Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jul 26, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #16 of 4,790
Same as the DT 1770, it means you cannot run them balanced as it is only 3 pin, I think they should have used 4 pin personally.

But a lot of people mod headphones for dual entry for balanced either way, but it would have been easier to have 4 pin in the first place. I suppose you could just swap the 3 pin out for a 4 pin as they would be the same size.

To be honest there's simply no call for balanced headphones in the studio, and that's what these are - studio headphones. There are reasons why pretty much everything else in the studio is balanced, but it's just not needed with headphones.

I really do wonder what the general obsession is with balanced headphones in the HiFi world.

Anyway my order is going in for these ASAP. The DT1770s are an absolute steal for the price, and I suspect these will be as well. Plus they look so cool as well.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #17 of 4,790
To be honest there's simply no call for balanced headphones in the studio, and that's what these are - studio headphones. There are reasons why pretty much everything else in the studio is balanced, but it's just not needed with headphones.

I really do wonder what the general obsession is with balanced headphones in the HiFi world.

Anyway my order is going in for these ASAP. The DT1770s are an absolute steal for the price, and I suspect these will be as well. Plus they look so cool as well.

I personally don't use balanced, don't have the equipment, and there are misconceptions about balanced.

My point being they could have used 4 pin instead of 3 pin just for those who want to use them balanced, wouldn't have changed the design or anything.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #18 of 4,790

I just don't see the point in not doing it. In the studio I wouldn't know honestly, I have no idea what sort of equipment runs through in there and I know that's the primary use intended but I'm sure they are aware of the fact plenty of people use their PRO line of equipment elsewhere nowadays. Would using a 4 pin have impacted costs or design in any way? I can't really see it but maybe.

That and whilst said I personally am not bothered by the sonic performance of balanced vs SE headphones, in my case it actually matters - using the HA-200 monoblock I don't have a choice, the Schiit's Mjolnir 2 outputs 4 times less power through SE as opposed to balanced (though 2W at 32 via SE is plenty anyway), etc. I'm sure there are more situations such as these but I cannot speak for them from experience.

Brings me to my original point, I can't think of a reason not to do it in this day and age - even if it doesn't sound "better" there's plenty to be said when it comes to versatility and flexibility wouldn't you say?

PS: Not to mention some weirdos such as myself value cable customization very highly, length, fabric, colour, aesthetics in general. That's the other big reason I wish more manufacturers would use the more common connectors rather than these strange 1 ofs. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #20 of 4,790
If this turns out to be a refined version of the DT990 Pro, I'll be very interested. Though it had some pretty obvious short comings, that headphone was a heck of a lot of fun.

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #21 of 4,790
Dayumm. Take my moneys! 
eek.gif

Actually I'm not as excited. Just realized it only SE. 
frown.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #23 of 4,790
Dayumm. Take my moneys! :eek:  

Actually I'm not as excited. Just realized it only SE. :frowning2:

Oh, that's kinda booty. Though I'm sure places like Moon Audio will offer a balanced hack... For a price.

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #24 of 4,790
Oh, that's kinda booty. Though I'm sure places like Moon Audio will offer a balanced hack... For a price.

Actually the more I think about it, I don't mind it's only SE. I can use these with my OTL, which doesn't get used enough.

Jul 26, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #27 of 4,790
If this turns out to be a refined version of the DT990 Pro, I'll be very interested. Though it had some pretty obvious short comings, that headphone was a heck of a lot of fun.

See T90.  What DT990(pro) wishes to be, I believe, although the 600-ohm version of DT990 Premium already fixes everything I dislike about DT990pro's sound while remaining oh so very fun, and then T90 goes even farther.  I love my T90, but if it weren't around, I would gladly have a DT990-600ohm instead.

Oh man this is great but where is the dt1880?!

This one may turn out to be "DT1880" in the sense that you're thinking, for all we know.

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #28 of 4,790

See T90.  What DT990(pro) wishes to be, I believe, although the 600-ohm version of DT990 Premium already fixes everything I dislike about DT990pro's sound while remaining oh so very fun, and then T90 goes even farther.

Agreed.  The T 90 is in my 'Top 5 Headphones Under $1000'.

Jul 26, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #30 of 4,790
See T90.  What DT990(pro) wishes to be, I believe, although the 600-ohm version of DT990 Premium already fixes everything I dislike about DT990pro's sound while remaining oh so very fun, and then T90 goes even farther.  I love my T90, but if it weren't around, I would gladly have a DT990-600ohm instead.

This one may turn out to be "DT1880" in the sense that you're thinking, for all we know.

I sure hope not...cause i am not a fan of the earcup design. I think the dt1880 is in the works...maybe they are saving the best for last. Otherwise skipping the number is a little convolute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back