Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 28, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #4,261 of 5,780
Hi guys, sorry if my English won't be perfect but I'm Italian and I'm using google translator. First of all I wanted to tell you that I had the chance to use the logitech g933 and the Artic SteelSeries Pro GameDac for a few months but neither of them gave me such a detailed sound and sense of breadth when I listen to Hi-Res music. For the first time the 7.1 and the 3D system is emulated very well unlike the other headphones that all the sounds come to the ear a little mixed and the effect was not very nice. I wanted to point out that I installed the latest V5 firmware and everything seems to work perfectly. I have a question for you, I have mobius for 2 weeks but I'll have to replace them because a driver doesn't work well. In a few days the new ones will arrive, I wanted to know if with this type of headphones it is better to do a break-in or not. I read on google that in general it would be better to do it by making them play for 2 or 3 hours at half the power with a pause of 1 hour and repeat the operation until you reach 50/100 hours of use to get the maximum detail in the sound and those who say there is no need ... I'm a little confused. One last question: exactly what is the difference between a planar and a dynamic driver? I read a little about google but you don't find much ... What are the advantages and disadvantages? Thanks
Burn in has been proven to be a myth. Anybody who claims to hear a difference is experiencing placebo or has simply gotten used to the sound signature of the headphones.

Planar drivers consist of a very thin and very light sheet of material (called a diaphragm) with traces of a conductive material etched onto it. An array of permanent magnets is placed on one or both sides of the diaphragm and electric current is run through the conductive trace to magnetically induce movement, creating sound waves. A dynamic driver is your typical speaker cone with a magnet and coil. In terms of sound differences between the two the most significant one is in the bass frequencies. In general planar magnetic drivers have an easier time producing low frequency sounds than dynamic drivers. This means you will generally have better bass extension with planar headphones than with dynamic ones. It's also worth noting that planar drivers are typically less power efficient than dynamic ones, meaning it takes more power to reach the same volume level. Of course all of those things highly depend on the specific implementation and they are more observations rather than rules. In the end if a headphone sounds good it doesn't really matter (to me) what type of driver it uses.

Sep 28, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #4,262 of 5,780
Has anyone experimented with the asio driver for mobius? I have been using it in foobar and tried fading the rear channels up with no difference in audio. Only output 1&2(fL fR) fader alter volume. Tried with 2 different multichannel recordings and foobar output meters show all 5.1 as default. Asio Audeze LLC driver set for output.

Any idea where I might have gone wrong?

https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...-set-up-the-ASIO-driver-for-Mobius-in-Windows

edit:
Turns out when I choose the audeze asio driver as output it is not implementing the side and rear channels properly using the 7.1 audio test from hesuvi(played back in foobar) Switching back to the direct sound driver for now

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #4,264 of 5,780
[QUOTE = "GalaxyMaster, post: 15215176, membro: 493314"] Burn in ha dimostrato di essere un mito. Chiunque affermi di sentire una differenza sta sperimentando il placebo o si è semplicemente abituato alla firma del suono delle cuffie.

I driver planari consistono in un foglio di materiale molto sottile e molto leggero (chiamato diaframma) con tracce di un materiale conduttivo inciso su di esso. Una serie di magneti permanenti viene posizionata su uno o entrambi i lati del diaframma e la corrente elettrica viene fatta passare attraverso la traccia conduttiva per indurre magneticamente il movimento, creando onde sonore. Un driver dinamico è il tipico cono dell'altoparlante con magnete e bobina. In termini di differenze sonore tra i due, quello più significativo è nelle frequenze basse. In generale, i driver magnetici planari hanno più tempo a produrre suoni a bassa frequenza rispetto ai driver dinamici. Questo significa che avrai generalmente una migliore estensione dei bassi con le cuffie planari rispetto a quelle dinamiche. Vale anche la pena notare che i driver planari sono generalmente meno efficienti dal punto di vista energetico rispetto a quelli dinamici, nel senso che ci vuole più potenza per raggiungere lo stesso livello di volume. Naturalmente tutte queste cose dipendono fortemente dall'attuazione specifica e sono più osservazioni che regole. Alla fine, se una cuffia suona bene, non importa (per me) che tipo di driver utilizza. [/ QUOTE]

