Audio-GD DI-20
Nov 28, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #4,981 of 5,351
how to connect the DI20HE with it's one acss out to a AGD dac? wouldn't find it on Magna, right?

in fact how to go full acss: DI20HE - DAC - AMP

Good brands? where to get? thanks!

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #4,982 of 5,351
how to connect the DI20HE with it's one acss out to a AGD dac? wouldn't find it on Magna, right?

in fact how to go full acss: DI20HE - DAC - AMP

Good brands? where to get? thanks!
Perhaps the best this way:

DI-20HE <HDMI cable> DAC <ACSS cable> AMP

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #4,983 of 5,351
Perhaps the best this way:

DI-20HE <HDMI cable> DAC <ACSS cable> AMP
got the DI20HE already and maybe get an AGD dac... now with i2s, would keep that but why the acss on the DDC?

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #4,984 of 5,351
got the DI20HE already and maybe get an AGD dac... now with i2s, would keep that but why the acss on the DDC?
It is a digital ACSS, connector is BNC. It will work with upper range of Audio GD DACs. You can chose different type of connection, your choice, but HDMI will most likely suit you the best.

Nov 29, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #4,985 of 5,351
If you are choosing between DI20HE and AMP.

Choose amp first. I love the DI2HE, but ACSS even beats a masterclock for me😳😅

Two different things but I recommend it over both DDC and masterclock.

However I2S input on both R8H2 and R1N is better than USB.

Contradicting😅….ACSS for the win!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #4,986 of 5,351
To add to it. When DDC and a DAC are synchronised externally (valid for R-8 and above), advantage of I2S is fading. Cable (digital ACSS, AES/EBU) do not need to be very short, it gives more flexibility in arranging equipment. So chosing the right connection is not so straightforward. Have more money, spend more money.
With Audio GD it pays. :)

Nov 29, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #4,987 of 5,351
To add to it. When DDC and a DAC are synchronised externally (valid for R-8 and above), advantage of I2S is fading. Cable (digital ACSS, AES/EBU) do not need to be very short, it gives more flexibility in arranging equipment. So chosing the right connection is not so straightforward. Have more money, spend more money.
With Audio GD it pays. :)
I am going to test ACSS from DI20HE to R8H2, after firmware downgrade.

I2S is for R1N which showed the best impression almost beating R8H2 to my liking

Nov 29, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #4,988 of 5,351
I see, but I started with the DI20HE and will upgrade from X26pro/Ferrum stack to "better" DAC/AMP combo in 6 months or so.
Taking care of power right now...
Meaning whole chain to some kind of end game set up not going into 10+k (DAC/AMP) combos.

So either May/Bliss or DAC 200/Bliss or AGD pairing. Since I can't imagine there would be too much of a difference if not going the "HQ upsampling per DC" route, I just wanted to get a picture of how to acss...

Holo more expensive than AGD but "space friendly" and T+A seems to make most sense with HQ/PC.

All of my music is in 16/24 bit only (unfortunately) so NOS could be a good idea...
In this thread folks are convinced of ACSS as a great benefit but no matter which thread I go through... I mean check out ZMF, right?

All theoretical and purely mental exercises but I can't buy and sell my way through this price bracket.

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #4,989 of 5,351
I see, but I started with the DI20HE and will upgrade from X26pro/Ferrum stack to "better" DAC/AMP combo in 6 months or so.
Taking care of power right now...
Meaning whole chain to some kind of end game set up not going into 10+k (DAC/AMP) combos.

So either May/Bliss or DAC 200/Bliss or AGD pairing. Since I can't imagine there would be too much of a difference if not going the "HQ upsampling per DC" route, I just wanted to get a picture of how to acss...

Holo more expensive than AGD but "space friendly" and T+A seems to make most sense with HQ/PC.

All of my music is in 16/24 bit only (unfortunately) so NOS could be a good idea...
In this thread folks are convinced of ACSS as a great benefit but no matter which thread I go through... I mean check out ZMF, right?

All theoretical and purely mental exercises but I can't buy and sell my way through this price bracket.
I even downgraded from R8H2 to R1N/I2S and like it more than R8H2/USB, after I placed it on a filtering(and DC Blocking) power outlet.

It is a very unique DAC. Has the same DA7mk2 boards as the R8H2/3 and R7H2/3.

So if you have a good power conditioning I could recommend you the R1N, but after 1000hours of breakin with I2S.

And if you like this DAC it will match good with the DI20HE too.

It is better you risk small than buying the flagship. I must say honestly Audio-gd is not for everybody, I bought my R1N returned from another customer....and I love this DAC

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #4,990 of 5,351
alright, could dip my toes into R2R sound with it and not risk too much... plus keep the X26pro or get a Weiss DAC if I wanted to get a DS flavor for the same money as R7-HE or even R8-HE...
decided to go with puritan which should qualify as good filter plus DC offset.
I mean with R7/8-HE I don't know if one really wants/needs to "filter" those anyways.

Nov 29, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #4,991 of 5,351
alright, could dip my toes into R2R sound with it and not risk too much... plus keep the X26pro or get a Weiss DAC if I wanted to get a DS flavor for the same money as R7-HE or even R8-HE...
I mean with R7/8-HE I don't know if one really wants/needs to "filter" those anyways.
I also consider puritan for headphone setup. I would not go with it if I had a hungry speaker setup. The lightweight filterings like puritan and powerstrips etc, is good for lightweight wattage.

If you need high load of wattage you need a different approach imo(off topic)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #4,992 of 5,351
AudioQuest has a new line of 'powerquest' conditioners which are cheaper than the niagara but have a current reservoir, I'd suggest looking at those.
The Niagara series have been excellent for me

Nov 30, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #4,993 of 5,351
If you don’t own any audio-gd and want a taste of it all dacs and amps.

R27RE is probably the best buy as in all in one.

However for Susvara R27HE.

…..

Many possibilities with Audio-gd

You should really consider the R27RE:

Internal ACSS
REG PSU
PRICE
Powerful headamp
Masterclock input.

This AIO is a steal!

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #4,994 of 5,351
Hi guys, i want to upgrade a bit my RME ADI2 pro fs interface, and i am considering to buy the DI20HE.
But, the RME is quite neutral and clinic and it works great for me, because i am a mastering engineer.
I need upgrade only in the instrument separation, depth, soundstage, dynamics ets.. not in color !

So, do you think the DI20HE will give me true representation of the source, just better - without excess coloring ?

Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back