Audio Zenith PMx2 Impressions page
Aug 10, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #91 of 393
Originally Posted by Barra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The PMx2 is the first time that I have heard audiophile class SQ out of my iPhone. The Audeze/HE6/HE1000 certainly cannot do that.

IMHO, this ability alone pretty much puts them in a class by themselves. 
L3000.gif

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #92 of 393
Obviously better than Hifiman, but different than Audeze. Audeze has a dark focus on bass that is real fun, pmx2 has a focus on a thicker more textured note throughout the frequency range that is unique.

Impact is better then Hifiman?
When I talk about impact, I mean like... viscerality, do you feel it physicly in ur ear?  

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #93 of 393
To be clear, you are talking to a guy that has spent thousands putting dual high end subs into his speaker system to get bass just right. That means the right placement, right crossover point, and no, not turned up all the way trying to bounce the furniture around. Just right is silent when not present in the material, fast and tight - not flabby, but adds fun full-sized lifelike realism to the overall sound structure.

The Hifiman HE1000 is the best I have heard at reproducing the subwoofer experience, but it is a very different animal than the other headphones in their lineup. Skipping the Abyss which is like the HE1000, the Audeze family is the second best I have heard in reproducing bass. Most of the other "bass" headphones IMO sound like cheap fart cannons awkwardly stepping all over the music.

While I agree that the Hifiman headphones put out TOTL HP SQ, they so far with the exception of the HE1000 have not been my cup of tea. In looking for linear response, they feel like the bass is set down some dB and feels lifeless. While the HE6 used to be their best, in the speaker tap setups or high end HP amp setups that I have heard it paired, it has not interested me in owning one. This may be a genre thing as most of the HE6 owners that I have listened to their setups have been primarily classical fans with a few rock fans. The HE6 does do rock well, but no better than my LCD2.2 which is a hell of a lot more fun. Please don't hate me, that is just how I hear it personally. Not dissing HiFiman, just not my cup of tea.

Coming back to the PMx2, they are as fun or more fun than the Audeze family but add a new signature flavor so you can keep both in your collection. The PMx2 has a fatter note without being flabby adding new textures and dimensions that you do not hear with the other signatures. Since their is nothing to compare it to, I would recommend listening to one if you can to see what I mean. Falling back on the desert island question, if I could only have one HP, I would chose the PMx2 over everything mentioned as it is the most versatile making everything sound great. One guys opinion.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #95 of 393
I was not too impressed with the HE-1000's bass, it dident hit as hard as my LCD-3F, not even at my high volum addiction. So I find that that interesting.  

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #96 of 393
Happy to hear you still are enjoying the sound so much. Very much appreciate all your feedback and suggestions.
Already working on non-scratcheable stickers. We actually considered sewing logo on the case at first but this is crazy difficult and requires complete reassembling of the original (because of the plastic inserts on top and bottom which prevent direct sewing). Still thinking about embroidered badge though :wink:

I like the design of the stickers.
I myself used a small engraved brass plate for my amp..

Any plans to mod the Oppo PM3 or  PM1?

Thanks for your interest and yes, for the same $699.00 we are modding PM-1s as well as PM-2s (these cans are exactly the same except for two things we replace anyway: backside damping and pads).
No plans for physical mods on PM-3 as of yet, maybe DSP filters..... .

Is the stock PM2 slightly different sound than PM1, because of materials,
But as you say, you replace the materials anyways...

So my question is, what are the prices of a fully done PM1 & PM2,
As oposed to having one sent for modding?
:)

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #97 of 393
I like the design of the stickers.
I myself used a small engraved brass plate for my amp..
Is the stock PM2 slightly different sound than PM1, because of materials,
But as you say, you replace the materials anyways...

So my question is, what are the prices of a fully done PM1 & PM2,
As oposed to having one sent for modding?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your interest. The price for modification into PMx2 is the same $699.00 for either PM-1 or PM-2 and $1398.00 for a fully done PM-2. There is no point in purchasing PM-1 just for the mod, unless you feel it's shiny box is worth $400.00 :wink:.

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #98 of 393
Haha yes, the stock oppo headphones are like Ultrasone in their pricing.

They want you to pay the price of its potential,
Not the price of its current stock sound..

