beyerdynamic T1 90th Anniversary Limited Edition: Impressions and Discussions
Dec 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #16 of 55
Thanks for your answer!

I can only say what I heard directly from beyrdynamic - there is no sonic difference between the two, is what they stated. I believe after having both for some days at the same time. 

Taming Highs:

There is enormous clarity (highs) with the T90 and you don't want a bright amp with it for sure. However, I didn't find it too harsh or piercing unless you have really bad recordings.

The Aune T1 Mk2 works very well with it, the C5D from JDSLabs, Audio Engine D3 and of course the bottle head crack. I own all four and can confirm they make the T90 a beautifully balanced headphone. I wasn't too impressed with the Schiit Asgard and Valhalla or Nuforce iconHDP that I own as well, though I do like them with other headphones. I listened to a recabled T1 for a few weeks and I loved it. It's in every way better than the T90. But the T90 is good enough to not make me sell everything to move up.  One day I will upgrade to the T1 for sure but since I have the T90, there is no rush.

Cheers,
K

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #17 of 55
Thank you for your impressions! So T90J sounds great and is picky but not toooo picky right?

Schiit Audio is great value for money for most of its models but unfortunately they do not pair up well with my gears. I am glad that you have more than a pair of amplifiers that go well with your T90J!
biggrin.gif
 No thoughts on getting more new toys at the moment huh? 

As a side note, it is interesting to note that audiophiles in China argue that the Achilles heel of T90 is the cable. They argue technically the driver units are superb but it requires users to recable the headphones to unleash its potentials. But recabling is probably not a good idea for the Jubilee design.  

I like the sound of T90 very much as well. Hopefully one of my friends will get one so that I can borrow it after a full break-in
k701smile.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #18 of 55
Good luck!

No plans at he moment for any major purchases unless something really nice comes my way used for a good price. Other than that I am trying to sell a few things, already sold the T90 (non jubilee) and Schiit Valhalla, trying to get my stuff a bit more focussed. Of course, like everyone with a bit of an collectors touch, it's not so easy to let things go, haha.

Interesting thoughts about the recabling, could be true. I only ever heard the T1 recabled, don't know how they sound with the stock cable.

Cheers,
K

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #19 of 55
  This is an interesting impression indeed. Thank you! I do not listen to non classical music, which makes it rather hard for me to communicate my thoughts in most of my offline or private discussions. It strikes me hard when people ask for my thoughts on vocals of a particular model - I simply have no idea of what good vocals should be!

By mere speculation based on your comments, do you think T1B has an edge over male vocals then?

Without trying to be offensive or judgmental, how can you only listen to one genre of music? That seems akin to eating only one kind of vegetable. Don't you ever get curious about other styles of music? Forgive my intrusion into your thread, but I have never heard anybody say they only listen to one genre so that really caught my attention, and I'll be honest I found it jarringly surprising. Colour me intrigued.

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #20 of 55
Classical music certainly isn't akin to eating only one type of vegetable as it encompasses a wide variety of styles embracing several hundred years of composition by several hundred (thousand?) composers. Even if you restrict yourself, as I mostly do, to purely symphonic/orchestral works there's again such a variety that you're very unlikely to become ill from lack of any essential elements. Your comment would be more relevant were it referring to, say, rap or country, where the boundaries are much more confined.  

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #21 of 55
  Classical music certainly isn't akin to eating only one type of vegetable as it encompasses a wide variety of styles embracing several hundred years of composition by several hundred (thousand?) composers. Even if you restrict yourself, as I mostly do, to purely symphonic/orchestral works there's again such a variety that you're very unlikely to become ill from lack of any essential elements. Your comment would be more relevant were it referring to, say, rap or country, where the boundaries are much more confined.  

Sorry, that is still one single genre, no matter the breadth. There is wonderful musical expression to be found in every genre of music I have experienced. I guess I can't get my head around deliberately limiting my musical experiences. All I can say is that if you did this to a woman in bed (only one position) she would get bored!! A little humour.

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #22 of 55
I agree with pp312. 

And come on, this can never be offensive - I want discussion and this is definitely related to this thread, for I am new here and I do believe this is a good opportunity to share my tastes.

