Best alternative headphones to HD600?
Apr 29, 2019 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

bladefd

500+ Head-Fier
Hello!

I have a pair of HD600 that I find uncomfortable to wear. Initially, the discomfort was around my ears and top of my head. To solve that, I bought Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam earpads, which solved ear discomfort (pads are still small so a bit of a hassle trying to adjust). I replaced the headband cushion, but I cannot get rid of the clamping.. It hurts top of my head, and I'm not sure what to do.

I am embarrassed to say this, but I have been using these headphones like speakers for over last 2 years - I have decent amp so I can do it, but what's the point? It takes all benefits of “head”phones away haha. I love the sound of these, but I feel like comfort is more important to me as I get older. These are too uncomfortable and heavy on my head. I think I have no choice but to move onto a different pair of headphones.

Only other pair of audiophile headphones I have used in past are an old 1980s Beyerdynamic DT880, which are now sitting around on my headphone stand (never tried selling them - not sure if they have any value). I don't use them because I don't like the 1980s style - headbands are not good and not flexible at all. I have no idea how people used these 30+ years ago lol. I guess I am open to buying a 2010s style of DT880 if someone suggests that. DT880 is definitely much more comfortable than HD600.

What other options do I have available that are lighter, more comfortable and have very good sound for under $300 (or around $300 if I can find an used pair for cheap)? Thanks! :)

Other relevant info:
-I'm willing to try IEMs but problem is you cannot return those.. I am also willing to try bluetooth or RF wireless headphones.
-I mostly listen to soft rock, classical and pop music.. Not really into rap or jazz or hard rock or country or soul..
-I'm willing to buy an used pair. I might have to replace the pads but it's an option.. I obviously don't have a lot of money to spend.
-I do occasional gaming but certainly not a hardcore gamer like in my younger days 4-5yrs ago.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 38
What you need is a different style of headphones. Something like the audio technica ad700 (but not specifically these). I had to look around a bit for something that was actually comfy and sounded good myself but having those extra pad below the headband helps a lot. Personally the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn were a pair sony mdr F1s. I would recommend looking for something with this design that has no fancy gimmics.

Apr 29, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 38
Hello!

I have a pair of HD600 that I find uncomfortable to wear. Initially, the discomfort was around my ears and top of my head. To solve that, I bought Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam earpads, which solved ear discomfort (pads are still small so a bit of a hassle trying to adjust). I replaced the headband cushion, but I cannot get rid of the clamping.. It hurts top of my head, and I'm not sure what to do.

I am embarrassed to say this, but I have been using these headphones like speakers for over last 2 years - I have decent amp so I can do it, but what's the point? It takes all benefits of “head”phones away haha. I love the sound of these, but I feel like comfort is more important to me as I get older. These are too uncomfortable and heavy on my head. I think I have no choice but to move onto a different pair of headphones.

Only other pair of audiophile headphones I have used in past are an old 1980s Beyerdynamic DT880, which are now sitting around on my headphone stand (never tried selling them - not sure if they have any value). I don't use them because I don't like the 1980s style - headbands are not good and not flexible at all. I have no idea how people used these 30+ years ago lol. I guess I am open to buying a 2010s style of DT880 if someone suggests that. DT880 is definitely much more comfortable than HD600.

What other options do I have available that are lighter, more comfortable and have very good sound for under $300 (or around $300 if I can find an used pair for cheap)? Thanks! :)

Other relevant info:
-I'm willing to try IEMs but problem is you cannot return those.. I am also willing to try bluetooth or RF wireless headphones.
-I mostly listen to soft rock, classical and pop music.. Not really into rap or jazz or hard rock or country or soul..
-I'm willing to buy an used pair. I might have to replace the pads but it's an option.. I obviously don't have a lot of money to spend.
-I do occasional gaming but certainly not a hardcore gamer like in my younger days 4-5yrs ago.

The new AKG K612 might be comfy and simmilarish to your HD 600. Though it likely won't be as detailed though your using your HD 600 as a speaker now so detail may not be an issue, comfort wise I loved my DT 880 Pro for many many years, even put the ear pads onto my Hifiman HE 4 an continued to use them after I sold the DT 880

In terms of sound DT 880 AKG K6/7 and HD 600 are all kinda different.

There are also some folks who like the sound of the Custom Grado Style Build over HD 600, so those tend to be super light weight and with G Crush Pads [the salad bowl pads] the comfort is quite good. Plus they don't weight much at all

@DavidA would be a good person to ask about what "Grado Style" Driver/Build would compare to the HD 600 in terms of sound.

