Bose Sues Beats for Patent Infringement
Jul 31, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #136 of 186
  I have to largely agree with @macbob713 here, especially with my experience with two of Bose's later products, the Bose QC15 and the Bose QC20.

While I have noise-canceling over-ears with sound quality I prefer over the QC15, I still haven't heard a commercial over-ear actively cancel more noise than the QC15 (and the louder it gets around you, the better (comparatively) the QC15 sounds). The Bose QC20 actively cancels more noise than any other consumer active noise canceler I've yet used, period; and, again, because of this, the louder it gets around you, the better it can sound compared to most other options. That is, the louder the noise around you (especially, in my opinion, when a lot of that noise is low frequency noise, droning noise), the more dealing with that noise becomes perhaps the most important thing to contend with.

The QC15 and QC20 are very comfortable, too. Though the QC20 is an in-ear, its eartips are more like  shallow bowls that rest atop your ear canal--it's about the least invasive in-ear I've worn, and I can wear the QC20 all the way from Detroit to Tokyo without issue.

Long story short, Bose makes some quality gear, especially with these two flagship travel headphones. (I've briefly heard one of their Bluetooth speaker models, and was also impressed by it.)

While I'm not a Bose fan in general due to my view on the performance of their home audio products and somewhat deceiving marketing, I have always thought their noise cancelling headphones and certain sound reinforcement product good and extremely innovative.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #137 of 186
I have to largely agree with @macbob713
 here, especially with my experience with two of Bose's later products, the Bose QC15 and the Bose QC20.

While I have noise-canceling over-ears with sound quality I prefer over the QC15, I still haven't heard a commercial over-ear actively cancel more noise than the QC15 (and the louder it gets around you, the better (comparatively) the QC15 sounds). The Bose QC20 actively cancels more noise than any other consumer active noise canceler I've yet used, period; and, again, because of this, the louder it gets around you, the better it can sound compared to most other options. That is, the louder the noise around you (especially, in my opinion, when a lot of that noise is low frequency noise, droning noise), the more dealing with that noise becomes perhaps the most important thing to contend with.

The QC15 and QC20 are very comfortable, too. Though the QC20 is an in-ear, its eartips are more like  shallow bowls that rest atop your ear canal--it's about the least invasive in-ear I've worn, and I can wear the QC20 all the way from Detroit to Tokyo without issue.

Long story short, Bose makes some quality gear, especially with these two flagship travel headphones. (I've briefly heard one of their Bluetooth speaker models, and was also impressed by it.)

I've the QC15 over ear headphones and very impressed with their level of ANC, but not experienced the in ear QC20, so found your comment that these cancel more noise than the QC15.

Is this because the QC20 is in-ear, so by design it will have higher passive noise isolation in addition to its active noise cancellation tech at work, and by what level of degree do you estimate the variance of noise reduction/cancellation between the QC15 & QC20?

There's only one member review on head-fi and reviewer only gives the ANC feature a pretty low score of only 4/10 :confused_face_2:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/bose-quietcomfort-20i-acoustic-noise-cancelling-headphones

This review is of the Apple device compatible QC20 with an added "i" prefix attached, but I guess there wouldn't be any difference between Apple and Android versions of this earphone?

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #138 of 186
recently got the QC20, the innerfidelity review is way more spot.

Of course, sound quality is not high-end. But it's a well balanced sound signature
which feels a little veiled and loses some seperaration when the music is getting very complex.

Theri Noise canceling is impressive and filters out a lot of low freq noise and even voices sound more distant, but don't expect it to cancel out all noise below hearing threshold level.
That's just not possible today.

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #139 of 186
You have to be kidding me. Patent law exists to allow investors to reap monopoly rents for a statutory length of time. Without patent law why put in all of the effort, time and money developing new inventions, for the common good? Patent law is so important than it was specifically referenced in the US Constitution back in 1788 in Article I Section 8.

It's hard to know a good solution. On one hand, there is what you say, protect the time and investment out into developing an idea or tech. But on the other hand, the system is often abused and companies make generalized patents on future possible ideas, and squat on the ideas, keeping them as sort of a "nuclear arsenal" to use against other companies (or more likely smaller entities who independently think up a similar idea and make a product without setting up a defense case about why it's different from existing patents) if ever they get too close to releasing a product (or if the squatter company just wants to cash in). I don't know who is in the wrong if great ideas simply never see the light of day.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #141 of 186
Hopefully they both drive each other into the ground.  Wishful thinking on my end :D

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #143 of 186
I actually hope that this ends quickly and cleanly for all involved. Firstly because it costs us, the taxpayers, money.

Secondly, because Bose and Beats have done more for the current popularity of headphones (and I would argue loudspeakers) than any company in the last 1-2 decades. Beats started the current headphone renaissance. Whether we like it or not, that's a big part of the reason head-fi is as big as it is today. Now, I'm no fan of beats, BUT, I will say that I know dozens of kids who bought a pair of beats, and later strolled over to head-fi or best buys Magnus headphone section, and had their eyes opened. And the same people who then bought their first pair of Audioengines. Then Klipsch. Before you know it, they're looking at full blown loudspeakers and bookshelves, hanging around in high-end shops.
I was introduced to headphones by skull candy (a gift from as relative) then progressed to B&W, and now I'm on Grados and Beyers. Of course, I was into loudspeakers before that, but you can see the progression.
Getting headphone brands mainstream recognition is incredible, and I'm grateful for that. Beats newest headphones aren't half bad IMO. I wouldn't but them, and I still think they're overpriced, but they don't sound godawful like the older ones. Bosedoes not sound particularly good to my ears, but neither does it sound awful. And the ANC Bose has developed is truly above all other options. Again, I wouldn't buy it, and it's overpriced, but look what it's done for the industry. I don't know that we'd have things like the HD800, Audeze headphones, and He-6 without the headphone crazy introducing so many new members to head-fidom. And I seriously doubt we'd have the array of great value, mid-low-fi selections we currently have.