Grazie mille per la risposta. In realtà, quando li ho ascoltati per la prima volta, ho notato una netta differenza sia nella qualità del suono che nello spazio. Probabilmente è solo un effetto placebo e, come dici, il tuo orecchio si abitua al tono dei nuovi driver e sembrano suonare meglio del primo giorno in cui li hai acquistati .... E in effetti è esattamente quello che mi sta succedendo in questi giorni ... Più li uso più mi piacciono. Ma non so se sia normale, ma con le cuffie dinamiche che ho provato anche dai miei amici sento quasi tutti i suoni / strumenti che provengono dal centro del mio orecchio e mi dà un effetto del palcoscenico più basso del mobius. Invece con il planare sento alcuni strumenti / suoni provenienti dalla parte inferiore dell'orecchio a seconda del genere musicale o di come è stato registrato, invece sento quasi sempre la voce nella parte centrale e ascolto altri strumenti / suoni nella parte sopra. .. In breve, è una sensazione completamente nuova con un palcoscenico molto più ampio e ora che mi sto abituando posso sentire suoni o strumenti che stavo faticando a sentire prima ... Voglio chiarire che sto parlando di musica riprodotta in alta risoluzione su un sito di abbonamento, quindi nessun effetto 3d attivo o 7.1. È a causa del driver più grande o della tecnologia utilizzata che sento questa differenza di spazio? Grazie Sto parlando della musica riprodotta in alta risoluzione su un sito di abbonamento, quindi nessun effetto 3d attivo o 7.1. È a causa del driver più grande o della tecnologia utilizzata che sento questa differenza di spazio? Grazie

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #4,265 of 5,780
Hi Guys. Just a quick query about Audeze website, Ican't get logged into my account for some reason. It doesn't recognise the account name if I try to reset password or else it cycles through the password screen and not robot screen. Has anything changed on their website or anyone else experiencing a similar problem

Yeah they merged with shopify or something .. you can contact them before hand and make sure your merge goes through correct

Sep 29, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #4,266 of 5,780
Burn in has been proven to be a myth. Anybody who claims to hear a difference is experiencing placebo or has simply gotten used to the sound signature of the headphones.

Planar drivers consist of a very thin and very light sheet of material (called a diaphragm) with traces of a conductive material etched onto it. An array of permanent magnets is placed on one or both sides of the diaphragm and electric current is run through the conductive trace to magnetically induce movement, creating sound waves. A dynamic driver is your typical speaker cone with a magnet and coil. In terms of sound differences between the two the most significant one is in the bass frequencies. In general planar magnetic drivers have an easier time producing low frequency sounds than dynamic drivers. This means you will generally have better bass extension with planar headphones than with dynamic ones. It's also worth noting that planar drivers are typically less power efficient than dynamic ones, meaning it takes more power to reach the same volume level. Of course all of those things highly depend on the specific implementation and they are more observations rather than rules. In the end if a headphone sounds good it doesn't really matter (to me) what type of driver it uses.
Burn-in has most certainly NOT been proven to be a myth! “Anyone who claims they can’t hear a difference has cooties”

Sep 29, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #4,267 of 5,780
Burn-in has most certainly NOT been proven to be a myth! “Anyone who claims they can’t hear a difference has cooties”
I'm not going to get into this argument again but know that there have been plenty of studies and all of them found no tangible difference before or after burn-in. Any differences that were found were so small they would be impossible to hear.

Also I'm not saying people who experience placebo are crazy. Placebo and its effects are real and it's completely normal and human to experience it. You're absolutely free to use placebos if it allows you to enjoy your hobby more, but if you ask me an objective question I'm going to give you an objective answer.

