AZ Head-Fi Mini-Meet Impressions Thread (2024-2-17)
Feb 21, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #16 of 58
I had no idea what I was walking into having never participated in a meet or attended a canjam. I felt instantly welcomed and appreciate how down to earth everyone was at the meet. Thank you @koover for hosting - your accommodation was above and beyond and your HT/Cinema setup is just as fascinating as all the unique head-fi gear everyone lugged over. Thanks @SpeleoFool for vouching to get me invited.🙏 Having now experienced my first meet I've taken some mental notes on preparedness for the next one - mainly involving setup time required and adapter needs.

A lot of firsts for me at this meetup. So my impressions on the gear come with the limited experience of having owned Sennheiser 660s's, Arya V2'-V3's, 1266TC's:hearts:, and currently MAD24 CIEM's, and TungstenDS's which made an appearance at the meet.

This is the biggest take away - that if I had to summarize the overall experience would be - all the systems I got the pleasure of hearing sounded complete / well synergized in essence making them sound just right. It highlighted the best of this hobby which is, to find something you enjoy, and enjoy it.

First time hearing all the following and most immediate impressions:
Susvara - The rumors are true. These wowed me. I had to A/B vs the Tungsten a lot because I've heard many compare them and some preferred the Tung over them. I cant say that was the case for me. I A/B'd them on the stack I brought, the Wandla DAC + Galion TS120 + Zynsonix 8ohm adapter box since I am most familiar with it. To my surprise I felt more bass pressure with Susvara - and I would even say a touch more warmth than Tungsten. This was a consistent difference from track to track. I understand synergy with Susvara is really important and amp pairing has been a quest of time since the ancient greeks developed alchemy, but I absolutely would recommend others try the Galion TS120 with Sus as it sounded superb, rich, while remaining well layered and detailed. Pretty much exactly as I would describe how the TungDS sounds on it, albeit with slightly less warmth, and a little more air. If I was still looking to acquire more gear (which i'm not) - Susvara would be one I would like to spend a lot more time with. In offering my impressions to a Susvara owning friend of mine I stated there was about a 10% preference difference between the TungDS and Susvara - and the 10% difference could swing in favor of the Susvara or TungDS depending on the track. For me, I think more swung the way of Susvara.

RAAL CA1A - The Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold amp driving these felt like a really complete system. It felt well synergized, and kind of made me just focus on the music and not nit pick the technicals - fully competent in every way. Would love another go at these.

LCD-R - Stunning looking headphone - gorgeous, and feels premium all the way around. Sounded much more in line with my preferred sound (think TungstenDS) - If I was a headphone collector this would be one to keep around. Had good energy where I like it throughout the freq range, I think it's less airy than the TungstenDS, but possibly a bit more body, and not quite as resolving as Tungsten - but its detailed and smooth at the same time. Also, did I mention it's gorgeous.

LCD-4 - Yeah not so much - I wasn't feeling this one. I've previously heard the LCD-4Z and vaguely remember putting it close to the top of my prefered sound list (but still a good distance from the top) but having just listened to the LCD-R - the LCD-4 felt way more relaxed - maybe even recessed like I was sitting in a lounge chair, It was too laid back for me. (Perhaps an attenuation issue? - I'll leave my opinion open on this until I hear it again.)

Austrian Audio Composer - I listened to these briefly on the GSX-Mini and it felt somewhat mediocre - just middle of the road in all attributes - aside from the comfort which was a stand out feature. I hung them up, but later while they were connected to the McChanson Mini Gold - WOW, these things were probably the most dynamic well "composed" headphones I've heard. Incredibly clean, maybe a touch shy on the bass, but that's more of a preference of mine. I could see myself listening to these for hours on this amp as it was truly a unique experience and enjoyable. I'm thinking classical/symphony type music would be dynamite with this rig and reveal new levels of depth which come with the deep black background these offer. It wasn't until after the meet I looked them up and realized their sound matched their price tag.

Fostex TH-616 - I heard these on "The stack of Schiit" - I could hear an elevated noise floor but with that came waves of rushing bass layering over me. It was the most bass heavy set I heard at the meet. The bass was relatively clean sounding, and the rest of the range was nicely voiced to give it a very, very (yes I said it twice) FUN sound overall. It did in fact bring a smile to my face because it was pure fun.

