Best of the Best: Meet the Apos Ray 6SN7 Reserve Vacuum Tube
Feb 8, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #16 of 128
Looks great! And put me down as supporting 5998 new production.

I have seen speculation that these are high-testing tubes from Psvane factory. Anyone have inside info?

Feb 8, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #17 of 128
Apos Audio Free Shipping, Lowest Price Guarantee, Apos 2nd Year Warranty and 45-Day Return Policy on all carried products. Check out Apos Ensembles, Apos Specials, and Apos Certified products. Stay updated on Apos Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/aposaudio https://www.instagram.com/aposaudio/ https://apos.audio/ contact@apos.audio
Feb 8, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #18 of 128
@Apos Audio Curious what do y'all consider a "standard NOS tube"? It would help me get some kind of idea on what's what, as I have heard quite a few NOS 6SN7's.

Feb 8, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #19 of 128
Looks great! And put me down as supporting 5998 new production.

I have seen speculation that these are high-testing tubes from Psvane factory. Anyone have inside info?
+1 for this, a full Apos tube set in the Euforia might be fun :o2smile:

These do remind me a lot of the Psvane CV181-T MKII due to the grayed out portions as well as other details, one of the reasons I haven't jumped on either of their 6SN7s yet. I would like to know more.

Feb 8, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #20 of 128
For someone who claims to have excellent tubes and performance, the warranty is quite pathetic. Do you not have confidence in your product? 🎧🖖🏽🏕️

Feb 8, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #21 of 128
$400 A PAIR!?! Ouch.

Feb 9, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #23 of 128
@Apos Audio Curious what do y'all consider a "standard NOS tube"? It would help me get some kind of idea on what's what, as I have heard quite a few NOS 6SN7's.
Seems expensive to me as well. I have a lot of time under my belt with 6SN7 tubes as well and have never loved PSvane tubes. Plus, there are some awfully good wartime 6SN7s that are less than $370 for a matched pair. They would need to be exquisite to even be considered.

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #24 of 128
I love the Linlai Elites. They are my daily driver most of the time in my HA-300mk ii. I'd love to hear these at some point. I really enjoy a warmer sound.
The Linlai E-6SN7 Elite are certainly a tough nut to crack, when it comes to New production 6SN7

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #25 of 128
The warranty sucks it's crazy that you can buy a old nos tube from the 50 and 60 that was made with really old technology yet it still works and sounds great I've some that have been used for 5+ years with zero issues. Yet a modern tube made with "cutting edge engineering" gets a misery three months that's showing a lot of confidence in your product.

Feb 9, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #27 of 128
Back in 1970, these war tubes were priced at 0.2 cents, but today they are overhyped, despite the value and materials remaining the same at 0.2 cents. This exemplifies the entirety of the audio hobby, where items are purchased at prices 10,000 times higher.

Feb 9, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #28 of 128
Hello,

expect a Nos but modern sound, at least that's what I can say about the 6SN7 Ray Select from Apos Audio.
This tube has a lot of great, good features. I have not found anything negative about it.
In my review of the Select I wrote that it beats the Linlai Elite and some good Nos tubes.
Firstly, the bass range of the Linlai is a bit spongy, the second is Linlai plays a bit more neutral and has a slight depth in the upper end.
With the 6SN7 Ray Select, the bass range is nice and clean and firm, offering a slightly warmer sound.
I also wrote in Review that you shouldn't choose a combination that is too warm, otherwise it will start to mask, which is typical if you listen too warm.

As far as the 6SN7 Ray Reserve is concerned, I think you can expect something similar and perhaps you can immerse yourself even deeper in the music here.
What you should also consider here is that there can be structural changes between Select and Reserve.
Examples of this are black instead of grey plates, a different arrangement of the upper grille as well as plate shape and things like that,
A material selection can also be affected here - copper bars, for example.
Coated not coated.

It should be clear that this is reflected in the price.
In the end, quality tubes have their price.

