Audeze LCD-X
Jun 16, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #9,408 of 12,748
Jun 16, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #9,409 of 12,748
Is there any difference between a 2015 LCD-X and a new one bought this year, and if so, what might the changes be? Fazor came out in 2014 IIRC, it doesn't look like there are many other huge changes although I'll keep reading through this thread.

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #9,410 of 12,748
Jun 19, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #9,411 of 12,748
Hi guys, I know this question is quite weird but can the LCD-X match all the new toys "performance" wise?

I may have a chance to grab a pair in the near future. Been reading about them for a really long time and always wanted to try one but have no guts to walk into a store for audition because I know I can't afford them. I'm just afraid that I'm missing out something even better out there at this price range.

Guess it's finally time to audition them before pulling the trigger :laughing:

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #9,412 of 12,748
Hi guys, I know this question is quite weird but can the LCD-X match all the new toys "performance" wise?

I may have a chance to grab a pair in the near future. Been reading about them for a really long time and always wanted to try one but have no guts to walk into a store for audition because I know I can't afford them. I'm just afraid that I'm missing out something even better out there at this price range.

Guess it's finally time to audition them before pulling the trigger :laughing:
I love my Xs, so I'm going to say 'no'. I don't believe that I can get a better pair of phones at the price. But, I didn't get a chance to compare and contrast, as the nearest dealer was across the country. I'd definitely audition then if you can conquer your fears. When I got them, I thought What! Then, they eventually burned in, or I came to love them. And, if it interests you and you haven't made up your mind about the arguement, they scale up well with after-market cords. What they won't do is sizzle your ears with treble; it's there when needed.
There are alternatives like the Ether Flow which I haven't heard, etc. But, I sincerely think the X will be my favourite for a long time to come. HTH

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #9,413 of 12,748
I would agree. I have auditioned three better, the LCD-4, Utopia, and SR007 The first two should sound better at 2 1/2 times the price. The Stax are pricier and requires a special amp. The X holds its own against all others for me. I also agree that the X is well served by aftermarket cables. For most of its life my X has worn a Norne Draug v2 cable. At the last St Louis meet I heard an amazing cable the DH Prion4. It really brought out the best in the X. Mine is now being built hopefully ready in about 4 weeks(very very pricy). My X is such a favorite that my ETHER FLOW gets shipped off to its new owner today.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #9,414 of 12,748
I preferred the X to the 3, as well as over the Utopia, Elear, 800S, Ether Flow, and the Z1R. I can't compare it to all the others, but the X just had a quality I preferred.

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #9,415 of 12,748
I love my Xs, so I'm going to say 'no'. I don't believe that I can get a better pair of phones at the price. But, I didn't get a chance to compare and contrast, as the nearest dealer was across the country. I'd definitely audition then if you can conquer your fears. When I got them, I thought What! Then, they eventually burned in, or I came to love them. And, if it interests you and you haven't made up your mind about the arguement, they scale up well with after-market cords. What they won't do is sizzle your ears with treble; it's there when needed.
There are alternatives like the Ether Flow which I haven't heard, etc. But, I sincerely think the X will be my favourite for a long time to come. HTH
Thanks for your input, I just got a reply from the shop that the LCD-X and a few other headphones are available for audition. :)

Definitely will add in a aftermarket cable down the road but I guess it will take quite a while for me to be able to afford a decent one.

I would agree. I have auditioned three better, the LCD-4, Utopia, and SR007 The first two should sound better at 2 1/2 times the price. The Stax are pricier and requires a special amp. The X holds its own against all others for me. I also agree that the X is well served by aftermarket cables. For most of its life my X has worn a Norne Draug v2 cable. At the last St Louis meet I heard an amazing cable the DH Prion4. It really brought out the best in the X. Mine is now being built hopefully ready in about 4 weeks(very very pricy). My X is such a favorite that my ETHER FLOW gets shipped off to its new owner today.
Wow, those are some serious "totl of the totl" headphones, still can't believe how the whole market just blew up with flagships costing multiple times more than their predecessor.

