Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jun 27, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #3,946 of 5,780
Headphone level should be much lower than line level.

If you plugged headphones into a line level output you would get a very distorted signal. I wouldn't recommend it for more than a few seconds or you might damage your headphones.

What do you suggest should be done to boost the volume output via AUX so that it booms like the Bluetooth without exploding my Mobius into a two-sided parabola?

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #3,947 of 5,780
What do you suggest should be done to boost the volume output via AUX so that it booms like the Bluetooth without exploding my Mobius into a two-sided parabola?

Ha, I see what you did there

Well we've been warned about making the input too hot. If this is a bug, we should probably wait for advice from @Audeze before attempting anything that might cause actual damage to the device. It's probably something that can be fixed in firmware.

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #3,948 of 5,780

If you plugged headphones into a line level output you would get a very distorted signal. I wouldn't recommend it for more than a few seconds or you might damage your headphones.

Is that why I get distortions? I hadn't thought of that. No wonder Aux signals sound so bad with powered headphones in general for me. I tend to avoid the Aux inputs, Mobius included.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #3,950 of 5,780
Where are you outputting from?

Oh I don't ever use Aux for powered headphones. Only did it for testing. Usually from a phone.

It just sounds bad in comparison to the all digital route. I just figured that volume wasn't as high as digital because the phone's output wasn't at the 'start level' as usual digital inputs like toslink. Perhaps line level wasn't the correct term.

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #3,951 of 5,780
So say for example: using a Schiit Modi 3 dac RCA out to the Mobius aux would be a horrible idea? I mean I doubt anyone would logically do this, but I assume that's bad considering what you said.

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #3,953 of 5,780
So say for example: using a Schiit Modi 3 dac RCA out to the Mobius aux would be a horrible idea? I mean I doubt anyone would logically do this, but I assume that's bad considering what you said.

I suspect that Audeze rep here probably wasn't too keen on the idea when I wanted to test these cables with my Mobius to my smartphones- https://www.masterdynamic.com/products/usb-c-to-3-5mm-audio-cable?variant=12295831683149
and
https://www.masterdynamic.com/products/lightning-to-3-5mm-audio-cable?variant=12295817396301

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #3,954 of 5,780
I suspect that Audeze rep here probably wasn't too keen on the idea when I wanted to test these cables with my Mobius to my smartphones- https://www.masterdynamic.com/products/usb-c-to-3-5mm-audio-cable?variant=12295831683149
and
https://www.masterdynamic.com/products/lightning-to-3-5mm-audio-cable?variant=12295817396301

Those are different, they at least supply a headphone level out, but are they enough?

I have a feeling that in order to get to the level where the volume would match the digital inputs, you might have to crank the pre-amp too high for the recommended input signal.

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #3,955 of 5,780
Thanks for the information. I really don't delve deep into analog devices being sent to powered headphones that need to do an ADC and back to DAC conversions.
I learned something new today.

I wish Mobius had an analog bypass where it doesn't need to go through the digital pipeline first. That is one of my fave things about the Creative Air, though it's definitely not on the level of the Mobius otherwise.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #3,956 of 5,780
Thanks for the information. I really don't delve deep into analog devices being sent to powered headphones that need to do an ADC and back to DAC conversions.
I learned something new today.

I wish Mobius had an analog bypass where it doesn't need to go through the digital pipeline first. That is one of my fave things about the Creative Air, though it's definitely not on the level of the Mobius otherwise.

I think that there is an unspoken rule that one doesn't talk about Head-Fi club as well two DAC's don't make a right sound just like two rights don't make a wrong...

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #3,957 of 5,780
Yeah, it's one of those 'Last Resort' do it only if you absolutely must type of things.

Jun 28, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #3,958 of 5,780
Line level refers to low level signals like the rca analog output of a dac, 1-5v, 2v rca 5v xlr, headphone amps and preamps, while not quite high level(high level being an amplified signal, think speaker wire) are higher at 10v to 20v.

Jun 28, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #3,959 of 5,780
Line level refers to low level signals like the rca analog output of a dac, 1-5v, 2v rca 5v xlr, headphone amps and preamps, while not quite high level(high level being an amplified signal, think speaker wire) are higher at 10v to 20v.

Indeed, it took me awhile to find out that the Mobius has a built-in internal DAC which is a blessing.

Jun 29, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #3,960 of 5,780
While playing a PC game (USB), I got a call (Bluetooth AAC). I could talk to the caller while hearing the game sounds at a lower volume but when the call ended and game volume resumed, other players were saying they could hear me on my call! Fortunately they couldn't make out what I was saying, only garbled words they said sounded like E.T. talking.

Any suggestion on how to avoid this, @Audeze?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back