Audio Zenith PMx2 Impressions page
Oct 10, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #106 of 393
Having just returned from RMAF and trying all the totl HPs, the PMx2 and the lcd4 were the stand out headphones to me. The ethers were awesome HPs too and very light and comfortable, but tuned more toward the typical boring thinner neutral where the pmx2 is tuned to flat but rich natural making it more fun and emotional while being just as resolving. It's hard to believe the pmx2 doesn't get more attention. It was fun spending time with Alex and watching the surprised look on the faces of those that listened and trying to figure out the trick that made them sound so good. Couldn't be just the HPs..... :wink:

This is excellent info!..
Just what I was looking for,
and hope to find out when I hear all of them..
I'm made in bold, the points of headphones you listen to...
This is very "key" to make mental note of..

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #107 of 393
Congrats Alex. Seems like they were a big hit at RMAF. Any news of the software side of your work? 

On another note, I've noticed that ever since I've bought these, I've been a lot less active on the forums, and have completely stopped looking for a "next best thing". I've even sold some gear without buying new gear to replace the void. Is this what being content feels like? It's weird. 
jecklinsmile.gif

Nov 10, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #109 of 393
Having just returned from RMAF and trying all the totl HPs, the PMx2 and the lcd4 were the stand out headphones to me. The ethers were awesome HPs too and very light and comfortable, but tuned more toward the typical boring thinner neutral where the pmx2 is tuned to flat but rich natural making it more fun and emotional while being just as resolving. It's hard to believe the pmx2 doesn't get more attention. It was fun spending time with Alex and watching the surprised look on the faces of those that listened and trying to figure out the trick that made them sound so good. Couldn't be just the HPs.....
wink.gif

Sorry for the delayed response, somehow I wasn't getting any updates on the status of this thread and already started to think it's dead :wink:. All true, Ethers are pretty good headphones, priced quite competitively and I completely agree with you on differences in sound quality. Just at the recent San Diego meet I noticed how Ether's box doubles for a decent headphone stand and have to give Dan another credit (It seems like pretty much all the smallest details were well thought out).
   I myself have a hard time figuring out what's blocking PMx2 from wider exposure but it is what it is and I am endlessly thankful for all the support head-fi community is giving.
   Your comment about people's reaction to the sound is also true and I seriously think about setting up a camera for the meets/shows to capture the reactions as it's just breathtaking, especially from professional musicians and is quite difficult to describe with words. 
    Still think it's just the HPs.....:wink:.

Congrats Alex. Seems like they were a big hit at RMAF. Any news of the software side of your work? 

On another note, I've noticed that ever since I've bought these, I've been a lot less active on the forums, and have completely stopped looking for a "next best thing". I've even sold some gear without buying new gear to replace the void. Is this what being content feels like? It's weird. 
jecklinsmile.gif

Once again so sorry for the delayed response. Not sure if they were such a big hit at RMAF but few people supposedly liked the sound :wink:. The software is coming along slowly but surely, no dates as of yet but I am working as hard as I can. Demoed my prototype universal IEMs to a few people at the recent San Diego meet. Gathered some fairly positive impressions and will be working hard on those too. Assembled my old DSPd stereo system employing cross-talk cancellation (one mentioned in your review) and am totally convinced people have to hear the truth and it so it just has to be brought to a state of commercial product. 
   Finally to your last observation/question, it is weird and right about now you probably should be thinking what can be done to a recording industry :wink:.