Apr 29, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 38
Soundmagic HP200 (open) or HP151 (closed) headphones.
The HP200 is like a cross between the DT880/DT990, the HP151 is like the DT770 (both closed), with some DT880 thrown in.

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 38

Apr 30, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 38
I'll second Monsterzero's video, if you haven't already tried that.
Also, have you tried extending the arms further? This is my experience (and granted, my head is probably a different shape from yours) with the HD 650: you should be able to extend the arms far enough that the bottom of the earcup is resting near your jawline, below your ear. The headphones should be supported almost entirely by their clamping force, with almost not pressure at all at the crown of your head.

...Though, re-reading your post, if you find the earcups too small you might just be a much bigger person than I am, in which case I got nothing for you.

Apr 30, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 38
My sister had a problem with the clamp as well, I used the Tyll method, fully extending the metal and then bending outwards at the center of the headband, carefully. That fixed the problem for her, though if the headband is bothering you, perhaps the 2-bumps on the 6XX/650, 58X, and 660S might work better? Removing the bit of foam at the center helps some people. I personally hate the comfort of the stock pads, so I switched my 600 to the Dekoni Hybrids. Honestly, even with the slight screen on the high-end (Dekoni's own measurements), I still could hear the smoothness of the 600 vs the 660 during A/B testing.

Alternatively, for probably the same price new (before mods), there's the Fostex T60RP. They're not as flat, in fact, with the stock pads, I found them a touch too bright when paired with dead neutral amps (the 789), even though I loved the midrange and bass extension, but with the BasX and/or ZMF Sheepskins, I find them much more enjoyable. T60's are heavier than the 600's though, and even with the comfort strap, it's noticeable. Plus, the T60's can take all the power you can throw at them. For just musical enjoyment, I really like the T60RP, and I find myself reaching for my pair more frequently when I'm trying to relax.

If you need a neutral headphone for critical listening, reference, or mixing, the 600 is probably worth keeping in your stable IMO. But if you're just listening for fun, perhaps try some different pad options out there, replace the 4-bumps with the 2-bump padding on the headband (or swap a 58X etc. headband), or trying out a different pair of headphones might be worth your time?

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 38

Fully extend the metal arms.

Bend one metal arm in the opposite direction at the middle, then do the other side, then go back to the first side but bend outward near the gimbal, then do that to the other side too, holding at each section for 10seconds. Repeat and cycle through all points until the clamp is relaxed.

Other relevant info:

HiFiMan HE400S

Apr 30, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 38
The new AKG K612 might be comfy and simmilarish to your HD 600. Though it likely won't be as detailed though your using your HD 600 as a speaker now so detail may not be an issue, comfort wise I loved my DT 880 Pro for many many years, even put the ear pads onto my Hifiman HE 4 an continued to use them after I sold the DT 880

In terms of sound DT 880 AKG K6/7 and HD 600 are all kinda different.

There are also some folks who like the sound of the Custom Grado Style Build over HD 600, so those tend to be super light weight and with G Crush Pads [the salad bowl pads] the comfort is quite good. Plus they don't weight much at all

@DavidA would be a good person to ask about what "Grado Style" Driver/Build would compare to the HD 600 in terms of sound.

Honestly, it doesn't have to be same exact sound signature.. Only thing I don't like is too much bass or too much treble - I like a fairly balanced quality sound with decent soundstage (I listen to classical music and soft rock/pop).

Grado may be worth considering but wouldn't they be pretty expensive to customize?? I like the idea of having light headphones -- as much as I love the HD600, they feel heavy on the head.

One other option is for me to sell my HD600 and add a little bit of money to that and get something decent. Not sure how much these HD600 are worth with Brainwavz HM5 velour 2yrs old and top pads replaced a year ago (no warranty ofc).

I'm not sure that will help the feeling that the HD600 are pushing down on my head from top. It starts to hurt right along the top of my head rather than the sides.

According to this Google image from Razer, it's called suspension force rather than clamping force:
c451ce7d913fb4ba398dcddd2eaebbdc-comfort_img.png

I never even heard of suspension force - Razer may have just made up that term.. At least you can see where the issue lies. The headphone essentially pushes down hard against my cranial.

Apr 30, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 38
I read every post btw. I haven't quoted everyone but do note I will consider every post.