So instead of bashing, and hating, let's hope there are more converts from this publicity, because that helps our side of the industry.

Happy Listening!

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #144 of 186
I actually hope that this ends quickly and cleanly for all involved. Firstly because it costs us, the taxpayers, money.

Secondly, because Bose and Beats have done more for the current popularity of headphones (and I would argue loudspeakers) than any company in the last 1-2 decades. Beats started the current headphone renaissance. Whether we like it or not, that's a big part of the reason head-fi is as big as it is today. Now, I'm no fan of beats, BUT, I will say that I know dozens of kids who bought a pair of beats, and later strolled over to head-fi or best buys Magnus headphone section, and had their eyes opened. And the same people who then bought their first pair of Audioengines. Then Klipsch. Before you know it, they're looking at full blown loudspeakers and bookshelves, hanging around in high-end shops.
I was introduced to headphones by skull candy (a gift from as relative) then progressed to B&W, and now I'm on Grados and Beyers. Of course, I was into loudspeakers before that, but you can see the progression.
Getting headphone brands mainstream recognition is incredible, and I'm grateful for that. Beats newest headphones aren't half bad IMO. I wouldn't but them, and I still think they're overpriced, but they don't sound godawful like the older ones. Bosedoes not sound particularly good to my ears, but neither does it sound awful. And the ANC Bose has developed is truly above all other options. Again, I wouldn't buy it, and it's overpriced, but look what it's done for the industry. I don't know that we'd have things like the HD800, Audeze headphones, and He-6 without the headphone crazy introducing so many new members to head-fidom. And I seriously doubt we'd have the array of great value, mid-low-fi selections we currently have.

So instead of bashing, and hating, let's hope there are more converts from this publicity, because that helps our side of the industry.

Happy Listening!
that was beautiful man. Lol... So grado and Beyerdynamic? No AKG? People who like one of those three will usually like them all.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #146 of 186

Happy Listening!

I would give that credit to Apple's invention of the iPhone and I really don't like Apple but I gotta give credit where credit's due.  I, for one, hope Apple turns Beats into a solid headphone company.  Beats wasn't even big when the HD800s were released and I'm sure they were already in development years before but I get your point.  I'll admit Beats has brought a lot of attention to headphones but I still think Apple deserves most of the credit and then the rest of the smartphone industry.  I find it hard to celebrate a headphone company as Beats when they made a fortune selling crap headphones at high price (as does Bose with their products.  I disagree about Bose though, I don't think their contribution to ANC was as good as Sonys to my ears.  Just my .02.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #147 of 186
I would give that credit to Apple's invention of the iPhone and I really don't like Apple but I gotta give credit where credit's due.  I, for one, hope Apple turns Beats into a solid headphone company.  Beats wasn't even big when the HD800s were released and I'm sure they were already in development years before but I get your point.  I'll admit Beats has brought a lot of attention to headphones but I still think Apple deserves most of the credit and then the rest of the smartphone industry.  I find it hard to celebrate a headphone company as Beats when they made a fortune selling crap headphones at high price (as does Bose with their products.  I disagree about Bose though, I don't think their contribution to ANC was as good as Sonys to my ears.  Just my .02.
beats were huge when the hd800 was released in 2009... Beats came out in 2006, and its first headphone came out in late 2008. The hd800 would have come out either way, but i doubt it would have been as popular as it is... And no. Apple iPhone causing headphones to get popular? XD no. Sony Walkmans in the 80's-90's. Mp3 players in the early 2000's. Headphones have been popular ever since... Just not stuff at the 100$+ range. Apple just made a smartphone with a good marketplace, and got popular. They may have been a contributor to the headphone thing, but beats has by far made more audiophiles than apple. Apple made a phone. Back when the iPhone was released people used their Walkmans, mp3 players, and cd players. After the torrent of smartphones, people used those with the ear buds that came with the phone, or the Sony portable crap. Then 2008... Beats makes the first mainstream expensive audio product and boom! We have people thinking 150$ isn't that bad to spend on headphones.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #148 of 186
You got it all wrong, I am shure headphones are popular because of the Stax electrostats in the '70s and '80s xD
/jk

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #149 of 186
You got it all wrong, I am shure headphones are popular because of the Stax electrostats in the '70s and '80s xD
/jk
I know! You see those just EVERYWHERE.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #150 of 186
beats were huge when the hd800 was released in 2009... Beats came out in 2006, and its first headphone came out in late 2008. The hd800 would have come out either way, but i doubt it would have been as popular as it is... And no. Apple iPhone causing headphones to get popular? XD no. Sony Walkmans in the 80's-90's. Mp3 players in the early 2000's. Headphones have been popular ever since... Just not stuff at the 100$+ range. Apple just made a smartphone with a good marketplace, and got popular. They may have been a contributor to the headphone thing, but beats has by far made more audiophiles than apple. Apple made a phone. Back when the iPhone was released people used their Walkmans, mp3 players, and cd players. After the torrent of smartphones, people used those with the ear buds that came with the phone, or the Sony portable crap. Then 2008... Beats makes the first mainstream expensive audio product and boom! We have people thinking 150$ isn't that bad to spend on headphones.

The fact that Apple took the phone and combined it with a media player then added the capability of apps to be developed, making it the central hub for ones' portable needs then I yes I think they did make a much larger contribution. If the iPhone hadn't of been created I don't Beats would have been anywhere near as successful which is why I think Apple should given more credit than Beats amd definitely Bose. That's my oponion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back