beyerdynamic T1 90th Anniversary Limited Edition: Impressions and Discussions
Dec 9, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #31 of 55
  Hi!

I checked with beyerdynamic in Germany and got the info that this limited edition was exclusively produced for the asian distributor and was ONLY delivered to the asian market, ever. 

The first response was: there is/was no limited 90 edition of the T1 but after I sent the screenshot they must have realized that there was one but only for a local market :) so it's not really the most "official" limited edition, which makes it probably even more desirable...

Anyhow, sonic features and drivers are the same, however a different (balanced) cable can make quite a difference on it's own.

Cheers,
K

Thank you for the information! That's why I was able to start the thread huh, I am happy not to be in the UK for now or else I would have missed it
rolleyes.gif

It is interesting to have this Asian version instead of an 'official limited version'. Thank you for letting us know about this.

I am about to schedule a few meet-ups with headfiers here in Hong Kong, some of whom have a T1/T1B with them. Let me see if they would post theirs thoughts later after our (intensive) AB tests. I might do the honours if they decided to maintain a low profile
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #32 of 55
  Thank you, gentleman, for your somewhat straight-faced responses to my tongue-in cheek comments (I was really just having a bit of fun with words); I'll take your observations and recommendations on board. I should perhaps have mentioned that I'm 68, which means my time is limited not merely in terms of the hours in the day. I also suffer from tinnitus, which will further limit the time I have left for the enjoyment of music. Consequently I'll probably stick with my favourites.

As for Eddie Van Halen's virtuoso guitar prowess, it's no doubt a wondrous thing, but as it happens I detest the sound of the electric guitar; to these ears it ranks just below bagpipes. I'm also not a fan of singers of either gender. To me the greatest instrument in the world is the symphony orchestra, and I feel no particular compunction to stray from it into more popular fields. There is, after all, an almost limitless repertoire of recorded works for the symphony orchestra.

I know I'm incorrigible, but there it is. Spank me.
tongue.gif

Did you not enjoy popular music as a young man? I'm trying to understand how somebody ends up with such a rigid view. I certainly have things I don't enjoy, but that net I cast very close to the boat fearing a wider swath will catch too much that I might enjoy. I have been close to tears listening to a cello solo played on a instrument crafted in the early 17th century. I have watched Yitzhak Pearlman plow into Bach and been unable to look away, completely mesmerized. I have also watched Billy Talent belt out a tune (Try Honesty) about the sexual abuse suffered by many at the hands of some Catholic priests. A few years back I watched Dave Brubeck perform and the magic was awe inspiring. I can also appreciate well crafted hip hop that is about social issues, not about how big a dudes member is and how he can wrap it in thousand dollars bills. There is so much to hear.

Painting all popular music as frivolous is actually highly inaccurate; in fact, one can make a case that classical musical has it's roots firmly planted in social banality. I wouldn't want that to be completely taken as my view, but it bears scrutiny. Classical and choral music as I understand it was the plaything of the aristocracy who would bathe themselves in opulence and decadence while the masses of people around them did without a great deal. The wealthy benefactors commissioned much of the historic catalogue to elevate and demonstrate their social standing. I have a difficult time picturing the well-to-do graced in unimaginably wonderful attire waltzing while the Black Plague stocked the poor and ignorant (who of course only had access to the rude music that gave birth to what many people today now listen to). You disparage the bagpipe despite the significance it holds to the history and culture for many. That can be viewed as unkind, and it smacks of elitism even if you intended that or not.

Say what you will about popular music, but much of it is real and speaks about things that matter rather than proudly displaying a couth musical pedigree. Perhaps popular music isn't grandly structured around historically hallowed musical practices and perhaps it lacks the scale and power of a full orchestral movement cheered on by mostly well-to-do white people with plenty of disposable income (yes I am white with a modest amount of disposable income so hypocrisy dooly noted). What it often has is a message that connects common people to a shared experience, one that the elite scoffed at as the plight of the rude and dirty. I know that many classical pieces convey emotions and experiences through complex passages and nuanced transitions, and I appreciate that, quite a bit actually, art is art to me. However, much of the historical context of classical music should be reflected upon as the inception was entertainment and social ascension of the powerful. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #33 of 55

Thank you, gentleman, for your somewhat straight-faced responses to my tongue-in cheek comments (I was really just having a bit of fun with words); I'll take your observations and recommendations on board. I should perhaps have mentioned that I'm 68, which means my time is limited not merely in terms of the hours in the day. I also suffer from tinnitus, which will further limit the time I have left for the enjoyment of music. Consequently I'll probably stick with my favourites.

