AZ Head-Fi Mini-Meet Impressions Thread (2024-2-17)
Feb 19, 2024 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

M3NTAL

Headphoneus Supremus
First and Foremost - thank you to our host @koover for your generosity and hospitality.

Alrighty - what you're here for - gear pictures.

IMG_2767.jpg
@Astral Abyss - Always has great combinations. The HEDD has made it to a couple meets now, it is always an eyebrow raiser. More positive than not. The timbre in interesting on them, but I do like how it does music. It was awesome that your wife came out! I feel like we all had a great time.

IMG_2768.jpgIMG_2770.jpg
@funch - all his own custom doings and modifications. The Gumby isn't stock either - "Gumbreya"
I can't say enough about what Funch brings to the hobby. Always amazing setups, always an amazing man.

IMG_2776.jpg
@CrocCap - Holo Spring fancy edition, F4 & KGSSHV, SR-007, HE-6, and ES Labs ES-1a.
I could live with any of the pairings. I think the SR-007 still has heart memories and I miss it a little.

IMG_2771.jpg
IMG_2772.jpg
IMG_2773.jpg
IMG_2775.jpg
@rollinbr
The "I could buy your house if I wanted" setup. This setup tugs my heartstrings. My current setup is the 'poor' person version, so I have somewhat of an idea what all the TOTL front-end brings to the table. Easy answer - it brings it on, just like the movie. It has been broughten.

IMG_2778.jpg
IMG_2777.jpg
@CinnamonToastCrunch
What a beautiful setup. I did most of my Dual-Sided Tungsten on this setup. Very rich without being overly-so. Seems like a modern production quality added to old school sound fundamentals. Good stuff and glad to meet you.

IMG_2774.jpg
@BzzzzzT
My homie - I learned that I like the Stax SR-507 and L-300 Limited more than I thought I would. Love your setup J. I event liked the shape of the keyboard, another new sensation locked in my mind. Sorry that ALF looks all messed up. Optical illusion from the optical mouse. :D Also thanks for bringing all kinds of other hobby treats.

IMG_2780.jpg
@SpeleoFool - and his wife brings a ton of stuff always. This meet, we got lucky and were treated to his wife's Schiit Stack. The Lyr + is awesome. I unfortunately slowed down on the picture taking and sped of on the herb infused chat around.

@Coolzo - DUDE! so glad you made it. I hope it was nice that you were able to hopefully relax more when you have less gear to be responsible for.

@donaldj68 - Glad you made it again. Friendly folk are always a plus at meets.

@BeardSplinter (Provided Sierra Nevada Pale ale and Deschutes Fresh Squeezed - man after my heart)
@4udio7ool (Provided Appleton, and has a gorgeous Miata)

I apologize for not getting photos of your gear. These two have their synergies dialed in; they understand their tastes and synergistic pairings that would work for them. Both awesome beard brothers to hang out with.

A few new faces came out and were cool as 4377. Thanks for being there - adds another dimension to the group. Awesome additions to our little crazy family in Arizona.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 58
Let's get some impressions crew.

1.) New band you learned about... (@funch had some funky electronic music that I need the name of)
2.) New/old piece of gear you lust for... (@rollinbr Sonic Frontiers Processor 3 and Susvara)
3.) Favorite part of the meet... (always the people - everyone speaks freely and genuinely... and we still make it through the purple haze)
4.) Doodads and Etc... (@SpeleoFool was mega pimpin' the Woo Audio Mini Tube as a full system in dongle form)
5.) Favorite beverage... (@BeardSplinter 's Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It's been a minute since I had the O.G. - bought a 12 pack today)
6.) Best looking piece of gear... (I have a few. @CinnamonToastCrunch 's Galion amplifier, @Astral Abyss 's @HeadAmpTeam GSX-Mini, @funch 's orange dream machine, @BzzzzzT 's USS Citadel, @BeardSplinter 's desktop setup with wheels. - I joke, it's a fully built DAP rig that would serve as a true desktop setup if wanted)
7.) Schiiit - I dunno, add whatever you feel like.

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 58
Damn, I missed the best mini meet yet it seems. These meets with just friends are the best. No stress, no vendors, just a good time. Almost always though, whenever something like this comes up, sure as schiit, work starts asking for me to travel, after 6 months of nothing... Grr... Always... Well, at least I get enough Overtime to pay off the TC in one trip...

Feb 20, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 58
I thought of you every time I looked at that table setup. You would've had a great time. It did seem like one of the great ones, but you've been apart of other greats too.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 58
I will roll with @M3NTAL points there.

1.) New band you learned about. - Whom Gods Destroy, thanks @kooveIll find some of my clean metal for you soon!
2.) New/old piece of gear you lust for. - Susvara, on @rollinbr stack I truly understand the hype.
3.) Favorite part of the meet. -All of the super friendly super kind people that attended!!
4.) Doodads and Etc. - Raal-Requisite - CA-1a What the ribbons... now, I know, and boy do they rock!!! This one hits way above its price imho.
5.) Favorite Beverage - Fresh Squeezed IPA, glad to hear the Sierra treats you right @M3NTAL check of the New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPAs too they are my fave.
6.) Best looking piece of gear. - That's tough with so much suave gear but I have to agree @CinnamonToastCrunch Galion amp was top notch!

Feb 20, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 58
I will roll with @M3NTAL points there.

1.) New band you learned about. - Whom Gods Destroy, thanks @kooveIll find some of my clean metal for you soon!
2.) New/old piece of gear you lust for. - Susvara, on @rollinbr stack I truly understand the hype.
3.) Favorite part of the meet. -All of the super friendly super kind people that attended!!
4.) Doodads and Etc. - Raal-Requisite - CA-1a What the ribbons... now, I know, and boy do they rock!!! This one hits way above its price imho.
5.) Favorite Beverage - Fresh Squeezed IPA, glad to hear the Sierra treats you right @M3NTAL check of the New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPAs too they are my fave.
6.) Best looking piece of gear. - That's tough with so much suave gear but I have to agree @CinnamonToastCrunch Galion amp was top notch!
Thanks man!

I totally spaced the CA-1a - it was awesome too. I 'forgot' because I know their new ones are going to be out of my league and that means the FOMO fever will drive me crazy :o2smile:

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #14 of 58
after some more side by side comparison, i still like the he6 over the tungsten. Tung has a part of the upper mids that sounds a bit off to me, somewhat artificial or just not matching with the rest of the sound.

rollinbr's rig with susvara and ca1a was superb, fav of the meet.
I'm not gonna lie that OG he6 does square off against the Tungsten. I would love to have listened to my playlist while A/B them on the same DAC/Amp setup!

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 58
Great mini meet! Big thanks to Greg for hosting and being a great host! It was nice to meet everyone and listen to every ones gear which I enjoyed.

Loved @CinnamonToastCrunch Galion amp paired with the Tungsten DS and @SpeleoFool Woo Audio Tube Mini. I'm still using a LH Labs Geek Out V+ when I travel light but it's not going to last forever.

P.S. I'll post more, I visited the Endodontist today. Had a tooth removed and a post inserted...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back