Nov 14, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #111 of 393
Been listening for several weeks now to the PMx2 headphone and thought I'd post some impressions.  I should start by saying that I own quite a few flagship headphones and have done comparisons between the PMx2 and these flagships.  I don't necessarily do my comparisons in a scientific way.  I do go back and forth and I do replay the music in rapid succession but I blend that with longer listening sessions with each unit.  I tend to listen to music around 70 to 85 db and I listen to all kind of genres (heavy metal, classic rock, jazz, orchestral, etc).  The impressions I form are not based upon one particular song or one particular genre so I don't log how the unit sounded for this song or that song.  Also, my sonic tastes have varied over time.  I used to like the warm and rich sound of the Audeze, but over time I began to place priority on clarity and visceral impact.  I used to prefer a forward sound, but now prefer a more neutral frequency response.  In my comparisons the PMx2 quickly rose to the top of my preferred headphone list.  The unit is not perfect but I would say it compared favorably to my T1, HD800, HE6, Audeze LCD-x, AKG 812, Stax SR-009, Grado GS1000E/PS500E, and even the GH1 which I like so much.  At the time of my reception of the PMx2 my favorite headphone of all was the McIntosh MHP1000.  The PMx2 surpassed them all.  Like I said though, it isn't a perfect headphone to my ears so I'll start with some of my gripes.

The PMx2:
A little too forward and intimate sounding.  It lacks air and comes off as a bit closed in sounding.  It almost sounds like your in the studio listening in a vacuum, plugged directly into the instruments.
The bass is a LITTLE too warm and full-bodied or plump.  But it is tight.  It's sort of a rounded or softer sound, but still plenty of impact.  
I wouldn't describe the overall sound of the headphone as crisp, its more organic.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I do like crisp sound.
Clarity is not what I would describe as crystal clear, but it is clearer than most other headphones and satisfying.
In terms of depth of sound, I don't know that I would characterize the headphone as having good front to back depth, but it does have a very large sound, especially side to side.
The headphones are very resolving but I do feel that it could be more revealing of detail if it had a bit more clarity to rival the clearest of the flagships.
Also, the opening for the ears is a little cramped.  My ears are average in size and they fit snugly in the opening.  Overall though, the headphone is comfortable.
Also, I tend to prefer these headphones to be played at louder volumes.

The PMx2 is certainly exceptional sounding to my ears.  The headphone lays out texture and timber of music very well.  It sounds 'right' and more realistic.  It makes other high-end headphones sound like ...headphones, because invariably, the flaws of competing headphones are pointedly highlighted when comparing the PMx2.  To me, the PMx2 sounds more like music.  It has a very grand sound and I think it is improving with time and continuing to open up, but that could just be me adapting.  Of all the headphones I compared the PMx2, it sounded most like my Audeze LCD-X. The key difference was that the PMx2 had tighter, more visceral bass.  By contrast the LCD-x sounded loose and woolly, which I never thought before.  In addition, I found the treble to be very natural and balanced.  With the Oppo 1 I own I felt there was a slight brightness in the upper mids and a wall that the treble hit, meaning it fell off quickly and prematurely.  Not so, with the PMx2.  It loses that bit of peakiness in the upper mids and has very good treble extension.

So what would I change if I had a magic wand?
I would not characterize the PMx2 as completely neutral. But I'll say this.  It sounds extremely flat to me.  And I don't mean boring or non-engaging.  I mean flat in terms of frequency response.  There appear to be no substantial spikes or grossly disconnected sounds.  It's a very natural sound.  But, I would prefer to back down the lower midrange by a few dbs and boost the frequencies (in the mids/upper mids) where the upper portions of the voice reside, where higher pitched violin strings play, and where the air or atmosphere of the room can be heard, and where the snare of the drum exists.  My adjustments would not be by a wide margin, mind you.  The overall sound of the headphone is bottom up rather than top down.  For the most part it is neutral, but those would be the changes I would make if I were king for a day.

Conclusions - I wouldn't claim the PMx2 beats all my other flagships but it does tend to make the other flagships sound a bit off-putting.  My preferences do depend on genre and mood to some extent.  As I have put more time on the PMx2 I enjoy them more and more, even making me question whether some of the things I have been critical of may just be me not being used to such a neutrally voiced headphone.  In the end, I still conclude it has a slight warmth in the lower frequencies, but the sound is extremely appealing and the PMx2 has gotten more air time than any of my other headphones.  I've also found it can be a money saver.  I'm in the Process of returning the BeyerDynamic T1 Gen 2.  Comparing them to the PMx2 was like running into a buzz saw.  I have a feeling lots of headphones would suffer the same fate.

