Audeze LCD-4
Feb 22, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #6,481 of 11,995
My comment was really directed to everyone that buys an LCD-4 headphone and wants to run it off a cheap amp, or they say that it sounds plenty loud on my iPhone and so it must be powerful enough.

I get that. I also think turning let’s say a $3,000 headphone into a $6,000 set up for most is unreachable. The cans themselves are a huge stretch for me - and I would assume most. I merely want bang for the buck on the amplification side since if I’m being honest I’ve always found my money better spent on transducers than amps and dacs.

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #6,483 of 11,995
I just bought the LCD-4 after trying the Utopias. I have the Wells Audio Milo driving them. It's a great combo, but the LCD-4s are definitely power hungry cans. I usually have the volume know between 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock for my other headphones, whereas the LCD-4s are creeping around the 3 o'clock mark.

As for the Utopias, they are great headphones but the whole issue with bass distortion/crackling once you reach a certain dB and with certain tracks is just unacceptable for me, and i tried two separate units! The LCD-4s are like a ''clearer'' LCD-3F for me, and the soundstage has definitely improved a lot. I was very surprised given they are made by Audeze lol They still retain the Audeze house sound that i love. I had a hard time giving up the LCD-3F, but the LCD-4 more than makes it up.

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #6,484 of 11,995
Oh, and has anyone had an issue with the mini XLR connector on the cable that Audeze supplies with the LCD-4? I have a hard time removing the left mini XLR connector from the headphone connector socket, whereas the right side is absolutely fine (especially when trying it in the left headphone connector socket as well). It's the intertwined black/silver cable. I have this impression that those Rean connectors are of poor quality :/

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #6,486 of 11,995
The LCD2 Classic has different plugs to the LCD4, cheaper alternatives.

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #6,487 of 11,995
The LCD2 Classic has different plugs to the LCD4, cheaper alternatives.

I stand corrected. I thought he said for some reason, the new braided cable that Audeze now uses with their other lcds. That cable has QC issues. I never had any issues with either the braided lcd-4 cable or the Blue one that came with my set.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #6,488 of 11,995
I just bought the LCD-4 after trying the Utopias. I have the Wells Audio Milo driving them. It's a great combo, but the LCD-4s are definitely power hungry cans. I usually have the volume know between 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock for my other headphones, whereas the LCD-4s are creeping around the 3 o'clock mark.

As for the Utopias, they are great headphones but the whole issue with bass distortion/crackling once you reach a certain dB and with certain tracks is just unacceptable for me, and i tried two separate units! The LCD-4s are like a ''clearer'' LCD-3F for me, and the soundstage has definitely improved a lot. I was very surprised given they are made by Audeze lol They still retain the Audeze house sound that i love. I had a hard time giving up the LCD-3F, but the LCD-4 more than makes it up.

I heard the Utopia off a nice Felix tube amp at Can-Jam and it did sound good, a nice match for it IMO. But it didn't float my boat, seemed a weaker pitch against the 009s. I have gone in a different direction since selling all my Stax gear, and agree, I love the Audeze sound if there is such a thing. I would say it isn't coloured as such (a sound) more smooth and balanced, is very resistant to sibilance on poor recordings. It is also to me, sounds closer to a really good big speaker rig which I also think is closer to Iive music or real instruments. Tastes come in here, but that is where I am.

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #6,489 of 11,995
I'd like to say that I love my new LCD-4's. I had to upgrade my amp (my old Lyr-2 was simply insufficient). They sound fantastic with my new Violectric v281. Was a long wait to get it, but I think I made the right decision on the amp AND the cans.

I also have taken a liking to Peace, the Windows headphone EQ app that piggy backs off of RoomEQ. I'm having an absolute blast making them as conservative or as bassy as I want them to be based on my mood. Unlike all my other cans, these don't start sounding strange/muffled if I want my skull to shake while listening to Kendrick's Black Panther soundtrack. I have arrived at my final headphone setup. These are likely to only ever be replaced when the cans die.