Classical music is often regarded as a misnomer. It actually refers to the style of composition of a particular period called the classical period. Notable composers in this period include Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven (but his later works are sometimes considered early-Romantic works). But basically the term classical music is now used as a general term for music that puts a stronger emphasis on musical and harmonic structure, forms and other more technical aspects.

I like the vegetable metaphor but if you wouldn't mind me modifying it a bit, I think it would be more appropriate to equate music to food, classical music to vegatables and perhaps other music as meat or other categories. And in each group (vegetables/meat) there are many subgroups (brocolli or tomatoes or spinach/beef or pork or fish). You may categorise classical music by period, with the better-known, larger subgroups being baroque, classical, romantic, neo-classical, soviet and modern. You may also categorise it by form, including sonatas, preludes, symphonic poems, concertos, symphonies and so on. Yet another way to categorise classical music is to do so according to the orchestration, say solo, chamber, chamber orchestra, sinfonietta or a full scale orchestra. The point I would like to make is that the variety of classical music is so huge that, similar to pp312, I think it will not bore me out that soon.

I listened to more genres during my teens but somehow I failed to find that 'click' in other genres anymore around the time I went to University. Another reason is that I only spend a limited amount of time on listening to music so I don't really have time to check out the ever-evolving fast paced music industry. 

But well, I occasionally click into the pop music links shared by my friends on Facebook and I use some pop/rock/electronic music shared by my friends to run my gears in, so perhaps my no non-classical music line is an overstatement. Sorry for that.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #23 of 55
For me the biggest problem with classical music is that there is so much of it, in so many different styles, that I have no hope of exploring even the more obvious avenues before my time runs out. I don't need to pursue other genres (I've sampled them, of course--who can avoid it these days?), and indeed I would only be wasting my time in unfertile furrows doing so. I like serious, dramatic music, so my collection includes a lot of film music as well, albeit from earlier periods (Golden Age anyone?). I find most popular music frivolous, but that's only because I'm an unashamed snob. I'll try to work on that. Meantime I'll continue to enjoy the outputs of Vaughan Williams, Shostakovitch et al, and my favourite film composer Miklos Rozsa, with the fervour of a glutton, never for an instant feeling guilty about what I may or may not be missing elsewhere.  

So cop that, all you Death Metal and Gangsta Rap lovers. The siren calls of your chosen genre leave me as cold as an anaemic streaker in Upper Uppsala.

tongue.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #25 of 55
  For me the biggest problem with classical music is that there is so much of it, in so many different styles, that I have no hope of exploring even the more obvious avenues before my time runs out. I don't need to pursue other genres (I've sampled them, of course--who can avoid it these days?), and indeed I would only be wasting my time in unfertile furrows doing so. I like serious, dramatic music, so my collection includes a lot of film music as well, albeit from earlier periods (Golden Age anyone?). I find most popular music frivolous, but that's only because I'm an unashamed snob. I'll try to work on that. Meantime I'll continue to enjoy the outputs of Vaughan Williams, Shostakovitch et al, and my favourite film composer Miklos Rozsa, with the fervour of a glutton, never for an instant feeling guilty about what I may or may not be missing elsewhere.  

So cop that, all you Death Metal and Gangsta Rap lovers. The siren calls of your chosen genre leave me as cold as an anaemic streaker in Upper Uppsala.

tongue.gif

Shame, actually. I assume (really hope) you're joking about being too snobby to even try other music. This seems to be an affliction in my experience almost unique to fans of longhair music. My in-laws are all classically trained musicians with similar disdain for anything that doesn't meet a narrow view of what is according to the musical elites' appropriately complex to be considered music. I am quite sure Bach would be inspired by some of the modern word smiths and musicians. Eddie Van Halen's virtuoso guitar prowess is most certainly deeply inspired by classical violin (in fact both he and his brother were classically trained pianists).  I feel sad for anybody who can't see beauty and genius in all of it's varied hues and guises, only able to recognize a limited palette. The Mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #26 of 55
Well I think pp312 by regarding himself as an 'unashamed snob' he was trying to note that though he found most popular music frivolous he still believed there are good popular music out there - only that he hadn't encountered with that many as of now. Just my interpretation.