As for Eddie Van Halen's virtuoso guitar prowess, it's no doubt a wondrous thing, but as it happens I detest the sound of the electric guitar; to these ears it ranks just below bagpipes. I'm also not a fan of singers of either gender. To me the greatest instrument in the world is the symphony orchestra, and I feel no particular compunction to stray from it into more popular fields. There is, after all, an almost limitless repertoire of recorded works for the symphony orchestra.

tongue.gif

Ahhh the quotes from my previous replies aren't there. Too bad.

I am sorry to hear about the tinnitus. Chronic health problems are disturbing. I personally suffer from chronic back pain and I don't think I have ever been able to enjoy a Bruckner 8 with my full attention. 

With regard to the greatest instrument, I am afraid I have to admit that our choices are different: having started playing the piano at 3 I consider myself a piano guy. But I think the combination of our choices goes well: I like piano concertos quite a lot. 
biggrin.gif

Please see if you don't mind highlighting any of VW's work that is good - I lost my interest after finishing two cycles of his symphonies.

Also, best wishes to your health.

Thanks for your commiserations. Yes, tinnitus is a drag, but hey, what can you do? I'm sure chronic back pain's no picnic either.

The piano. Yes, the king of instruments. I'm always up for a good piano concerto, though you've probably never heard of my favourites: The Vaughan Williams Piano Concerto in C, and the Miklos Rozsa Piano Concerto Op. 31 (written for and much championed by Leonard Pennario--check YouTube). As for VWs works, I tend to swim against the tide by preferring the later symphonies 8 and 9 (nine especially), though I can happily listen to them all. In fact there's not a lot of VW I can't listen to, even the choral Sea Symphony. But perhaps my favourites is a little 12 minute effort originally written as 'Variations for Brass Band' but transcribed for orchestra. So moving. There's an air or spirituality in VWs work that I've never heard from any other composer save the religious film scores of Miklos Rozsa (Quo Vadis, Ben-Hur, King of Kings).  

A critic once wrote of VW: "His music offers something utterly unique to those who can respond to it ". Which of course acknowledges that many will fail to respond to it.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #34 of 55

tongue.gif

Did you not enjoy popular music as a young man? I'm trying to understand how somebody ends up with such a rigid view. I certainly have things I don't enjoy, but that net I cast very close to the boat fearing a wider swath will catch too much that I might enjoy. I have been close to tears listening to a cello solo played on a instrument crafted in the early 17th century. I have watched Yitzhak Pearlman plow into Bach and been unable to look away, completely mesmerized. I have also watched Billy Talent belt out a tune (Try Honesty) about the sexual abuse suffered by many at the hands of some Catholic priests. A few years back I watched Dave Brubeck perform and the magic was awe inspiring. I can also appreciate well crafted hip hop that is about social issues, not about how big a dudes member is and how he can wrap it in thousand dollars bills. There is so much to hear.

Painting all popular music as frivolous is actually highly inaccurate; in fact, one can make a case that classical musical has it's roots firmly planted in social banality. I wouldn't want that to be completely taken as my view, but it bears scrutiny. Classical and choral music as I understand it was the plaything of the aristocracy who would bathe themselves in opulence and decadence while the masses of people around them did without a great deal. The wealthy benefactors commissioned much of the historic catalogue to elevate and demonstrate their social standing. I have a difficult time picturing the well-to-do graced in unimaginably wonderful attire waltzing while the Black Plague stocked the poor and ignorant (who of course only had access to the rude music that gave birth to what many people today now listen to). You disparage the bagpipe despite the significance it holds to the history and culture for many. That can be viewed as unkind, and it smacks of elitism even if you intended that or not.

Say what you will about popular music, but much of it is real and speaks about things that matter rather than proudly displaying a couth musical pedigree. Perhaps popular music isn't grandly structured around historically hallowed musical practices and perhaps it lacks the scale and power of a full orchestral movement cheered on by mostly well-to-do white people with plenty of disposable income (yes I am white with a modest amount of disposable income so hypocrisy dooly noted). What it often has is a message that connects common people to a shared experience, one that the elite scoffed at as the plight of the rude and dirty. I know that many classical pieces convey emotions and experiences through complex passages and nuanced transitions, and I appreciate that, quite a bit actually, art is art to me. However, much of the historical context of classical music should be reflected upon as the inception was entertainment and social ascension of the powerful. 

Since you've enquired in a serious vein I'll reply in kind, even though my previous responses were rather tongue in cheek. However, I suspect that those who expect to find impressions of the T1 in this thread will soon be complaining.

As a young man, yes, I enjoyed a few songs off the radio. But my favourites, even at 15, were the scores mentioned in the post above (Ben-Hur, Spartacus etc). I drove my parents and the neighbours crazy. I loved/love dramatic music. It's just a quirk. OK, I'll say it, I'm a weirdo. But perhaps not entirely as I've also enjoyed much Bach (the harpsichord concertos transcribed for piano, for instance) and Handel (the Concerto Grossi). But I'm inexplicably drawn to 20th century works, perhaps because of that early grounding in film music.