Also, the v281 offered the benefit of making my Kennerton Vali's not sound like trash. A better amp really can make a huge difference. With my Lyr 2, the Vali's sounded nasal and even shrikey at times. It wasn't a power issue as they are not especially hungry cans. But on the v281 all of those issues are gone and I went from planning to sell them and being generally frustrated with the purchase to being completely satisfied and keeping them. The HD650s and all the power hungry cans I have all sound like they were supposed to sound.

That being said, I wear my LCD-4's maybe 8 hours a day. No weight issues, no complaints about the sound quality or overall experience. And Audeze support has been great.

Glad to be part of this family. :gs1000smile:

Feb 24, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #6,490 of 11,995
I'd like to say that I love my new LCD-4's. I had to upgrade my amp (my old Lyr-2 was simply insufficient). They sound fantastic with my new Violectric v281. Was a long wait to get it, but I think I made the right decision on the amp AND the cans.

I also have taken a liking to Peace, the Windows headphone EQ app that piggy backs off of RoomEQ. I'm having an absolute blast making them as conservative or as bassy as I want them to be based on my mood. Unlike all my other cans, these don't start sounding strange/muffled if I want my skull to shake while listening to Kendrick's Black Panther soundtrack. I have arrived at my final headphone setup. These are likely to only ever be replaced when the cans die.

Also, the v281 offered the benefit of making my Kennerton Vali's not sound like trash. A better amp really can make a huge difference. With my Lyr 2, the Vali's sounded nasal and even shrikey at times. It wasn't a power issue as they are not especially hungry cans. But on the v281 all of those issues are gone and I went from planning to sell them and being generally frustrated with the purchase to being completely satisfied and keeping them. The HD650s and all the power hungry cans I have all sound like they were supposed to sound.

That being said, I wear my LCD-4's maybe 8 hours a day. No weight issues, no complaints about the sound quality or overall experience. And Audeze support has been great.

Welcome my friend. The LCD-4's are spectacular headphones.

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #6,491 of 11,995
I got some time with the lcd-4 this weekend.

they're really really good.

they're actually surprisingly a step away from audeze signature sound.
they're open yet still tight, they have good bass, they capture vocals great.

They are right there with my HE 1000v2. Id need more time to pick a favorite. Both prefer different types of music and instruments for each.

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #6,492 of 11,995
I was listening to LCD-MX4 today, having had a few free hours after yesterday I was at work until 4 AM...

Man, LCD- MX4 is too delightful for this world, the treble extension is just too good for this world, along with the sweet, rounded and deep bass, and that clarity / soundstage.

Back when I tested LCD-2, I really loved its naturality, but I wasn't as taken back by their soundstage, but with LCD-MX4, the soundstage is also amazingly large and instruments are really well separated, there is an amazing level of definition to everything that plays in a song, quite the amazing result from Audeze's engineering.

I now understand the true potential of a well-made planar headphone, and man, this is amazing.

BTW, LCD-MX4 is so portable, that driven with something as inexpensive as Opus #1s, I can take them with me when I'm on a road trip to buy some food and things like this, I am quite impressed, and while those are open back, I do enjoy listening to them while on-the-go :)

Will report with more impressions soon :)

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #6,493 of 11,995

Indeed, and welcome to the Audeze gang.

I to am a newbie or none experienced Planar users should we say. I came from a top flight Stax 009 and Carbon amp to the LCD2 Classic bought as a second HP to lug around end January. I loved that so much I went and bought the LCD4 new a few weeks later. I must say they grow on you like nothing else I have heard so far. IMO they need to be heard for a while, not a quick demo or show listen. They are NOT hifi or over the top presentation. I find you can forget the gear and enjoy the music with the Audeze presentation. No sibilance or cold treble quality, great mid-range body and presence, amazing bass and detail in that bass. In fact bass in digital can be a bit one note even on big speakers, but not on the LCD4s.

Coming from the 009s, I find I don't loose anything as regards details, it is all there, just placed in the mix, not as forward. They refuse to go into sibilance even on poor recording. I am also hearing masses of subtle details in the mid-range which I think is world class for a headphone. For example I was listening to some Mozart Piano Corcertos last night, and I could hear the hand of Vladimir Ashkenazy sliding over the keys, ever so subtle. I never noticed that before. And on EDM the gap between well and very good recorded tracks seems wider, the dynamics driving forward that takes me by surprise. The drivers seem hard wired and have tons of dynamics and control.