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #4,268 of 5,780
While I haven't read much about this burn-in I am inclined to think that it is a placebo effect. I didn't "like" the sound of the Mobius initially because I was used to other cheaper/warmer toned gaming headphones. As I kept the Mobius on my noggin though they quickly became my favorite headphones. I believe more so because my listening got a bit more sophisticated.

After my Mobius broke (nearly a year to the day of receiving) I had to send them back. I was forced to go back to my old G933 Logitechs and boy was it an apparent difference. Fast forward a few weeks. I get my new Mobius (brand new even though they said they would be refurbished) set in. Hook them up to the PC and and lo and behold back to that same glorious sound. No burn in time required.

I also used to mess with car stereos. Big subwoofers and what not. There were some people that swore by the burn-in and others that didn't. I wasn't one of the ones that burnt in my subs. Still have my Alpines type s 12's from like 15 years ago and the same amp powering them (had it rebuilt about 7 years ago) and the subs still sound the same.

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #4,269 of 5,780
I think it can burn in can be very dependent on the hardware/materials/possibly production process.

I know for sure that with some Sony IEM's I've heard for myself the point where they have popped and the sound has opened up, bass become fuller, mid range more natural.

There is no way someone has tested all the possible hardware.

As for the Mobius, I'm waiting for the official update before I fully comment on my experience with them, but for me with music, they have got better over time, I no longer get sibilance on instruments for instance. There are other improvements.

For gaming and movies they are and have always been top notch.

Sep 29, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #4,270 of 5,780
I used mine every day for a year for everything from music to games to movies. For sessions lasting upwards to most of the day at times. If there was a burn in I never noticed it. the only time I noticed sound changes is when they did firmware updates. My eq has since switched to flat for pretty much anything unless I am listening to some bass heavy music and I want my earlobes to shake lol. The brand new pair they just sent me sounds exactly the same as the pair i sent back so take that for what you will.

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #4,272 of 5,780
I agree, burn in or no burn in they great right out the box. Hands down the best headphones I have owned.

Admittedly I don't have much experience in the headphone audiophile world though. Diving deeper into it. Looking into getting a pair of open backs.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #4,273 of 5,780
Im a proud owner of both LCD-X and Mobius (bought on your kickstarter).

Unfortunately my Mobius broke yesterday when I was just picking em up from the table to use. I have not even been using them outside and been careful.

Trying to email their support but keep getting this message:
"Your email to group support@audeze.com was rejected due to spam classification. The owner of the group can choose to enable message moderation instead of bouncing these emails. More information can be found here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/168383."

20190929_163729.jpg

As you can see in the picture the cable is stile intact so maybe I can repair them myself by unscrewing the screws? If I get a replacement part.

I have had both my headphones registered on their website but for some reason I got message that I did not have an account and when making a new one those registrations were gone.

UPDATE:
Been in contact with them, and I am sending headphones in for examination.

UPDATE 22/10:
Audeze is sending me a replacement.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #4,274 of 5,780
That seems to be where they are all breaking. Be patient. It's the weekend in California still. Someone will get up with you on Monday I am sure.

Edit* Not sure why you are getting the error I have been in contact with them via email regularly the past few weeks.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #4,275 of 5,780
Im a proud owner of both LCD-X and Mobius (bought on your kickstarter).

Unfortunately my Mobius broke yesterday when I was just picking em up from the table to use. I have not even been using them outside and been careful.

Trying to email their support but keep getting this message:
"Your email to group support@audeze.com was rejected due to spam classification. The owner of the group can choose to enable message moderation instead of bouncing these emails. More information can be found here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/168383."

As you can see in the picture the cable is stile intact so maybe I can repair them myself by unscrewing the screws? If I get a replacement part.

I have had both my headphones registered on their website but for some reason I got message that I did not have an account and when making a new one those registrations were gone.

ANYONE FROM AUDEZE IN THIS THREAD HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED
This is starting to become a troubling trend....:anguished:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back