Best headphones (and amp/dac for vocals (pop, ballads) ASAP
Nov 25, 2012 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

god alien

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi community. I am planning upgrade my current headphones (Sennheiser HD595/no amp), and I am looking to spend no more than $700 (headphones alone). I really enjoy the signature sound of my 595, and I would like to buy something that sounds similar but better of course. I like the airy sound that it provides as an open hp, and I also like the forwardness it has from the mids to the highs. I don't care much about the lower end (bass) but its always nice to have good balance. I also would like something that is not too hard to drive, so that I don't have to spend too much in a high power amp. From what I have been reading, some of my possible options are:

Shure SRH-1440 
Shure SRH-1840
HIFIman HE-400
Sennheiser... (Hard to drive from what I have read; do recommend one if you consider it necessary).

From what I have read, the 1440s are really good hp for vocals because of its forward mids. What I am worried about is that it may be too bright (I don't really know much about levels of brightness so I am not sure if this would be something good or bad for me). Personally I think the 595s are relatively bright and I enjoy it, specially because its coupled with that airness of an open hp. It makes vocals and instruments sound more alive and detailed. 
Now, the 1840 appeal me not only because of their look and build, or the fact that they are the flagship Shure hp, but because they seem to have a more balanced sound, and this would eliminate the possibility of overly aggressive highs (which seem to be an issue with the 1440s for some people). However, I am worried that I would prefer the more forward mids that the 1440 have, but I wouldn't mind a more musical sound (1840). Both seem good for vocals to me, but I think that the 1440s are more similar to the 595 than the 1840 are, sonically. I would like your feedback on this, as I think that both Shure headphones have more forward mids than the 595, but the 1840 mids seem darker or laid back when compared directly to the 1440. Once again, if that's the case, it leads me to believe that the 1440 mids might be too forward (hopefully my point is understandable). I would also like a soundstage similar or better (more enjoyable for vocals) than the 595.

The HIFIman HE-400 are a different story. Yes I have read that they are very good for what they cost. Yes I have even read about them being better than most headphones around that price range (if not the best) and beyond. But I have also read about the 4 revisions that have been released since launch. Four revisions. Two of them with issues and flaws. I have also read about people complaining about the costumer service and how they have waited months just to receive their replacement. First of all, I don't want to buy a pair of headphones this expensive, just to see how 2 more revisions are released before 2013, or even beyond. That in my opinion is just unacceptable. I am not saying its wrong, After all, HIFIman is just trying to correct some of the production or manufacturing errors in order to improve their products. But I don't expect high end (relatively) headphones to have major flaws in the first place. I normally wouldn't mind much about the brand or company history, but this is just going too far. I want reliable headphones that will last for a good amount of time, without the company releasing new versions every year. That just shows a lack of research, development and testing. Moving on to the sound, I have read that the 400s are really good overall headphones but I am not so sure about them being better than the Shure's for vocals. After all they seem to have less forward mids in comparison and more pronounced bass. Actually, I was very disappointed when I looked at the FR chart and saw the huge drop between 1000 and 10000 Hz. I am not sure how will that affect sound but to me it seems that vocals won't sound as impressive.

This is by no means a hate thread (towards HIFIman or anything like it. I am just laying down my opinions so that more experienced users can help me reach a decision. 

Now lets talk about amps/dacs (USB).
To sum it up, I want something that of course, makes vocals and related genres sound better. Furthermore I want something that doesn't cost too much (around $150 max). Also, it has to be a good match for whichever headphone you might recommend. I don't care much about portability as I will use it with my desktop and it will stay there. From what I have read, my options could be:

Fiio E17
HRT headstreamer

As a side note, I also play a lot of video games and watch movies/tv shows on my computer, so it would be nice if the headphone/amp combination also performs well on this area. However, music is my priority. Some of the artist I listen to the most are: Adele, Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Maroon 5, FUN, Katy Perry, Christina Perri, One Direction, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, etc.

I would like to get some experienced feedback asap, as there are some good deals and coupons that I would like take advantage of. Feel free to recommend other products too. Thanks.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 16
Not really an excuse, but I sort of expect some sort of QC problems from such a small company The revision thing left a bad taste in my mouth at first, even though my rev.2 was fine, but the way they handled it was superb. Probably won't have to worry about it anymore, since they've got the consistency nailed down. 

