AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 3, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #6,211 of 10,196

I'll give the Z1R some time at Can Jam NY tomorrow and if it's sweet I'll buy it.

I will be very interested to read your impressions of the Z1R. I think it is the only possible upgrade for me. Well, maybe the Sonoma Acoustics 'stats :) My guess is that the NH with pleather pads will sound very close. With stock pads, instrument separation will be better on the NHs.

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #6,212 of 10,196
  For those in the USA needing to order earpads

https://shop.audioquest.com/

Thanks! Just ordered the protein leather pads to complete my collection 

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #6,213 of 10,196
  NH owners, what is your next upgrade? Are you going after Fostex Th900 / Z1R or possible some Audeze?

No upgrade for me, since I won't spend more than £1000 on a headphone, and I am completely satisfied with my NH anyway. Stax SR-009 would be my choice, if it did not cost a fortune.
I would rather experiment with higher-end DACs, but again, what can compete with Mojo SQ-wise under £1000? Looks like I found my perfect spot in the triangle of budget, SQ and personal preference. And I am quite happy right where I am. 
 I will still try other headphones and DACs purely out of curiosity, but I doubt I could get much better sound without spending painful thousands of £ or $.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #6,214 of 10,196
  I would rather experiment with higher-end DACs, but again, what can compete with Mojo SQ-wise under £1000? Looks like I found my perfect spot in the triangle of budget, SQ and personal preference. And I am quite happy right where I am. 
 I will still try other headphones and DACs purely out of curiosity, but I doubt I could get much better sound without spending painful thousands of £ or $.

Only thing I can think of that's an upgrade to the Mojo *under* £1000 is the Dangerous Music Source, but it's not portable and it's double the Mojo's price. $899 in the USA, probably £899 in the U.K.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #6,215 of 10,196
The NH doesn't really have an upgrade path.

Maybe the HD650 for micro detail and resolution but then you'd need a more expensive system to get the most out of them and the NH's bass is in s league of it's own.

I'd say the NH is similar to the 650 in that there's no direct upgrade path to that type of sound both seem to have a natural tuning.

The Mojo is a good device, I feel it's overrated on here though but in its own right it's good. I wouldn't see the need to upgrade unless you want to use the Mojo's solid DAC and run it out of something like a ZDS or another high end amp.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #6,216 of 10,196
Just worth mentioning the NightHawk are pairing quite well with iBasso's latest DAP the DX200 :)
Now I need a balanced cable to get the extra kick out of the 6V RMS vs 3V single ended!

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #6,217 of 10,196
   No upgrade for me, since I won't spend more than £1000 on a headphone, and I am completely satisfied with my NH anyway. Stax SR-009 would be my choice, if it did not cost a fortune.

I'm with you (and others). 

I'll probably get some of the other pads. And I will upgrade my DAC one of these days.

But as far as a headphones are concerned, I feel zero need to find an upgrade. Headphone upgrade-itis cured - thank you Nighthawks!

It also helps that many of you (who are much more experienced with higher-end headphones than myself) also continue to enjoy the NH's so much. So thank you all as well :)

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #6,219 of 10,196
I use the HA-2SE with an iPod.
The Oppo is about the size of an Android or iPhone and comes with 2 silicone bands to strap the 2 devices together. I sometimes use it with just the iPod and others times with line out from the Oppo (using the Oppo DAC) into a Garage 1217 tube amp.
The HA-2SE has been one of my best 'bang for the $$$' audio purchases in some time..............as well as the NH's!
Thnx. The NH's are terrific, thats for sure. And my lady likes them as well. Immediately praised the comfort.

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #6,220 of 10,196
Thnx. The NH's are terrific, thats for sure. And my lady likes them as well. Immediately praised the comfort.

Yes, the same with me. I ask my bride if she wants to give a listen and she reluctantly says " yeah, I'll listen to 1 song"..................an hour later............I might get my NH and Oppo HA-2SE back!!!

I know how good it sounds when 1) her eyes are closed, 2) her head is bobbing, and 3) her toes are tapping.............all 3 and I'm not getting my NH back any time soon!

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #6,221 of 10,196
Slightly off topic, but trying to find a highend cable usb a-b for my portable rig, something short.
I have a .75m AQ cable, and a 1.5m AQ cable, great cables, but way too long for just connecting to my phone to my iDSD. Otherwise I just use my DFR.

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #6,222 of 10,196
No upgrade for me either. I had the good fortune of only listening to one headphone when I bought the Nighthawks. Thought they sounded great and I am becoming more and more happy with them. I listent to them on my living room system, but I am looking for a dac/amp for under $1,000 for office use.

All suggestions welcome.

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #6,223 of 10,196
  No upgrades for me either! I'll probably pick-up the boost pads for a different tuning and a "brighter" headphone as a compliment. Probably the ZMF Classic or HD600.

While I had them, the HD700 was a great brother to the nighthawk. I recently sold them off after getting my iSine. Still a good compliment but not as stark a difference as the HD700 to the NH.

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #6,224 of 10,196
Hmmm, I bought the AKG 872, that wasn't an upgrade, even at double the price, great soundstage but a bit thin and bass light with boosted slightly strident mid treble. Bought the Focal Utopia, nice bass, awesome clarity and imagery, at the end of the day it sounded better out of my tube amps than my GS-X mk II because things sounded a bit aggressive going solid state, this is being discussed on the Utopia thread now. Problem is though while you gain treble smoothness and warmth going with tubes you lose SS clarity-wise with the trade-off. 

I let 18 people (mostly music industry) compare the NH with the Utopia and every single one preferred the NH.

I pre-ordered Mr. Speakers Aeon but i won't see it before May. 

LCD-4 is coming hard even though it's very heavy so I can't listen to it for long periods. Beautiful sound though. 

I'll give the Z1R some time at Can Jam NY tomorrow and if it's sweet I'll buy it.

But right now I don't know anything that an upgrade for me.

I think you'll like the Z1R. It's in the same ballpark as the NH in terms of sound signature but much better in my opinion. That's not a dig at the NH though as the Z1R is much more expensive.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #6,225 of 10,196
Yes, the same with me. I ask my bride if she wants to give a listen and she reluctantly says " yeah, I'll listen to 1 song"..................an hour later............I might get my NH and Oppo HA-2SE back!!!

I know how good it sounds when 1) her eyes are closed, 2) her head is bobbing, and 3) her toes are tapping.............all 3 and I'm not getting my NH back any time soon!
So an upgrade for us might mean a second Nighthawk, or a Nightowl! for our partners :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back