Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Nov 2, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #1,936 of 2,803
Well, I don't think they're suited to studio work TBH GraveNox. If you actually used them for mixing, the results might well end up extremely bass to say the least.

Studio monitors don't sound like them at all.

The frequency response of a headphone is quite important really. It's the 'engine' of the sound. Rather than have a 'flat' response (which is in effect, not flat due to the way that we hear) I think that it's more important for the frequency response to be a smooth as possible. Whether you like an upward or downward slope is more like personal preference.

I'm glad you like them though, but for me, they aren't the last word in decent headphones.

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #1,937 of 2,803
^ Agree, it's also the harder one to find too, IMO the M70x fits that category well

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #1,939 of 2,803
Anybody knows where to buy the official replacement pads for the MSR7? Can't really find them in any AT website. If there's really no retail replacement pads available, what 3rd-party pads fit, aside from the HM5 pads (which I don't really like because it alters the sound for the worse)?

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #1,943 of 2,803
  I believe the cup size is similar to their popular M50x. Perhaps a standard M50x set would be pretty close to what you need.

So far, that seems to be the only real option I could try.

The headband of my pair is also deteriorating. It's not user-replaceable, so any idea how to replace it and still make it look good? 
confused.gif

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #1,944 of 2,803
The M50x pad is quite different from the MSR7 - it's flange is a lot tighter so it is harder to put on, and if you have big ears you'll practically be using it as an on-ear headphone.

You will need to contact Audio-Technica to ask for genuine replacement earpads.

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #1,945 of 2,803
If you want to get an "upgrade" in pads, all in material, comfort and SQ, get Yaxi St pads, it's using real leather and still are on the same thickness as the original (unlike HM5 that's much thicker thus alter its midrange, bass and soundstage) its a Japanese brand that only recently start producing in China, so it's kinda hard to find stock of though.. If you're visiting Indonesia or Japan in any near future though, do look into them.

Nov 13, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #1,946 of 2,803
If you want to get an "upgrade" in pads, all in material, comfort and SQ, get Yaxi St pads, it's using real leather and still are on the same thickness as the original (unlike HM5 that's much thicker thus alter its midrange, bass and soundstage) its a Japanese brand that only recently start producing in China, so it's kinda hard to find stock of though.. If you're visiting Indonesia or Japan in any near future though, do look into them.
I think u can order them oversea from theirs website.....also there is an velour like version also

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #1,948 of 2,803
I will tell you this on the AT. I purchased the Beyer T5P V2 and I almost like the sound signature better on the AT. If they made this exact can with a wider sound stage separate  instruments a touch it would be world class to me.

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #1,949 of 2,803
Why not buy a thicker pads then? There's a lot of quality, leather and Velour alike, headphone pads that fit studio headphones.
It's hard to add layering and distinct separation when it's not there in the first place though, the ATs is just decent in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back