Regarding the headphones, the SRH1840 are still bright, but definitely not aggressive. From what I remember, soundstage size was about the same, but the SRH1840 were a bit deeper. I won't say anything more on them, since I'm sort of biased against them.

I think the HE-400 or the HD650 might be better for your music. The HiFiMANs excel at electronic, bassy stuff, without over-emphasizing it (pretty flat response, just that the bass is so immensely clear and detail), while the HD650 may do better with vocals, etc. Since you can go up to 700, I'd get an O2+ODAC, or an Asgard+ODAC.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
Not really an excuse, but I sort of expect some sort of QC problems from such a small company The revision thing left a bad taste in my mouth at first, even though my rev.2 was fine, but the way they handled it was superb. Probably won't have to worry about it anymore, since they've got the consistency nailed down. 

Regarding the headphones, the SRH1840 are still bright, but definitely not aggressive. From what I remember, soundstage size was about the same, but the SRH1840 were a bit deeper. I won't say anything more on them, since I'm sort of biased against them.

I think the HE-400 or the HD650 might be better for your music. The HiFiMANs excel at electronic, bassy stuff, without over-emphasizing it (pretty flat response, just that the bass is so immensely clear and detail), while the HD650 may do better with vocals, etc. Since you can go up to 700, I'd get an O2+ODAC, or an Asgard+ODAC.

Thank you for your response. Why are you biased against the 1840s if I may ask? Also, the thing I don't like about the higher end Senns is that they are pretty hard to drive, thus using any portable devices (cellphone, ipod, etc) with them is out of question. I would like to know if they (namely the HD600/650) are much better than the Shures for vocals or they just sound different. I have read that the Senns can be too warm or veiled for vocals. Also, could I use a Fiio e17 to properly drive the HD650? The fact that I am willing to spend up to that much doesn't necessarily mean that I want to spend that much. However, I am willing to do it if its definitely worth it.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
Thank you for your response. Why are you biased against the 1840s if I may ask? Also, the thing I don't like about the higher end Senns is that they are pretty hard to drive, thus using any portable devices (cellphone, ipod, etc) with them is out of question. I would like to know if they (namely the HD600/650) are much better than the Shures for vocals or they just sound different. I have read that the Senns can be too warm or veiled for vocals. Also, could I use a Fiio e17 to properly drive the HD650? The fact that I am willing to spend up to that much doesn't necessarily mean that I want to spend that much. However, I am willing to do it if its definitely worth it.

Well, the Shure aren't really that much easier to drive than the Senns. I heard them both out of an Asgard, and it was pretty good. Switched to a C421, and there wasn't much left to be desired.

I just don't like them. Heard them twice, just not my cup of tea. A bit etched and anemic. Also weirdly bright (and I like bright stuff). The Senns are amazing for vocals, cohesive and smooth. The Shures were a bit leaner. I'm sure others who actually own them will have a different, probably more accurate view. So take that with a huge grain of salt. Probably not qualified to speak about them, so you can safely ignore my comments
biggrin.gif

The E17 drives the HE-400 fine. Hell, even the E10 does. You might want something more, again, like the O2+ODAC combo, for the HD6X0/SRH1x40, at least that's what the specs would suggest.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 16
I'm in a similar boat with slightly different tastes. Looking for good headphones/amp combo to spend some of my tax check on in a couple months, trying to keep it under $600. I've previously owned Grado SR80/SR60 and Beyerdynamics DT880 pro 250 ohm. The Grados were fun with good clarity and dynamics but reminded me of a metal dome mini monitor type sound with peaky highs, a bumped up mid bass and no low bass at all. The Beyers were more like a good full range with a silk dome. Smooth highs, good mids (but maybe lacked a little body, but never had them amped properly) and deep extended bass that was perfectly satisfying though I wouldn't mind a touch more low end impact. I had to sell them not long ago after our ex roommate ditched on rent.

Now I'm looking to get something at least as good and an amp. Of course the first thought was DT880 or DT990 Premium 600 ohm Manufakture (custom color/options) which would run about $470 and a Little Dot MK III or Bellari HA540 but that puts me over budget though I could go for the regular headphone versions. Semi-closed or closed headphones are preferred. Also looking at:

Beyerdynamic T70P: Only 35 ohm means I can go for a cheaper Little Dot 1+ but still pushes budget. May need the Beyer gel pads for proper isolation and full bass response, supposedly a step up from the DT series, on sale it's cheaper than a custom Manufakture DT880/990.