I'll second Monsterzero's video, if you haven't already tried that.
Also, have you tried extending the arms further? This is my experience (and granted, my head is probably a different shape from yours) with the HD 650: you should be able to extend the arms far enough that the bottom of the earcup is resting near your jawline, below your ear. The headphones should be supported almost entirely by their clamping force, with almost not pressure at all at the crown of your head.

...Though, re-reading your post, if you find the earcups too small you might just be a much bigger person than I am, in which case I got nothing for you.

I have big ears! As far as extending the arms, wouldn't the headphones just hang by jawlines if I extended them that much??

My sister had a problem with the clamp as well, I used the Tyll method, fully extending the metal and then bending outwards at the center of the headband, carefully. That fixed the problem for her, though if the headband is bothering you, perhaps the 2-bumps on the 6XX/650, 58X, and 660S might work better? Removing the bit of foam at the center helps some people. I personally hate the comfort of the stock pads, so I switched my 600 to the Dekoni Hybrids. Honestly, even with the slight screen on the high-end (Dekoni's own measurements), I still could hear the smoothness of the 600 vs the 660 during A/B testing.

Alternatively, for probably the same price new (before mods), there's the Fostex T60RP. They're not as flat, in fact, with the stock pads, I found them a touch too bright when paired with dead neutral amps (the 789), even though I loved the midrange and bass extension, but with the BasX and/or ZMF Sheepskins, I find them much more enjoyable. T60's are heavier than the 600's though, and even with the comfort strap, it's noticeable. Plus, the T60's can take all the power you can throw at them. For just musical enjoyment, I really like the T60RP, and I find myself reaching for my pair more frequently when I'm trying to relax.

If you need a neutral headphone for critical listening, reference, or mixing, the 600 is probably worth keeping in your stable IMO. But if you're just listening for fun, perhaps try some different pad options out there, replace the 4-bumps with the 2-bump padding on the headband (or swap a 58X etc. headband), or trying out a different pair of headphones might be worth your time?

Fostex T60 sounds interesting - just around my range, I could still look for lightly used. I'm not a fan of extra weight though. How's the clamping and suspension force (pushing down into cranial) versus 600?

I only listen for fun and don't do critical listening/mixing/etc. I will probably attach my Antlion modmic to whatever headphone I buy and do occasional gaming.

Would a 58x headband easily slide in? That might be cheap and worth trying.

Fully extend the metal arms.

Bend one metal arm in the opposite direction at the middle, then do the other side, then go back to the first side but bend outward near the gimbal, then do that to the other side too, holding at each section for 10seconds. Repeat and cycle through all points until the clamp is relaxed.

HiFiMan HE400S

HE400s is well within my range. I can buy new. How's the weight, pads, and clamping/suspension force?

I remember the HE400 used to have quality assurance issues or something some years back. All good now?

Apr 30, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 38
Any wireless headphones worth trying?? I tried a bunch of bluetooth headphones in 2016 but didn't find anything worth the insane cost. Not sure if anything has changed much in 3 years.

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 38
I have big ears! As far as extending the arms, wouldn't the headphones just hang by jawlines if I extended them that much??
Sorry, I really didn't mean to cause offense.

Yes, the headphones will be further down your head, but some of the weight should be supported by the ear cups rather than the head strap. Adjust the headphones to fit your head rather than trying to squeeze your head into the headphones. Maybe I overstated my case earlier-- there won't be no pressure on the top of your head, but it should be less than if the arms aren't extended.

Also, I've never heard of suspension force before. That's a good term. Very useful.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #14 of 38
Sorry, I really didn't mean to cause offense.

Yes, the headphones will be further down your head, but some of the weight should be supported by the ear cups rather than the head strap. Adjust the headphones to fit your head rather than trying to squeeze your head into the headphones. Maybe I overstated my case earlier-- there won't be no pressure on the top of your head, but it should be less than if the arms aren't extended.

Also, I've never heard of suspension force before. That's a good term. Very useful.

I know you didn't mean to cause offense. I was joking lol but I do have slightly big ears.

I will certainly try that though! Keep in mind I can't bring it too far down without the top of my ears pushing against the pads at top.

Apr 30, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 38
Hopefully it'll work! I meant to add that it's only a suggestion, nothing guaranteed, but got so frustrated trying to edit on my phone that I forgot to say it. Derp.
Just adjust till it's comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back