I won't comment on your history of classical music as it's not something I'm equipped or would wish to dispute. As for the message and relevance of popular music, I wouldn't dispute that either. It would be surprising if nothing of social relevance or importance had been written since the 50s. However, it's not in a form that catches my ear (and I'm not much into protest anyway). Also, it's a thing entirely grounded in the earth sphere, whereas the best classical music has the capacity to transcend our everyday existences and arouse in us feelings only true art can.

I didn't mean to disparage the bagpipes. I find them annoying, but they have a grand pedigree. May they reign forever.

Lastly, before we get this thread shut down, may I congtratulate you on a beautifully written and extremely erudite post, of the kind Head-Fi isn't likely to see again for a while. It may be irrelevant to the T1, Anniversary edition or otherwise, but it's been extremely interesting to me.  

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #35 of 55
I sincerely hope that this thread won't be shut down due to the preceding discussion. Written words might look a bit harsh but I think the discussion is so far stimulating but not heated.

Thank you for your recommendations on VW's works. Indeed I have not heard (not even have I heard of!) that piano concerto in C but I will look it up. Hopefully it won't take me much time to find a good recorded performance.

I have just ordered another amplifier for my T1B and will update my impressions very soon.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #36 of 55
I would also like to say that I am extremely pleased that despite our conversation straying off topic and into a more personal direction; I also feel it was a useful conversation, and one that I feel has been cordial even if a little strained around the edges. In retrospect it is clear that I indulged myself a little more than I should have, so I do apologize for that as it really isn't my business to be calling people out for their individual preferences. I think any administrator that stumbles upon this thread would be well served to let it be as it in my opinion is an excellent example of members conducting themselves appropriately and putting the brakes on before a situation got out of hand. Back to the real topic of the thread gentleman; I hope you get more topical participation. Cheers.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #37 of 55
Just want to say I was never irritated or annoyed in any way. Indeed I enjoyed being more closely questioned, and very much appreciated the intelligence and lucidity of the postings. It wasn't headphones, but it was damn stimulating.

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #38 of 55
Hi, I've noticed that you've posted in erji.net, actually I and one of my friend both bought this T1 90th recently. I totally agree the sonic character and the difference that you've described between T1/T1B.

and My System Setup is kind of similiar to you, DAC: Bricasti M1 HeadphoneAmp: Violectric V281

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #39 of 55
  Just want to say I was never irritated or annoyed in any way. Indeed I enjoyed being more closely questioned, and very much appreciated the intelligence and lucidity of the postings. It wasn't headphones, but it was damn stimulating.

Same here, all the best and my your symphonic voyages be euphoric!

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #43 of 55
Hi, I've noticed that you've posted in erji.net, actually I and one of my friend both bought this T1 90th recently. I totally agree the sonic character and the difference that you've described between T1/T1B.

and My System Setup is kind of similiar to you, DAC: Bricasti M1 HeadphoneAmp: Violectric V281

Ah congratulations! I start to appreciate my T1B more and more after some extensive burning-in. It sounds more relaxed now with better extensions in both ends and better coherence. And ahhh ha! On erji.net. I used to be active in forums in Hong Kong but I have decided to get international - it is more fun to share and listen to more head-fiers.

Your system looks a lot more advanced than mine. I'm wondering how do you find the balanced out of V281? I had spent some time auditioning the all new V281 when I was in Munich this May but with that noisy environment I couldn't try it out properly.

I got sold at the shop today, beautiful packaging, and comes with the balanced cable, quite good value for money I think. :wink:

Congratulations! Hope you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts here some time soon!

Isn't that illegal?

I lost it when I saw you reply.

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #44 of 55
Dec 14, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #45 of 55
I must admit I wasn't too impressed when I first compared it with my K812 with the T1 right out of the box. Even though the soundstage was impressive, much wilder and with more details than my LCD-X/3, there was some strange incoherence between the highs and the lows, it's as if the highs and lows were coming out of 2 difference systems, kind of hard to explain, and also the treble seemed a bit harsh. I was running tnem through my Pioneer U-05 balanced with some acoustic guitar and vocals music I recorded in 24/192 sourced from an AK240 via optical, but the K812 still managed to beat it hands down unbalanced. The K812 just sound incredibly natural and pleasing with a much more open soundstage.

I decided I wouldn't listen to them again until after they've had some burning in. I plugged the T1 into a mini HiFi playing some Rihanna and it sounded surprising good! Punchy, detailed, rich sounding and full, very impressive indeed even before burning in. Right now they've been burnt in for about 50 hours, will be looking forward to listening to them again after another 50 hours. I guess the T1 are better for pop music maybe?

Congratulations! Hope you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts here some time soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back