Empyrean Liric - In some way's, a more mature TH-616. Lower noise floor, more clarity, similar bass but cleaner. Wouldn't call it ultra resolving but had a good clean mid range which made it exciting for listening for midrange details that you dont often hear pronounced in such a way.

HEDD One - Odd fitting, but surprisingly comfortable. I listened to these on the Wandla/Galion stack and they were impressive. They reminded me a bit of the LCD-R. The weight and fit of them was the biggest draw back. While expecting some faults in FR due to the design quirkiness, I was unable find any and came away with nothing but respect for their sound.

ES Labs ES-1a - One of the first EStats I've listened to. Biggest stand out was how clean it sounded. More resolving and detailed than the SR-007.

SR-007 - I preferred this smooth and wider sound over the ES-1a's more refined details. Being new to estats it was good to be able to hear a clear difference between them. Not sure if I was hearing the dynamics im used to from either of the etsats I listened to. Would love to hear them again.

HE500 - These sounded great on the Wandla/Galion stack. Very much reminded me of the Sus/TungDS/LCD-R. I think a bit less resolving with a smaller soundstage and less air but for the money an outstanding offering.

Now onto the only headphone I had heard once before the meet

DCA Stealth - I heard these headphones on an Naim Uniti ATOM once before - and it was the most safe sounding headphone and by safe I mostly mean boring. At the meet I plugged it into the Wandla/Galion stack and I was expecting to hear what I remembered, but to my delight these sounded awesome. They were deeply dynamic from the Galion and had a treated room/speaker-esk sound to them with deep damped and black background. It was most unexpected and wishing now I had more time with them to hear more what they were capable of on this amp. Being that I have a preference for high energy highs without sibilance i'm not certain they could be my one and only as I could almost feel Sean Olive grinning as these headphones tracked the "harmon target" without skipping a beat.

That concludes my impressions of what I had a meaningful moment with (gear wise). I realized now I missed out of some other great gear at the meet as I had to cut it short and leave early so hopefully.. next time.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 5:35 AM Post #17 of 58
after some more side by side comparison, i still like the he6 over the tungsten. Tung has a part of the upper mids that sounds a bit off to me, somewhat artificial or just not matching with the rest of the sound.

rollinbr's rig with susvara and ca1a was superb, fav of the meet.
I didn't see anyone try the hybrid pads while at the meet, at least on the TungDS i brought. It's pretty drastic how much a change in sound the hybrids make, and I would say they do impact the upper mid region. Next time you have a chance try them with the hybrid pads if you haven't already. The UP pads, especially with the cloth mod provide high energy/ high detail upper mids and highs which probably is not for everyone. The hybrids soften and damp a lot of that extra energy.

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #18 of 58
Guys, I had an incredible time and probably the best time yet and that includes the big meets too. I don’t know, this particular group just jived. Same group was here but the new faces added just the right amount of “right” to make this meet the best one yet.

Next meet though……..does anyone even know I have gear (a lot actually) that is kept buried deep in this dark dank dungeon of a room, back of the house that NO ONE goes in to? Yep. My friend Allen, yes, you may have seen him by his gear by himself IN MY ROOM. He was back there. lol. Where was I? Oh I don’t know. Here’s the deal. Next mini when walking in the door, I will hand out tickets for a “tube”. You can buy tickets for a vacuum tube. Each ticket is for a specific piece of equipment I own. Hand me a ticket and you listen to your choice of gear. But wait, that’s not it. You will need multiple tickets to listen to everything. I mean if you want to listen to headphones with a DAC and amp, cables, and possibly a turntable, it’s costing you 4-5 of your damn tickets, per song!!!. A tube for a ticket. At the end of meet, I’ll mix all tickets, pull one out and someone will win a huge stuffed animal. Nope, I’m THAT generous. But? No one will win because I think everyone believes I just host this thing as everyone thinks, what? he has gear!! lol.
If this is the direction I gotta go to get you guys listening or just LOOKING at my gear? Fing A. People will be walking outta here with big ass purple pigs and rlephants. Think I’m kidding? Hahaha.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #19 of 58
My cave.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 21, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #21 of 58
after some more side by side comparison, i still like the he6 over the tungsten. Tung has a part of the upper mids that sounds a bit off to me, somewhat artificial or just not matching with the rest of the sound.