I mentioned that I did many comparisons.  I'll post a brief synopsis below.  But before I do I also want to say that I had the opportunity to communicate with the maker and he is a terrific gentleman. He is truly interested in how I experienced his product.  In this case, as I told him, I am enjoying them immensely and count them as one of my top performers, which says quite a bit, considering the other units I possess.

Comparisons
I listened to a variety of music on the following headphones and formed the following conclusions in comparison to the Audio Zenith PMx2.
  • McIntosh MHP 1000 (clean, bright, impactful, but a bit thin / lean sounding)
  • Hifiman HE-6 (clear, impactful, well balanced, full bodied, a little more distant and a slightly hollow bass and very subtle horn-like sound of the vocals)
  • Hifiman HE-1000 (brighter on top, fairly impactful, but lacking midrange presence)
  • Sennheiser HD800 (wider soundstage than the PMx2, but size of the images in the soundstage were as big or bigger than the HD800.  Very surprising.  The HD800 was cleaner, but has a nasty spike in the upper mids that make the HD800 sound slightly bleached and less real when comparing directly to PMx2)
  • AKG 812 - clean, clear, tight sounding.  The PMx2 bass is excellent, but perhaps a bit plump in comparison to the tighter AKG.  The AKG gad a very nice presentation, but a little overly bright in the treble.  A little dry and thinner sounding too, compared to the PMx2.  That said, the AKG was very impressive.
  • Audeze LCD-x - the PMx2 sounds most similar to these.  Very close, in fact.  I may have preferred the LCD-x vocal just a bit (more open, less congested equally forward - maybe ever so slightly less forward which would be a good thing to my ears).  I also found the vocals a bit clearer and the frequencies in the lower midrange to midbass a touch clearer in the LCD-X.  BUT, the bass and midbass was not as tight or impactful.  Any slight advantage the LCD-X had was completely outweighed by the significantly superior tightness, clarity, and impact of the PMx2 bass. 
  • Grado Labs HP-1 - This is a headphone I absolutely love.  Clear, not as bright as other Grados, excellent midbass quantity with pretty good midbass quality too.  The vocals are neutral and the overall sound is quite fun.  While I couldn't quite put my finger on why, I did prefer the PMx2.  Just slightly more realistic sounding, I guess.
  • AKG 712 - too bright in the treble, but mids were somewhat recessed.  I preferred the PMx2's overall balance.

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #112 of 393
The second video came out a bit better (I think :wink: but is still just as long, sorry this was the best I could manage. Hope some will find it informative enough to be worth the time.

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #113 of 393
I myself have a hard time figuring out what's blocking PMx2 from wider exposure but it is what it is and I am endlessly thankful for all the support head-fi community is giving.

I would guess its because there is no obvious link to your website which should be as easy to click/buy/navigate/read up on as other websites like ZMF & MrSpeakers.

Last time I checked a while back your website was still under construction with no website pay options like either purchase or send in for modding.

I really think once your website is clear in the financial sense like others things will roll more smoother.
In my opinion, a website can make or break a business.
I myself consider these still in my list to get next soon.
:)

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #114 of 393
I would guess its because there is no obvious link to your website which should be as easy to click/buy/navigate/read up on as other websites like ZMF & MrSpeakers.

Last time I checked a while back your website was still under construction with no website pay options like either purchase or send in for modding.

I really think once your website is clear in the financial sense like others things will roll more smoother.
In my opinion, a website can make or break a business.
I myself consider these still in my list to get next soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Audio Zenith website has been up and running for a while now:
http://audiozenith.com

They even added an ordering page:
http://www.audiozenith.com/ordering/

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #115 of 393
When I go to the site I see this message

Our site is currently under construction, please check back soon.
For more information or placing orders, please use our contact form.

It appears you have an ordering link buried in the hamburger menu in the upper right. You might want to make the ordering link more prominent. After all, the whole point of the web site to get orders.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #116 of 393

Finally got loaned PM-X2 today!