The comparison between Nos "Holy Grail" vs New Stock.
Here's a question for you: what is Holy Grail supposed to be?
Again, this can be very subjective and is ultimately down to the judgement of the listener.
As a Feliks Euforia owner, I can say that I have tried various 6SN7s and Holy Grails too, but not everyone has to like them.
Personally, I have a hard time with the Brimar GTY where a pair can cost $1200 and can also pass for a CV1988.
Now I have strong reservations about the Euforia as far as the tube is concerned.
In my 2nd amplifier this tube strangely does a better job.
But is it really worth $1200? Not for me, I get many other good tubes for that.
Also for this amp I got an ECC35 Mullard (which passes as Holy Grail) very cheaply.
I asked the seller why he was selling them, they are new.
His answer was that he was not convinced by the Eddie Current Zana deus and preferred other less good tubes.
As you can see it's 50% subjectivity (your ears) & 50% amp thing (setup, amp typical things).
The latter we divide again by 50% because here Dac,speakers,headphones play into it,as well as various software like Roon,Audirvana ect and of course other certain synergies that are hardware related.
What you should understand here and what you should understand is amplifier design, as you can see with the Brimar Gty I mentioned I am not very happy with it on an OTL amplifier, but on a Tc amplifier I am.
Amplifiers also work very differently depending on the design.
Things like operating point of the tube, plate current, is only part of getting the tube to its optimum point. Here it has advantages as well as disadvantages like life cycle ect.
The choice of components in an amplifier is just as important as the transformer winding itself, the construction of the transformer and the choice of transformer material are just some of the other things that make a good amplifier.

Is your amplifier bad now?
Well, judge for yourself.
Personally, I think that commercial amplifiers do not reach their limits.
There are other reasons for this, such as longevity, competition on the market, for example, as well as costs in the procurement of materials, labour costs and manufacturing costs.
Very few people are prepared to wait 3 months for this.

These are things that also influence the life cycle of a tube, as I wrote above.
That's why you can't criticise the quality of the tubes here.
As I have already tested 12AU7 and 6SN7 Select, I can tell you that you don't need to worry here.
The quality is right here and compares favourably with other new stocks where there is still something to learn.

Apart from that, you will learn to understand how your tube amplifier works to get an optimal and satisfying result.
Things like what is the Mu gain of the tubes is something that is important, power output of the amplifier.
What combinations can you run with this amplifier in terms of driver/output tubes.
Rectifier tubes, if provided, can influence the amplifier, albeit subtly in most cases.

As far as the warranty of Apos Audio tubes is concerned, they can't guarantee absolute quality, but you should know that they do their best to offer you a tube that is made in America, regardless of where the tubes are manufactured.
And it's also a kind of trademark in that respect, at least that's how I feel.
3 months is actually a cycle where the tubes report failure.
However, I will tell you that 90% of the time these things are noticeable right at the beginning and in the first few hours.
I have already explained everything else above.
At this point I must also tell you that the human factor also plays a role, listen a lot, let the amplifier run unnecessarily.
Storage of the tubes can be bad, direct sunlight when not in use.

As far as Sophia Electric is concerned, I think it is a pity that it is not mentioned here that they offer different tubes that are categorised in ABC and also in price. Apart from that, you pay for an extended warranty yourself.
Otherwise, the warranty period is only 30 days.
And Apos Audio's offer of 3 months is very generous in comparison.

Feb 9, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #30 of 128
Hello,

expect a Nos but modern sound, at least that's what I can say about the 6SN7 Ray Select from Apos Audio.
This tube has a lot of great, good features. I have not found anything negative about it.
In my review of the Select I wrote that it beats the Linlai Elite and some good Nos tubes.
Firstly, the bass range of the Linlai is a bit spongy, the second is Linlai plays a bit more neutral and has a slight depth in the upper end.
With the 6SN7 Ray Select, the bass range is nice and clean and firm, offering a slightly warmer sound.
I also wrote in Review that you shouldn't choose a combination that is too warm, otherwise it will start to mask, which is typical if you listen too warm.

As far as the 6SN7 Ray Reserve is concerned, I think you can expect something similar and perhaps you can immerse yourself even deeper in the music here.
What you should also consider here is that there can be structural changes between Select and Reserve.
Examples of this are black instead of grey plates, a different arrangement of the upper grille as well as plate shape and things like that,
A material selection can also be affected here - copper bars, for example.
Coated not coated.

It should be clear that this is reflected in the price.
In the end, quality tubes have their price.