rollinbr's rig with susvara and ca1a was superb, fav of the meet.
This was a good battle and I think there is some truth in this. Tungsten kind of goes another direction with smoothness
I'm not gonna lie that OG he6 does square off against the Tungsten. I would love to have listened to my playlist while A/B them on the same DAC/Amp setup!
Was a cool A/B. The Susvara still stood out in the true planar headphones at the meet for me.
I had no idea what I was walking into having never participated in a meet or attended a canjam. I felt instantly welcomed and appreciate how down to earth everyone was at the meet. Thank you @koover for hosting - your accommodation was above and beyond and your HT/Cinema setup is just as fascinating as all the unique head-fi gear everyone lugged over. Thanks @SpeleoFool for vouching to get me invited.🙏 Having now experienced my first meet I've taken some mental notes on preparedness for the next one - mainly involving setup time required and adapter needs.

A lot of firsts for me at this meetup. So my impressions on the gear come with the limited experience of having owned Sennheiser 660s's, Arya V2'-V3's, 1266TC's:hearts:, and currently MAD24 CIEM's, and TungstenDS's which made an appearance at the meet.

This is the biggest take away - that if I had to summarize the overall experience would be - all the systems I got the pleasure of hearing sounded complete / well synergized in essence making them sound just right. It highlighted the best of this hobby which is, to find something you enjoy, and enjoy it.

First time hearing all the following and most immediate impressions:
Susvara - The rumors are true. These wowed me. I had to A/B vs the Tungsten a lot because I've heard many compare them and some preferred the Tung over them. I cant say that was the case for me. I A/B'd them on the stack I brought, the Wandla DAC + Galion TS120 + Zynsonix 8ohm adapter box since I am most familiar with it. To my surprise I felt more bass pressure with Susvara - and I would even say a touch more warmth than Tungsten. This was a consistent difference from track to track. I understand synergy with Susvara is really important and amp pairing has been a quest of time since the ancient greeks developed alchemy, but I absolutely would recommend others try the Galion TS120 with Sus as it sounded superb, rich, while remaining well layered and detailed. Pretty much exactly as I would describe how the TungDS sounds on it, albeit with slightly less warmth, and a little more air. If I was still looking to acquire more gear (which i'm not) - Susvara would be one I would like to spend a lot more time with. In offering my impressions to a Susvara owning friend of mine I stated there was about a 10% preference difference between the TungDS and Susvara - and the 10% difference could swing in favor of the Susvara or TungDS depending on the track. For me, I think more swung the way of Susvara.

RAAL CA1A - The Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold amp driving these felt like a really complete system. It felt well synergized, and kind of made me just focus on the music and not nit pick the technicals - fully competent in every way. Would love another go at these.

LCD-R - Stunning looking headphone - gorgeous, and feels premium all the way around. Sounded much more in line with my preferred sound (think TungstenDS) - If I was a headphone collector this would be one to keep around. Had good energy where I like it throughout the freq range, I think it's less airy than the TungstenDS, but possibly a bit more body, and not quite as resolving as Tungsten - but its detailed and smooth at the same time. Also, did I mention it's gorgeous.

LCR-4 - Yeah not so much - I wasn't feeling this one. I've previously heard the LCD-4Z and vaguely remember putting it close to the top of my prefered sound list (but still a good distance from the top) but having just listened to the LCD-R - the LCD-4 felt way more relaxed - maybe even recessed like I was sitting in a lounge chair, It was too laid back for me. (Perhaps an attenuation issue? - I'll leave my opinion open on this until I hear it again.)

Austrian Audio Composer - I listened to these briefly on the GSX-Mini and it felt somewhat mediocre - just middle of the road in all attributes - aside from the comfort which was a stand out feature. I hung them up, but later while they were connected to the McChanson Mini Gold - WOW, these things were probably the most dynamic well "composed" headphones I've heard. Incredibly clean, maybe a touch shy on the bass, but that's more of a preference of mine. I could see myself listening to these for hours on this amp as it was truly a unique experience and enjoyable. I'm thinking classical/symphony type music would be dynamite with this rig and reveal new levels of depth which come with the deep black background these offer. It wasn't until after the meet I looked them up and realized their sound matched their price tag.