I am vehemently against the idea of labelling any music as high or low. Everything has its beauty and I think everyone knows it. In my case it is more about what I like better and what I like less. I cannot say much for pp312 but I think with a strict time budget, his self-regarded 'snobbiness' or perhaps more appropriately put as 'lack of pursuit' of non-classical music is not an actual shame. There is a pecking order of things when the budget is tight.

I agree with you that not keeping an open mind towards anything is definitely not the best practice (towards anything). In my audiophile circle of friends we share our music frequently and I listen to every track they sent me, though very unfortunately most of them are left idle after my second or third trial. I think it would nice if wouldn't mind highlighting a couple of your favourite tracks so we can try them out.

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #27 of 55
Well my time budget used to be very tight till lately so I guess it is time for me to get some new CDs! I would be happy if Sonic Defender could perhaps recommend a few of his favourites for me.

And well, VW and Shostakovich, they are interesting but I fail to like them that much. If you have time I would recommend you to try out Nikolai Medtner and York Bowen, possibly Gottschalk as well. I find Medtner and Bowen's music particularly interesting. Medtner's music can be painful and energy-draining especially for his concertos and sonatas but I think it is rewarding if you would try to bear with his works for perhaps three to four times
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #28 of 55
Thank you, gentleman, for your somewhat straight-faced responses to my tongue-in cheek comments (I was really just having a bit of fun with words); I'll take your observations and recommendations on board. I should perhaps have mentioned that I'm 68, which means my time is limited not merely in terms of the hours in the day. I also suffer from tinnitus, which will further limit the time I have left for the enjoyment of music. Consequently I'll probably stick with my favourites.

As for Eddie Van Halen's virtuoso guitar prowess, it's no doubt a wondrous thing, but as it happens I detest the sound of the electric guitar; to these ears it ranks just below bagpipes. I'm also not a fan of singers of either gender. To me the greatest instrument in the world is the symphony orchestra, and I feel no particular compunction to stray from it into more popular fields. There is, after all, an almost limitless repertoire of recorded works for the symphony orchestra.

I know I'm incorrigible, but there it is. Spank me.
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #29 of 55
Hi!

I checked with beyerdynamic in Germany and got the info that this limited edition was exclusively produced for the asian distributor and was ONLY delivered to the asian market, ever. 

The first response was: there is/was no limited 90 edition of the T1 but after I sent the screenshot they must have realized that there was one but only for a local market :) so it's not really the most "official" limited edition, which makes it probably even more desirable...

Anyhow, sonic features and drivers are the same, however a different (balanced) cable can make quite a difference on it's own.

Cheers,
K

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #30 of 55
  Thank you, gentleman, for your somewhat straight-faced responses to my tongue-in cheek comments (I was really just having a bit of fun with words); I'll take your observations and recommendations on board. I should perhaps have mentioned that I'm 68, which means my time is limited not merely in terms of the hours in the day. I also suffer from tinnitus, which will further limit the time I have left for the enjoyment of music. Consequently I'll probably stick with my favourites.

As for Eddie Van Halen's virtuoso guitar prowess, it's no doubt a wondrous thing, but as it happens I detest the sound of the electric guitar; to these ears it ranks just below bagpipes. I'm also not a fan of singers of either gender. To me the greatest instrument in the world is the symphony orchestra, and I feel no particular compunction to stray from it into more popular fields. There is, after all, an almost limitless repertoire of recorded works for the symphony orchestra.

I know I'm incorrigible, but there it is. Spank me.
tongue.gif

Ahhh the quotes from my previous replies aren't there. Too bad.

I am sorry to hear about the tinnitus. Chronic health problems are disturbing. I personally suffer from chronic back pain and I don't think I have ever been able to enjoy a Bruckner 8 with my full attention. 

With regard to the greatest instrument, I am afraid I have to admit that our choices are different: having started playing the piano at 3 I consider myself a piano guy. But I think the combination of our choices goes well: I like piano concertos quite a lot. 
biggrin.gif

Please see if you don't mind highlighting any of VW's work that is good - I lost my interest after finishing two cycles of his symphonies.

Also, best wishes to your health.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back