I remember hearing a prototype PM1, which had some more bass extension than their current PM1 model,
Which is why I was one of the first buyers of PM1 the first day it came out.

Then I was sorely dissapointed by the lack of the bass from prototype level,
And then a "gooy-honey-like" treble which was about 4db lower than flat across the board from upper mids to highs...
I was sorely dissapointed.
:frowning2:

So I was rather truley shocked(!),
When I actually heard your version...

Both the "gooy" treble & associated lower treble output levels were corrected, along with a true increase in clarity(!).
Then that bass utter slam, (wich by the way, was alot more powerful than even the prototype),
Was even more pronounced by using your Ragnarok(at last NYmeet), which gave it an utterly commanding sound..(!)

At first I thought, wow this is a bass heavy phone now, more into the LCD type of visereal power...
But later found that was not the case..

I was truley impress with that bass trait alone,
And I would have kept my PM1 if it had performed like that...

But then (at that meet) I moved the headphone to another (my) amp, and was surprised it was actually not a bass heavy phone, but a very well balanced headphone with slam & high clarity as well!

That sealed the impression with me that it was one of the few planars to get once I am able..

I have listened or owned (at different friends houses & mine, not at meets) to the Abyss, HE1k, HE6moded, HE560moded, enigma, Slants, Zmf Vibro, t50rp moded ... and their strengths were not enough to make me want to truley either have or keep them..

At the top,
The Abyss was actually much better than the HE1k(which only excelled in sub-bass), but in thier category (of TOTL), my HD800 excells them in clarity anyways, so there was not point.

So I settled in thinking for a planar to compliment my HD800, since none I have heard were overall better.
Something with that LCD2-3 type of bass, yet not so dam bulky.

I truley like the Ether sound(more than the abyss), but the LCD type planar bass was not there.

So in contrast, this PMx2 has the bass slam, while also having a nice clear signature whithout sounding dark, like most bass heavy planars do,
So that is a HUgE plus which gives it a more musical impression.
So the last can to check would be Dans new closed can, but I am already sold on these PMx2.
These cans have the driver's potential realized, and is truley how the PM1 should have sounded.

I cant understand why Oppo chose a honey colored, gooy-dull signature for PM1, as their flagship.
Maybe better suited in a lesser model for contemporay/popular music which are loaded with trebles, but now the result is Oppo top model PM1 being too forgiving and not accurate..

In meantime, while I save up for these excellent PMx2,
I am going to do a "Nickerfied T50RP" mod, to hold me over till I get those PMx2 babies...
I probably will buy a used PM2 to save money.
:wink:

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #101 of 393
Anybody with a pair of these close to Boston? I'd love to demo them.

Oct 9, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #102 of 393
Greatly considering this HP. Looking for a versatile, neutral easy to drive cans for my DAP and Desktop rig.

Was leaning for an Ether/Ether C and now this.

Questions:

1. The pin layout is twin mono 3.5mm right?
2. For those who had purchased an aftermarket cable, what brand/cable config did you bought and what differences did it made.

Thanks in advance.

Mabuhay! 

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #103 of 393
mmm.....no. It is mono mini (2.5 mm.), same as the ones that you can use with the Hifiman HE 1000. My first after-market cable is the reasonably-priced Moon Audio Blue Dragon for Oppo headphones. Difference? Better clarity, specially vocals and instrumentals,  over the stock cable without altering the sound signature (it is a neutral cable).

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #104 of 393
Having just returned from RMAF and trying all the totl HPs, the PMx2 and the lcd4 were the stand out headphones to me. The ethers were awesome HPs too and very light and comfortable, but tuned more toward the typical boring thinner neutral where the pmx2 is tuned to flat but rich natural making it more fun and emotional while being just as resolving. It's hard to believe the pmx2 doesn't get more attention. It was fun spending time with Alex and watching the surprised look on the faces of those that listened and trying to figure out the trick that made them sound so good. Couldn't be just the HPs..... :wink:

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #105 of 393
  mmm.....no. It is mono mini (2.5 mm.), same as the ones that you can use with the Hifiman HE 1000. My first after-market cable is the reasonably-priced Moon Audio Blue Dragon for Oppo headphones. Difference? Better clarity, specially vocals and instrumentals,  over the stock cable without altering the sound signature (it is a neutral cable).

Thanks! Kabayan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back