Fostex TH-616 - I heard these on "The stack of Schiit" - I could hear an elevated noise floor but with that came waves of rushing bass layering over me. It was the most bass heavy set I heard at the meet. The bass was relatively clean sounding, and the rest of the range was nicely voiced to give it a very, very (yes I said it twice) FUN sound overall. It did in fact bring a smile to my face because it was pure fun.

Empyrean Liric - In some way's, a more mature TH-616. Lower noise floor, more clarity, similar bass but cleaner. Wouldn't call it ultra resolving but had a good clean mid range which made it exciting for listening for midrange details that you dont often hear pronounced in such a way.

HEDD One - Odd fitting, but surprisingly comfortable. I listened to these on the Wandla/Galion stack and they were impressive. They reminded me a bit of the LCD-R. The weight and fit of them was the biggest draw back. While expecting some faults in FR due to the design quirkiness, I was unable find any and came away with nothing but respect for their sound.

ES Labs ES-1a - One of the first EStats I've listened to. Biggest stand out was how clean it sounded. More resolving and detailed than the SR-007.

SR-007 - I preferred this smooth and wider sound over the ES-1a's more refined details. Being new to estats it was good to be able to hear a clear difference between them. Not sure if I was hearing the dynamics im used to from either of the etsats I listened to. Would love to hear them again.

HE500 - These sounded great on the Wandla/Galion stack. Very much reminded me of the Sus/TungDS/LCD-R. I think a bit less resolving with a smaller soundstage and less air but for the money an outstanding offering.

Now onto the only headphone I had heard once before the meet

DCA Stealth - I heard these headphones on an Naim Uniti ATOM once before - and it was the most safe sounding headphone and by safe I mostly mean boring. At the meet I plugged it into the Wandla/Galion stack and I was expecting to hear what I remembered, but to my delight these sounded awesome. They were deeply dynamic from the Galion and had a treated room/speaker-esk sound to them with deep damped and black background. It was most unexpected and wishing now I had more time with them to hear more what they were capable of on this amp. Being that I have a preference for high energy highs without sibilance i'm not certain they could be my one and only as I could almost feel Sean Olive grinning as these headphones tracked the "harmon target" without skipping a beat.

That concludes my impressions of what I had a meaningful moment with (gear wise). I realized now I missed out of some other great gear at the meet as I had to cut it short and leave early so hopefully.. next time.
Awesome to hear you had a good time. It was great that you came out. Heck of a review there - it seems like our tastes align a bit. I didn't get to hear all the DCA headphones, but I think I listened to the semi-open back ones. They reminded me of the O.G. Dan Clark tuning.

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #22 of 58
Ok while everyone is reading, slap this bad boy on. It’s not in my comfort zone but these guys are just drop dead incredible. This is the band I was talking about. 3 men. Here’s a video worth watching all the way thru. You will deeply appeeciate the musicianship and then that drum solo to wrap things up? Guys, this is what we do, what music is about and with headphones.

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #24 of 58
Ok while everyone is reading, slap this bad boy on. It’s not in my comfort zone but these guys are just drop dead incredible. This is the band I was talking about. 3 men. Here’s a video worth watching all the way thru. You will deeply appeeciate the musicianship and then that drum solo to wrap things up? Guys, this is what we do, what music is about and with headphones.

I love sharing music, this was such a damn good track. Hats off to the musicians, but even more so to the tech that mic'd those drums that was mint. Listening to my music after a track like that makes them feel so flat in stage scope.

You might appreciate this one @koover

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #26 of 58
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #29 of 58
@funch - I unfortunately got a VERY very short amount of time with two amps I keep meaning to listen to. Two XRK971 portable amplifiers I knew the one I heard in the past was a Class A and that I had enjoyed it, but I had a different goal at that meet - 'amplifiers for a Campfire Andromeda' I've since acquired a McChanson Whisper amplifier that is a single stage tube amp that is meant for silence on these types of sensitive headphones. Since then, I've moved to headphones and the headphones I tested the new diamond buffer pocket amp from XRK wasn't the best headphone to sus-out a new amplifier. I thought it sounded good, but the front-end on that system was TOTL type stuff. The Class-A with built-in dac would be a killer little system. Curious how it would compare to the Magni Unity as a complete system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back