Had been following Peter's thread for quite some time and he makes some really amazing cables. Will have to wait for quite some time for a decent cable if I happen to pick up the X, and not to mention better source for it.

I preferred the X to the 3, as well as over the Utopia, Elear, 800S, Ether Flow, and the Z1R. I can't compare it to all the others, but the X just had a quality I preferred.
Thanks for your input, I just happened to find a good deal on a used X locally that is still under warranty. Or the alternative will be getting a new Elear but I really want to know how good is the X.

Can't afford the retail on those flagships that you mentioned. As a college student, they are way out of my league. I actually tried the Z1R in a Sony store with a ZX100, not sure if I wasn't familiar with the songs loaded in it or just the ZX100 was kinda underpowered but it didn't impress me much. Same goes to the Z7 connected to a PHA3 back when it was new (PHA3 is powerful enough but the sound wasn't that impressive).

Hopefully I'll be able to make a decision tomorrow after the audition.

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #9,416 of 12,748
Thanks for your input, I just got a reply from the shop that the LCD-X and a few other headphones are available for audition. :)

Definitely will add in a aftermarket cable down the road but I guess it will take quite a while for me to be able to afford a decent one.

Wow, those are some serious "totl of the totl" headphones, still can't believe how the whole market just blew up with flagships costing multiple times more than their predecessor.

Had been following Peter's thread for quite some time and he makes some really amazing cables. Will have to wait for quite some time for a decent cable if I happen to pick up the X, and not to mention better source for it.

Thanks for your input, I just happened to find a good deal on a used X locally that is still under warranty. Or the alternative will be getting a new Elear but I really want to know how good is the X.

Can't afford the retail on those flagships that you mentioned. As a college student, they are way out of my league. I actually tried the Z1R in a Sony store with a ZX100, not sure if I wasn't familiar with the songs loaded in it or just the ZX100 was kinda underpowered but it didn't impress me much. Same goes to the Z7 connected to a PHA3 back when it was new (PHA3 is powerful enough but the sound wasn't that impressive).

Let us know what happened. On the subject of A.M. cables, I found a very reasonably priced cable from SilverBlue audio in California. A really significant upgrade to the sound. Give him a Google when you have the time. He posts on here, though I've not seen him in some time. Enjoy.

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #9,417 of 12,748

Here's the thing. It's going to come down to whether you want the planar sound or not. That's not a very concrete definition I know, but planar magnetic drivers and dynamic drivers really do present themselves differently. The Elear is great (I actually prefer it to the Utopia), but the X takes that wonderfully lush Audeze house sound and evens the response out a bit so it's not as warm and dark. I had the cash ready for the 3 and opted for the X.

In the end, your ears are what will tell you what's best. This is a big investment, so that means what sounds best *to you* matters a hell of a lot more than any charts or graphs or other reviews you read. I can tell you why I personally think the X is the best headphone I've had the opportunity to hear (and admittedly I haven't heard everything), but it's entirely possible that some of what I like about it doesn't strike your ear right.

Remember this, too: Among products like the X and Elear, there is no "wrong" choice. These are all goddamn incredible products and any one of them could be endgame.

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #9,418 of 12,748
The LCD-X is easy to drive. Just a DAP like the Opus#3 in balanced is enough for make it sing.

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #9,419 of 12,748
The LCD-X is easy to drive. Just a DAP like the Opus#3 in balanced is enough for make it sing.

For sure. Heck it can even get to a decent level out of a phone.

However...and I'm not normally one to use the phrase "scales up," but the X definitely seems to grow with better gear. It sounds amazing out of the Mojo, and even better out of the Deckard (admittedly the Deckard is tuned to the X specifically).

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #9,420 of 12,748
For sure. Heck it can even get to a decent level out of a phone.

However...and I'm not normally one to use the phrase "scales up," but the X definitely seems to grow with better gear. It sounds amazing out of the Mojo, and even better out of the Deckard (admittedly the Deckard is tuned to the X specifically).
Thanks for your precise I would like to hear the X with the Deckard maybe if I find one used

Users who are viewing this thread

Back