Audeze LCD-X
Oct 5, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #18 of 12,748
popcorn.gif

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #22 of 12,748
  What do them mean by more neutral?  More bass and treble than LCD3?

The neutrality axis is: Bright/Cold, Neutral, Warm/Wet. When something sounds neutral it does not have any added coloration and it's thus reference sounding. Off the reference may be pleasing, but it often affects transparency, clarity and emotional engagement. For me that is detactable with both warmer and bright headphones. The latter though I dislike sooner than warmer headphones, because I am sensitive to sharp/hot treble. That is my personal bias.

More bass than it's called for usually pushes a headphone to the warmer side of the scale, and more treble makes it brighter. "More" of both of those, make a headphone just sub-par and none reference. 

At this level I would expect improvements at a lower level of analysis than just frequency response. Areas of improvement for Audeze are imo mainly soundstaging and imaging, both which were a bit crippled compared to other top dogs, and decays compared to top stats. I am hoping there's a new driver there too. Now all of this would make me VERY excited about the LCD-X. If it's just a side play on the LCD-3s, then I am much less interested as it still won't come close to top stats imho. The first reports are very promissing though. :)

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #23 of 12,748
I have the same question. I have listened to both 2 & 3 and prefer the 2. To my ears it is very neutral in that it sounds a lot like my high end home theater. What differences would this "neutral" phone have? I am interested in the XC as an upgrade from my Thunderpants.

Oct 6, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #24 of 12,748
I have the same question. I have listened to both 2 & 3 and prefer the 2. To my ears it is very neutral in that it sounds a lot like my high end home theater. What differences would this "neutral" phone have? I am interested in the XC as an upgrade from my Thunderpants.

An LCD 2 isn't neutral. An example of some neutral headphones would be the Sennheiser 598, Fostex T50 rp Paradox or the KEF M500. I discuss what neutrality is about in my Paradox video review below. The LCD 2 is a warm headphone with slightly elevated bass.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #25 of 12,748
I already think the LCD3  is the most neutral headphone I have heard, maybe just a hair too bassy in some set ups.  So I am pretty curious what Jude means by more neutral.  I am even more curious if the LCD-XC maintains a decent soundstage w/ closed back when IME the LCD3's sound stage is already a bit too narrow.

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #27 of 12,748
Guys its probably just going to be a neutral signature in the LCD 3. It doesnt mean its going to be better than the LCD3. IMO the LCD3 is sold at a considerable price. Also the LCD3s are far from neutral with pretty much any setup you use. If anything the lcd x should be compared withe the HiFiMAN HE-6 not the LCD3.A headphone isnt always better if its neutral. But of course i havent heard the LCD X yet so i cant judge their price.

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #29 of 12,748
Do you guys think this will impact the price of used LCD 2s or 3s at all?  

I bet it's a supply and demand thing, so if people start selling off their LCD2 or 3 to get the X, then used prices will have to drop to be competitive. If they keep their 2 or 3 because the X does actually sound significantly different then I would bet the used prices would stay the same. Who knows though, I'm no economist :)

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #30 of 12,748
IMO, not the 2s, but maybe the 3s? if the X is in fact better. If the X is judged not to be better but different, then maybe not. But a lot of people who can afford the LCD-3 can also afford to own both without selling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back