Sony CD900ST: Japan only but easy to find for around $250. Really needs a decent amp for best sound. Supposed to make female vocals sound heavenly from a Little Dot 1+ (according to one of the members here), easily in budget. Probably not as detailed as the Beyer T70p and such, not sure about the DT series, sound quality varies a lot depending on amp and source. Smallish soundstage.

Shure SRH940: One of the cleanest looking waterfall responses I've seen from some online measurements. Supposed to be awesome for vocals. Same price as the Sony but looks like it may be better. Not keen on the cheap build quality, much worse than Beyerdynamics for example. 42 ohm means I can go for the Little Dot 1+.

Joshua

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 16
Also heard good things about the Sennheiser HD598 with vocals and soundstage. Supposedly better cables and a good amp brings it up to the level of the HD600/650 in detail and quality.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 16
I would really appreciate more feedback. I have been reading about the high THD that the new Shure's have and I am pretty disappointed. However, its real world performance (sound) what matters in the end.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
I would really appreciate more feedback. I have been reading about the high THD that the new Shure's have and I am pretty disappointed. However, its real world performance (sound) what matters in the end.

I thought it was quite audible in the bass, making it do not so good on bass-heavy tracks. Might be expectation bias though. Again, never trust a word I say about the Shures!

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 16
I just want to say that I own the HD600s, and they are not as mythically hard to drive as some would suggest. In fact, I was listening to them through my iPad at about 75dB (rough estimate,) which was only 50% up on the volume dial. While they didn't sound ideal, the still sounded pretty decent. Id recommend getting an amp/dac, like the O2+ODAC mentioned earlier to go with your next headphone upgrade, as well as future ones :)
Good luck on finding a suitable upgrade for you!
I've personally been very satisfied with the center soundstage on my HD600s. It makes vocals sound very close and intimate without being necessarily forward. Although I do desire more forward vocals as well sometimes, I've heard there are very few that do forward vocals without having a problem somewhere in the frequency spectrum.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 16
im in the same boat :p listen mainly to kpop jpop cpop ballad and female voice music

owned hd598 loved its mids and vocal, and awsome comfy, but wanted an upgrade
wanted better build and bass and deep

bought hd650 loved its piano and instrumential sound/ deep and seperation and bass, missed hd598 mids and vocal. and missed that hd598 could put a smile in my face. so still searching

narrowed down to these after month of research
these should be awsome with vocal :3

akg q701
akg k400/k401
sony ma900
sony cd900st
hifiman he400

still hard to decide what to buy, and need to order fast, just sold my hd650.

hope people can help me 2 in here

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 16
im in the same boat :p listen mainly to kpop jpop cpop ballad and female voice music
owned hd598 loved its mids and vocal, and awsome comfy, but wanted an upgrade
wanted better build and bass and deep
bought hd650 loved its piano and instrumential sound/ deep and seperation and bass, missed hd598 mids and vocal. and missed that hd598 could put a smile in my face. so still searching
narrowed down to these after month of research
these should be awsome with vocal :3
akg q701
akg k400/k401
sony ma900
sony cd900st
hifiman he400
still hard to decide what to buy, and need to order fast, just sold my hd650.
hope people can help me 2 in here

Hmm, I can advise against the Q701 For vocals. I never felt the center stage was ever quite "there" so vocals sounded distant... Of course I also had an E7, which probably wasn't powerful enough, so YMMV.
If you don't mind weird instrument tonality, check out the ATH-AD2000. Supposedly the best HP for forward vocals...

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #13 of 16
yeah i dunno, mpst of them i have only read about them.

wish i could try the listed one out but cant try before buy :frowning2:

hmm read somewhere that ad900 was a bit better overal for vocal music/pop/ballad over the ad2000 :/

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
yeah i dunno, mpst of them i have only read about them.
wish i could try the listed one out but cant try before buy
frown.gif

hmm read somewhere that ad900 was a bit better overal for vocal music/pop/ballad over the ad2000 :/

Might have been the A900Xs instead of the AD900? I thought the former did much better on vocals than the latter.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #15 of 16
Based on everything I have read, I have decided to get the Shure SRH1840. At this point, I will still take any recommendations but please make direct comparisons to the SRH1840, regarding vocals (pop, ballands). Hopefully they meet my expectations specially with vocals. Will the Fiio E17 be enough to drive the Shure SRH1840 properly? Are they a good match? Is there any other amp on that price range that would be better? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back