Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Mar 1, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #511 of 4,487
Hello.  I'm looking for a set of headphones for my Asus Xonar Essence One but was thinking of getting a 600Ohm pair simply because this amp was capable of pushing that much.  Do we know if Beyerdynamic is going to release a 600Ohm version of these?

Thanks

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #513 of 4,487
Yo,

The T90 is somewhat source/amp dependent. I know the DT990 changes a bit between amps and is it's driver similar enough, there might be similar outcome. I didn't have the X-CANV8P on hand to demo the T90 on but I suspect it would have been smoother, like the DT990.

Too bad I can't stand the T90.

Quote:
I find that with DACport LX it makes my T90 shine. The bass now have more slam and the midrange is nowhere recessed. I think with these combo and my current amp; Graham Slee Solo II, I might have found my endgame. With that said I have yet to audition the HD800, HE-5/600 and the LCD-2/3.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #514 of 4,487
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Hey,

The T90 and K702 are both bright, but the T90 reminds me of a MDR-V6 with it's brightness and harshness of sound. The K702 is much smoother and sounds more refined, but lack the detail of the T90's. The T90 also has more bass, much more, but not bloated or exaggerated. The K702's abss is more reserved and lacks some weight but overall is more pleasant and smoother, if that makes sense. Now the midrange aspect is very different between them. Both have a midrgange recession, but the T90 has very little midrange to it. The sound is thin and the elevated treble does not help at all. The K702 is still somewhat thin but has a lot more body to it and sounds more natural. The soundstage differences are big to me. The T90 has a smaller more enclosed sounding soundstage, but offer a better sense of imaging. The K702 has a very wide and shallow soundstage, but the imaging is kind of wonky at times.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #515 of 4,487
Quote:
Yo,

The T90 is somewhat source/amp dependent. I know the DT990 changes a bit between amps and is it's driver similar enough, there might be similar outcome. I didn't have the X-CANV8P on hand to demo the T90 on but I suspect it would have been smoother, like the DT990.

Too bad I can't stand the T90.

Like others have said, everyone hear things differently. :)

I do admit it's a somewhat sibilant pair of headphones, so it's not for everyone and I can understand if a person does not like the T90. I've got used to the sibilance but on some tracks it can be somewhat disturbing.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #516 of 4,487
Have been listening to the T90 paired with a WA3+ and a WA7. Listening to mostly very well recorded jazz. Have yet to experience any sibilance to my ears. Chesky's Binaural+ albums are spooky for timbral and spatial realism.

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #519 of 4,487
Now I feel like I want to get myself a WA7.
size]

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #521 of 4,487
Quote:
Hi,

So am I. It's an awesome headphone. The DT990 is one of the best headphones under $400 IMO. Nothing is really better except for say the DT880.

It's really too bad that beyer fumbled on this one. The T90, well, sucks IMO. It's nothing like the DT990 except for it having a crap ton of treble and thin mids. The soundstage is kinda weird, the treble is so sibilant and peaky, the sound has a "zing" to it. I could go on and complain more but I think I've made my point.

Damn, that's the kind of the answer i didn't want to hear. Got a get to listen them tomorrow and get my DT990 600 Ohm and D5000 with me.

Especially after DT990 that i adore i really have had mostly missteps with my various headphone buys. Not too happy with my two favorite headphone brands recent products really. Maybe i should admit that i have found the pair that deliver what i want and keep investing on speakers that i find to have easier upgrade paths. :)
Oh well, I guess i know more tomorrow. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #522 of 4,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by tissot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not too happy with my two favorite headphone brands recent products really.

Yes, it worrying how most new "higher end" headphones released lately have been disappointing. First the HD700, then the T70 and T90, not to mention the Denon D600's and D7100's. Seems like small niche companies have taken the lead when it comes to making higher end headphones. I'm not worried about the future of giants such as Sennheiser, because I know if they really wanted to they could probably develop a headphone that will give people orgasms when listening to it, but its frustrating to have no new headphones in the mid-high end to choose. I mean, DT990, 880,  HD600/650 and K701 are all great headphones, but they're 300 dollar headphones nowadays, and if you want a proper upgrade, you need at least 3-4 times as much money.  Something in between these two leagues should exist that's actually worth buying. I'm still waiting to hear the HD700 and T90 to see how they fare against lower and higher end models, but most reviews on them are negative...

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #523 of 4,487
Not all reviews of the T90 are negative. Maybe I scored a special pair. Paired with a woo WA7 and Violectric V800, they sound very very good to my ears. They remind me of my ADAM S3A monitors in the studio.

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #525 of 4,487
The WA7+T90 combination is very addictive. I've been going through my library, listening to music I haven't played in years. I realize the T90 doesn't work for everyone, but those for whom it is a good match, the WA7 makes them sing. Have had many waaaay too late listening sessions recently. Don't want to stop listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back