I can see why some complain about the Audeze or Planar treble. It is different to many top HPs, less excited or forward. But like too much sugar to much treble emphasis gets sickly and is less realistic to me. In a perfect world it would be nice to own various top flight HP systems, but I had to make a choice and go where I am enjoying it the most.

So, yes, very happy with the LCD4. I made the decision to go to Planars after hearing the LCD4 at Can-Jam, and felt it had potential. It seemed to to talk to me, and 6 months later I switched. IMO they sound like a big speaker as opposed to a detailed headphone, which seems to suit my taste.

Feb 24, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #6,494 of 11,995
Indeed, and welcome to the Audeze gang.

I to am a newbie or none experienced Planar users should we say. I came from a top flight Stax 009 and Carbon amp to the LCD2 Classic bought as a second HP to lug around end January. I loved that so much I went and bought the LCD4 new a few weeks later. I must say they grow on you like nothing else I have heard so far. IMO they need to be heard for a while, not a quick demo or show listen. They are NOT hifi or over the top presentation. I find you can forget the gear and enjoy the music with the Audeze presentation. No sibilance or cold treble quality, great mid-range body and presence, amazing bass and detail in that bass. In fact bass in digital can be a bit one note even on big speakers, but not on the LCD4s.

Coming from the 009s, I find I don't loose anything as regards details, it is all there, just placed in the mix, not as forward. They refuse to go into sibilance even on poor recording. I am also hearing masses of subtle details in the mid-range which I think is world class for a headphone. For example I was listening to some Mozart Piano Corcertos last night, and I could hear the hand of Vladimir Ashkenazy sliding over the keys, ever so subtle. I never noticed that before. And on EDM the gap between well and very good recorded tracks seems wider, the dynamics driving forward that takes me by surprise. The drivers seem hard wired and have tons of dynamics and control.

I can see why some complain about the Audeze or Planar treble. It is different to many top HPs, less excited or forward. But like too much sugar to much treble emphasis gets sickly and is less realistic to me. In a perfect world it would be nice to own various top flight HP systems, but I had to make a choice and go where I am enjoying it the most.

So, yes, very happy with the LCD4. I made the decision to go to Planars after hearing the LCD4 at Can-Jam, and felt it had potential. It seemed to to talk to me, and 6 months later I switched. IMO they sound like a big speaker as opposed to a detailed headphone, which seems to suit my taste.

I've always wanted to hear the Stax SR-009, especially if it was amped by the BHSE. Makes me wonder if i'd ever deviate towards the electrostat camp knowing i've been able to hear flagships like the Utopia and LCD-4. But the fact that the TOTL electrostat amps are ridiculously expensive and can only power electrostat headphones is what has made weary of ever purchasing an electrostat setup. It's interesting you switched from a TOTL electrostat setup to the LCD-4 :)

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #6,495 of 11,995
I've always wanted to hear the Stax SR-009, especially if it was amped by the BHSE. Makes me wonder if i'd ever deviate towards the electrostat camp knowing i've been able to hear flagships like the Utopia and LCD-4. But the fact that the TOTL electrostat amps are ridiculously expensive and can only power electrostat headphones is what has made weary of ever purchasing an electrostat setup. It's interesting you switched from a TOTL electrostat setup to the LCD-4 :)

Electrostatic amps are not crazy money IMO, but they can only power stats of course. You can get a DIY Kevin Gilmour amp built for more or less what a decent headphone amp would cost. The Head-Amp GSX MK2 is about 3K? The BHSE is about 6K but so is one of the better Woo Audio amps with tube output.

The Stax presentation is different IMO, it depends what floats your boat. IMO electrostatic speakers sound different as well, doing some things cones can't do, and struggling with other things such as power, dynamics and bass. I can relate to fans in both camps, but they are different to my ears. The Stax 007s are close-ish to the LCD4s in signature, but that is about it, everything else is a different presentation. YMMV and that is to my ears / opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back