18,459
I concur with the other posts asking people to stay on topic. I wouldn't mind on another deserted thread, but this one is different - a little too congestionned to allow for large diggressions IMHO. Anyway, thanks to all those who posted their impressions on Rev.2 - this is very helpful.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #14,959 of 18,459

Quote:
Sorry, our minds tend to wander when we've been attached to this thread for so long... 
wink_face.gif

So, have you decided which revision you'd consider?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Short answer (not to pollute the thread) : Rev.2, as I'd try to balance the LCD-2 natural ability for mainstream music by amping them to improve their classical music abilities.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #14,960 of 18,459
Sounds reasonable!  I was just listening to The Moody Blues' "Days of Future Past" that features the London Festival Orchestra and it sounded wonderful with my Cowon J3 running into a Schiit Lyr amp.
The r.2s sounded incredible!  And my leather headband finally broke in so was very comfortable.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #14,962 of 18,459
Quote:
It's always been my dream to be able to remaster all the Moody Blues albums...

The Moody Blues and ELO are my favorite rock groups, but I like many more and other kinds of music as well...
I just seem to come back to these guys when I need to relax and just ponder life, the universe, and everything. 
smile.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #14,963 of 18,459
Listened to some SHM SACDs yesterday. Although not as resolving as the Stax, Sarah Vaughan sounds fantastic on the LCD2.

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #14,964 of 18,459
I really wish someone would get the Moody Blues stuff and do it justice, if it is on the tapes to be had. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #14,965 of 18,459
Pads on LCD2s are hand-made, resulting in dysymetries and irregularities, but :

Classic : the foam inside the pad was hand cutted
Rev1  : the foam is industrially cutted for more precision and consistence, couture is still handmade

Tyll posted a pic comparing the two pads, despite the "classic" pads looking thinner, in fact they make the same angle

Then there is two groups of people, the ones who believe they noticed a sound change between their old version and the rev1 and the ones who don't...I cannot say exactly the pourcentages but i believe the latter group is more ponderous
ph34r.gif

If the pads don't make a change (since the angle is the same) there is no point making a distinction classic/rev1.
To add a little spice, the grill changed too, and that could have affect the sound (try covering one grill with your hand and you'll notice dramatical sonic channge)

On REV1/REV2 : after reading all the posts, i decided to keep my rev1 :

-creamy vocals oh yeah, they are 'in my head' it's involving
-i discovered i really hate brightness, i tried many times to eq the 2s adding a little bit high frequencies, it always translated in a more fatiguing sound. The ability for a headphone to be non-fatiguing is something i under-estimated before. I can listen rev1 for hours, even cranking up the volume, without having those ear-piercing highs that i hate so much. I understand rev2 does not add brightness for some, but i really don't wanna take the risk since i already find rev1 "perfect" for me.
-I'm not so fond of details as i thought i was. Most of the records i own have a lot of flaws (and i believe that is like >95% recordings have really significant artefacts/popping sounds,etc...) and i'm not sure i want to take all the defects of the record in my face, being able to listen only to the best audiophile quality recordings...
-last night for the first time i cried listening to my headphones...not because of the music, but because of the sound, the way it was portrayed by the LCD2...i think i turned an audiophile last night...
-maybe the rev1 has become somewhat 'unique' in the way they portray the sound (especially on vocals)
-remember i'm not saying that rev2 does not present the qualities i stated, i just don't wanna take the risk of losing them :wink:

On comfort : yes the LCD2 is heavy, but it is the most comfortable headphones i own (DT880, K701, HD650). With every other headphones, i'll find that they'll hurt somewhere around my head in less than an hour whereas i can wear the LCD2 as long as i want.

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #14,967 of 18,459

Quote:
For those who've owned both the leather and fabric headband LCD-2s, which of the two is lighter? Is the difference in weight noticeable?

The leather doesn't add substantial weight, but somehow the LCD-2 feel lighter with the fabric headband.

I'm comparing rev1 (fabric) with rev2 (leather), just like Tupac, I experience a significant relief when going from the leather to fabric. It seems with the fabric the weight is distributed better and clampage is less tight.

As for sound, I'm in real doubt which one to keep here.

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #14,969 of 18,459
^ no you're completely right, I just used the word of former poster, didn't think about it (English's not the main language). It's metal and foam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back