The comparison between Nos "Holy Grail" vs New Stock.
Here's a question for you: what is Holy Grail supposed to be?
Again, this can be very subjective and is ultimately down to the judgement of the listener.
As a Feliks Euforia owner, I can say that I have tried various 6SN7s and Holy Grails too, but not everyone has to like them.
Personally, I have a hard time with the Brimar GTY where a pair can cost $1200 and can also pass for a CV1988.
Now I have strong reservations about the Euforia as far as the tube is concerned.
In my 2nd amplifier this tube strangely does a better job.
But is it really worth $1200? Not for me, I get many other good tubes for that.
Also for this amp I got an ECC35 Mullard (which passes as Holy Grail) very cheaply.
I asked the seller why he was selling them, they are new.
His answer was that he was not convinced by the Eddie Current Zana deus and preferred other less good tubes.
As you can see it's 50% subjectivity (your ears) & 50% amp thing (setup, amp typical things).
The latter we divide again by 50% because here Dac,speakers,headphones play into it,as well as various software like Roon,Audirvana ect and of course other certain synergies that are hardware related.
What you should understand here and what you should understand is amplifier design, as you can see with the Brimar Gty I mentioned I am not very happy with it on an OTL amplifier, but on a Tc amplifier I am.
Amplifiers also work very differently depending on the design.
Things like operating point of the tube, plate current, is only part of getting the tube to its optimum point. Here it has advantages as well as disadvantages like life cycle ect.
The choice of components in an amplifier is just as important as the transformer winding itself, the construction of the transformer and the choice of transformer material are just some of the other things that make a good amplifier.

Is your amplifier bad now?
Well, judge for yourself.
Personally, I think that commercial amplifiers do not reach their limits.
There are other reasons for this, such as longevity, competition on the market, for example, as well as costs in the procurement of materials, labour costs and manufacturing costs.
Very few people are prepared to wait 3 months for this.

These are things that also influence the life cycle of a tube, as I wrote above.
That's why you can't criticise the quality of the tubes here.
As I have already tested 12AU7 and 6SN7 Select, I can tell you that you don't need to worry here.
The quality is right here and compares favourably with other new stocks where there is still something to learn.

Apart from that, you will learn to understand how your tube amplifier works to get an optimal and satisfying result.
Things like what is the Mu gain of the tubes is something that is important, power output of the amplifier.
What combinations can you run with this amplifier in terms of driver/output tubes.
Rectifier tubes, if provided, can influence the amplifier, albeit subtly in most cases.

As far as the warranty of Apos Audio tubes is concerned, they can't guarantee absolute quality, but you should know that they do their best to offer you a tube that is made in America, regardless of where the tubes are manufactured.
And it's also a kind of trademark in that respect, at least that's how I feel.
3 months is actually a cycle where the tubes report failure.
However, I will tell you that 90% of the time these things are noticeable right at the beginning and in the first few hours.
I have already explained everything else above.
At this point I must also tell you that the human factor also plays a role, listen a lot, let the amplifier run unnecessarily.
Storage of the tubes can be bad, direct sunlight when not in use.

As far as Sophia Electric is concerned, I think it is a pity that it is not mentioned here that they offer different tubes that are categorised in ABC and also in price. Apart from that, you pay for an extended warranty yourself.
Otherwise, the warranty period is only 30 days.
And Apos Audio's offer of 3 months is very generous in comparison.
I get all that, and yes tubes are a subjective taste, and there isn't one that best them all. That being said the wording in their description saying, "Unlike most tubes available today that are New Old Stock (NOS), ours are brand new, hand-selected, and rigorously-tested to meet our strict quality standards. By bypassing the unpredictable quality of NOS. . .", doesn't add up, and it seems like they are trying to pull one over on people new to tubes. Most if not all my NOS tubes are bullet proof and built to last, and have been rigorously tested as well. Heck some of my NOS tubes are rated for 40,000 hours. . .Is there any long term testing done on these new tubes, or is it just speculation?

Also, it says that their tubes are, "A substantial upgrade from standard NOS tubes", and what does that even mean. Is there a "standard NOS tube"? I will go ahead and answer that question with a big no.

Seems very enticing for someone new to tubes, but as an old tube guy it's gonna take more than fancy wording and a few reviews to convince me they are "better". . .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back