Audio Zenith PMx2 Impressions page
Nov 4, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #166 of 393
Thanks Ray. So it can STILL hold its own despite of the new big boys...

And being compared to Utopia, just w/ 3x it's price is just telling how special it is.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #167 of 393
Thanks Ray. So it can STILL hold its own despite of the new big boys...

And being compared to Utopia, just w/ 3x it's price is just telling how special it is.

I want to be careful with the Utopia comparison.  I was only able to listen to Darin's Utopias for about 10-15 minutes, so all I have is high level impressions vs the PMx2s.  He was kind enough to let us keep him PMx2s for several days, so we were really able to put them through their paces (vs Focal Elears and HD 800's primarily...that group of three quickly rose to the top of our lists)

I would want a lot more time with the Utopias before saying anything authoritative vs the PMx2s, but they were both clearly the top of the heap amongst the 12 cans we were evaluating.  To our ear, having the PMx2 hand tuned by Alex just took them to the next level.  Obviously, folks like Focal and Sennheiser can't devote that type of expertise and time to hand tune every pair that comes off their manufacturing lines.  But what Alex was able to do vs the stock Oppo PM-1 was astonishing (to say the least).  Respect.

@darinf has both. Darin, can you speak to the PMx2 vs Utopia comparison?

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #168 of 393
I'm spending a lot of time with some Utopias and the PMx2 is good, but the Utopias area great. The PMx2 sounds a little flat or congested compared to the Utopias. I'm not saying the PMx2 is bad; I really like mine. I just saying that compared to the $4000 utopia the PMx2 doesn't engage me. 

Utopia aside, the PMx2 are one of the best. I need to spend some time with an Elear. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #169 of 393

I want to be careful with the Utopia comparison.  I was only able to listen to Darin's Utopias for about 10-15 minutes, so all I have is high level impressions vs the PMx2s.  He was kind enough to let us keep him PMx2s for several days, so we were really able to put them through their paces (vs Focal Elears and HD 800's primarily...that group of three quickly rose to the top of our lists)

I would want a lot more time with the Utopias before saying anything authoritative vs the PMx2s, but they were both clearly the top of the heap amongst the 12 cans we were evaluating.  To our ear, having the PMx2 hand tuned by Alex just took them to the next level.  Obviously, folks like Focal and Sennheiser can't devote that type of expertise and time to hand tune every pair that comes off their manufacturing lines.  But what Alex was able to do vs the stock Oppo PM-1 was astonishing (to say the least).  Respect.

@darinf has both. Darin, can you speak to the PMx2 vs Utopia comparison?

Yes, I have both and have listened to them both from a Gumby --> Ragnarok (balanced cables) and also on a Mimby --> Vali 2 (GE JAN 5670W).

When I first received the Utopias, the first thing I thought was that they sound a lot like my PMx2's. They are both my current favorite headphones. They both sound very well balanced, great bass.

My preferences in general are for a brighter, more airy/open sound. That's why I also have Stax 009's and AKG K1000's. The Utopias and PMx2's are nowhere near that tilted bright though.

However, I would say the Utopias are brighter and more open sounding than the PMx2's. Because of this, the Utopia's might sound like they have more detail, but they don't. Just brighter. It's a matter of preference I suppose. The PMx2's are more neutral or "right".

Otherwise, if I had to choose just one, it would be really hard. The Utopias are super open meaning there is virtually no isolation and the sound leaks like speakers. So one advantage is that the PMx2's isolate much more and don't leak nearly as much sound despite the fact that they are open headphones.

I would probably pick the Utopias over the PMx2's if price was not a factor just because I guess I am a sort of treble-head. 
But how can most people not consider price? It really is a testament to Alex's skill and talent to be able to produce a headphone that rivals the Utopia for only $1399. When you factor in price, you could buy the PMx2's and almost a Gumby and Ragnarok to drive them or get a pair of Utopia's.

Everyone really owe's it to themselves to hear a pair of PMx2's even after you hear the Utopia's.

Nov 4, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #170 of 393
I'm spending a lot of time with some Utopias and the PMx2 is good, but the Utopias area great. The PMx2 sounds a little flat or congested compared to the Utopias. I'm not saying the PMx2 is bad; I really like mine. I just saying that compared to the $4000 utopia the PMx2 doesn't engage me. 

Utopia aside, the PMx2 are one of the best. I need to spend some time with an Elear. 

Happy to swap my elears with your utopias for a while Allan :wink: although my wallet may regret spending time with $4k headphones. Thanks for sharing your experience comparing the two.

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #171 of 393

Happy to swap my elears with your utopias for a while Allan
wink.gif
although my wallet may regret spending time with $4k headphones. Thanks for sharing your experience comparing the two.

Alas, my utopias are loaners, so I have to decline your generous offer.

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #172 of 393
Thank you @darinf for you comparison and @ray-dude for your help.

Very appreciative of your inputs!

Michael

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #174 of 393
Excellent feedback, thank you guys.

I think I've narrowed down my choices to the HD800S and PM2x. Somehow I need to find a way to demo each as I can't cannot get both and then sell one at a lose.

I was in the same boat. I voted for PMx2s and haven't looked back :)

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #175 of 393
Excellent feedback, thank you guys.

I think I've narrowed down my choices to the HD800S and PM2x. Somehow I need to find a way to demo each as I can't cannot get both and then sell one at a lose.

Few thoughts having compared the HD800 to HD800S and the PMx2 vs HD800.
  1. Utility: HD800 requires a grand setup to sound good and is very expensive to scale up. The HD800S still requires a good setup to sound good, but not as much as an HD800 given its bass boost, but will not scale up as well as an HD800 due to its bass boost. The PMx2 sounds exotic directly out of an iPhone and everything in between easily besting both HD's until getting to a better setup. My preference in an great setup still goes to the PMx2 as I like the richer more textured natural sound quality vs. the analytical hyper detailed HD's. The PMx2 is not lacking in details in comparison, just presented in a more natural manner. Bottom Line: The PMx2 will get used everywhere, while the HDs will be tied to your most expensive system only - utilizing sonarworks and other required modifications.
  2. Comfort: They are both extremely comfortable, but I would be more comfortable with the HDs sitting down and the PMx2 are good for sitting, but also for on the go giving them more flexibility for a portable setup.
  3. Sound Stage: The HDs beat the PMx2 in sound stage at the expense of being more analytical. If you only care about maximum sound stage then the HD is your girl, but if you want natural and toe tapping, then the PMx2 is your girl.

To me, the PMx2 key value is it ability to scale down and travel well bringing exotic SQ to everywhere you go. Does that help?

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #176 of 393
Barra, thank you so much for that feedback.

At the moment I have a pair of K7XX that I'm wanting to upgrade - I like this sound overall but just want everything to be a noticeable upgrade. A Schiit Gungnir multibit should be on the way shortly. The amp is only a small Schiit Vali but depending on which headphone I go with will depend on the amp to pair it with. Initially I was looking at the Vali 2 but this may not be a good match with the PMx2?

Appreciate your opinions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back