Item List:
- Oppo PM-X2 
- Oppo PM-1 with latex foam pad
- Standard Cable Oppo PM-1 (both balance and single ended)
- AK240 SS
- Bakoon HDA 5520
- Chord Mojo
- Masskobo 404

Comparison result: 
- Physically PM-X2 has more weight than PM-1, also slight less pressure for headband, making it slight discomfort for me after around 2 hours compare to original PM-1
- Faster decay! More upfront upper mid and treble! I think these 2 points are really biggest difference in sound character between PM-X2 and PM-1. Just keep in mind, the different is there but not much. 
- Bigger impact and more linear bass freq in PM-X2, bass hits harder, shorter decay. In PM-1 is slight more woolly sound, but also more relax bass presentation.
- Instrument is more distinct, slight more separation in PM-X2, perhaps due to wider soundstage effect, though the different is minor
- Indvidual instrument in PM-X2 is more resolving and sound more real, but PM-1 has more natural decay and transient, which is helping to create more lifelike presentation.

- PM-X2 has harder impact for treble area, like cymbal for example, its like the drum player hit it more aggresively, feel more energic in PM-X2. In PM-1 is more to polite behaviour, but still in a very good way.

- For vocal songs, I feel PM-1 has fuller mid, very lush, clear, and full bodied, making it has effect "the singer is there" better than PM-X2, also has more emotion too. PM-X2 while has clearer midrange and thicker lower mid, but at the same time it feels less full in midrange area. In Allan Taylor songs, his vocal could be too weighty, but less full than PM-1, and also could produce slight more sibilance than PM-1.

- For orchestra I think PM-X2 is really really excel, instrument sounds real, the speed is there, the impact is there, not the biggest soundstage in the world, but still spacious and very accurate placement! Also the musicality is still very great like the PM-1, making enjoying orchestra songs are very easy. I'd pick PM-X2 for this kind of songs over PM-1 or Mr. Speaker Ether actually.

- I'm about to say PM-X2 has blacker background, but the more I listen to it, the more I feel perhaps this due the slight brighter signature as both have very good black backgound
- Sound wise, after 2 hours listenend, I think I got slight more tired feeling in PM-X2, which is the thing I never experienced from PM-1. Both still very smooth sounding headphone though. (I can't listen to stock HD800 more than an hour straight unless in very low volume)

Conclusion:
PM-X2 is a huge improvement compare to stock PM-2, and I think it's really deserve a flagship status in headphone world. The differences with PM-1 are there, not hard to hear/feel it, though the different actually is not that far either, it's still sounds like Oppo headphone,you won't be mistaken by other headphone brands. Personally, none of them is better than each other, they're at the same level, but with different purpose.

YMMV of course 
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #118 of 393
PMX2 had more realistic trebles and better bass impact, so to me they are not the same.

I feel the PMX2 is closer to the PM2 than the PM1, and superceeds both in sonic quality.
I make no distinction about frequency response, but overall sound.

Also interesting is that the oppo PM2 (that I recently aquired) sonic presentation is more lush than the Mrspeakers Ether which to me is more reference.

So I am wondering if the PMX2 has same trait as stock PM2, or is more accurate like Ether.
Edit**
I just watched both videos here and now I understand why the stock PM2 sound that way..
:)

Anyways my point is that to me the PMx2 is way ahead of stock PM1 in terms of sonic quality.

Dec 29, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #119 of 393
So, I just received my pmx2 upgrade as a prize from RMAF. I also got a few hours of valuable instruction from Alex. Thank you Alex! The PMx2 sounds really good. Unfortunately it's sort of ruined my other headphones. Anyone recommend some closed cans that can match, or at least come close, to the PMx2? I did compare to the LCDs-CX and ether c. The ethers sound a bit thin, both in bass and vocals, to the pmx2. To me, the vocals on the XC sound quite harsh in comparison.

Max, the PMx2 is as accurate as it gets.

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #120 of 393
Just curious, since the pads aren't replaceable, what happens when the velour pads wear out? Alex, will you replace pads, if needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back